Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
So then that would be a moot point in the younger generation not being taught things not because they are lazy but because the previous generation doesn't want to pass the knowledge. I get where you're coming from. I don't have to deal with company pension or depend on social security so neither of those things factor into my job and old timers not wanting to pass knowledge on.

·
Registered
2020 RGS, runs great out the gate.
1,738 Posts
...and even the medical profession is full of people willing to forgo science to not deviate from the peer pressure to tow the line big pharma presents. It used to be where drugs were a last resort, to now they are the first line. "Mr. twowheeladdict, your bad cholesterol is 3 points high and so is your glucose. Even though your ratios are good, I want you to take these prescriptions and we will check you again in 3 months." No mention of losing 50 lbs and then see where we are at. Just take these prescriptions with side effects outweighing the benefits for someone just out of range.
Our current society has the medical professionals afraid to speak out against the pressure, because those that do get ostracized.
Not just medical folks, I am just an old white privileged dude I am told, that's ostracized daily for using my first amendment right to say whatever the F I want to when I want to ... Most times it's after much provocation yet somehow I am the bad guy? That said, I am not shutting up, but I also am good at reading folks and I just find like minded, sane people that appreciate all that we have individually as well as collectively.

·
Registered
395 Posts
When I was doing my apprenticeship, my journeyman and the owner both told me that part of becoming a journeyman was a responsibility to pass on my knowledge which they did freely. As do I. My view on being a tradesman is I don't care who's paying or how long it takes. My job is to fix things properly. Take it or leave it. And yes I work for a Kenworth dealership.

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
212 Posts
I refuse to take my Glide to a mechanic, anytime that I need to do mechanical work or service to my bike, I break out the service manual, read and read a till I have basic understanding, then I do a deep dive on the internet, finding all the information for the solution I am looking for, then after that I YouTube it, between the three, I have always been able to fix or repair my bike, I figure I have saved thousands of dollars over the years, by working on my own bike. Plus there is some kind of satisfaction knowing that you performed the work, and did not have to give your money to the Steeler ship.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
In the past I did my own motor mods, most recently a stage 3 on a 103. But when I bought my new blacked out 2020 RGL, I decided to go the dealer route on my stage 2 to keep my warranty alive. Had the dealer install a stage 2 torque kit with heavy breather, free flow exhaust, and wideband fuel sensors with the auto tune module. Install was by their "master mechanic". Picked up the bike and all seemed ok except for some decel popping. But turns out the mechanic dented my right muffler during the install, so they ordered a replacement. Took it back for installation after the one they ordered arrived. Picked it up and it ran like crap. Got home and found out they ordered and installed the wrong size muffler! They had a 2.5 inch SE muffler on my 2.25 inch free flow head pipe. Could see a huge gap and air leak between the clamp and pipe! Additionally, the SE muffler they ordered did not match the free flow SE muffler on the other side (not even close). Made a bit of a scene with the service manager asking how they could make such a major error and then not even test it before sending it out the door. Had them order the correct one. Returned when it arrived but I would not let them install it. Turns out they couldn't anyways because they had no 2.25" clamps. Picked up the replacement muffler and a week later the correct clamp and installed it myself.

So, all good, correct? Not even close. The decel popping continued, although slightly better with the correct muffler and clamp on. So began checking all the exhaust clamps. Left muffler clamp was torqued to only 5 ft lbs, muffler was not all the way on the crossover pipe, and only half of the clamp was over the muffler. Then checked the crossover pipe. That one was never tightened at all, and could be rotated by hand. Re-torqued everything to specs. Popping much, much better though still have some minor popping. SInce they never touched the throttle body I assume the manifold bolts are tight. But now wondering about the head pipe nuts. I checked the lower rear nut and it was OK, but the upper rear and both front nuts are a real PIA to get to. But I can see I'm going to have to check all of them.

After all this I now have real concerns about the stage 2 they did. The same "mechanic" did all of the work on the bike, including the muffler reinstallation. Did he adjust the lash correctly? Did he Loctite the threads on the adjustable pushrods? Did he install the new cam bearings correctly? Does he know how to correctly use a torque wrench? So far it runs fine and there doesn't seem to be any excessive lifter or valve noise, but I can see that on some rainy day I'll be rechecking the lash and probably replacing the lifters while I'm in there.

I hope your local Harley dealer mechanic is more capable and careful than this bozo. But I do have friends who suffered similar mishaps at Harley dealers. One idiot even managed to install a belt guard upside down on a Classic! Another tightened a rear wheel on a Glide so much after a tire change that it cracked the wheel hub! So if you have your dealer work on your bike you may want to double check the work before you leave, just in case.
Mine are all equally as incompetent. Every single time they had to do any warranty work or add ons before I have my garage built. I absolutely had to put hands on it and finish tightening shit up. Or plugging accessory lighting back in. Yep. They're all fucking useless. They are technicians trained to change parts.

I know of one Mechanic. That is a certified Master tech. You see how I worded that right?

Yeppers it's a shame. The fucktards at my dealership complain when it's not a direct bolt on HD part. That's why I'm rebuilding my cam chest due to a bad lifter even though my warranty is still good.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
2,499 Posts
Mine are all equally as incompetent. Every single time they had to do any warranty work or add ons before I have my garage built. I absolutely had to put hands on it and finish tightening shit up. Or plugging accessory lighting back in. Yep. They're all fucking useless. They are technicians trained to change parts.

I know of one Mechanic. That is a certified Master tech. You see how I worded that right?

Yeppers it's a shame. The fucktards at my dealership complain when it's not a direct bolt on HD part. That's why I'm rebuilding my cam chest due to a bad lifter even though my warranty is still good.

I hear ya, my money is first spent on any tool needed, then the parts. I do have a Master Tech as a friend, who I call Tech Support now. :)

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I hear ya, my money is first spent on any tool needed, then the parts. I do have a Master Tech as a friend, who I call Tech Support now. :)
Yep. I order the tools as needed. Shit. I have a fork tube vise. Lol. Thing is awesome.

·
Registered
134 Posts
In the past I did my own motor mods, most recently a stage 3 on a 103. But when I bought my new blacked out 2020 RGL, I decided to go the dealer route on my stage 2 to keep my warranty alive. Had the dealer install a stage 2 torque kit with heavy breather, free flow exhaust, and wideband fuel sensors with the auto tune module. Install was by their "master mechanic". Picked up the bike and all seemed ok except for some decel popping. But turns out the mechanic dented my right muffler during the install, so they ordered a replacement. Took it back for installation after the one they ordered arrived. Picked it up and it ran like crap. Got home and found out they ordered and installed the wrong size muffler! They had a 2.5 inch SE muffler on my 2.25 inch free flow head pipe. Could see a huge gap and air leak between the clamp and pipe! Additionally, the SE muffler they ordered did not match the free flow SE muffler on the other side (not even close). Made a bit of a scene with the service manager asking how they could make such a major error and then not even test it before sending it out the door. Had them order the correct one. Returned when it arrived but I would not let them install it. Turns out they couldn't anyways because they had no 2.25" clamps. Picked up the replacement muffler and a week later the correct clamp and installed it myself.

So, all good, correct? Not even close. The decel popping continued, although slightly better with the correct muffler and clamp on. So began checking all the exhaust clamps. Left muffler clamp was torqued to only 5 ft lbs, muffler was not all the way on the crossover pipe, and only half of the clamp was over the muffler. Then checked the crossover pipe. That one was never tightened at all, and could be rotated by hand. Re-torqued everything to specs. Popping much, much better though still have some minor popping. SInce they never touched the throttle body I assume the manifold bolts are tight. But now wondering about the head pipe nuts. I checked the lower rear nut and it was OK, but the upper rear and both front nuts are a real PIA to get to. But I can see I'm going to have to check all of them.

After all this I now have real concerns about the stage 2 they did. The same "mechanic" did all of the work on the bike, including the muffler reinstallation. Did he adjust the lash correctly? Did he Loctite the threads on the adjustable pushrods? Did he install the new cam bearings correctly? Does he know how to correctly use a torque wrench? So far it runs fine and there doesn't seem to be any excessive lifter or valve noise, but I can see that on some rainy day I'll be rechecking the lash and probably replacing the lifters while I'm in there.

I hope your local Harley dealer mechanic is more capable and careful than this bozo. But I do have friends who suffered similar mishaps at Harley dealers. One idiot even managed to install a belt guard upside down on a Classic! Another tightened a rear wheel on a Glide so much after a tire change that it cracked the wheel hub! So if you have your dealer work on your bike you may want to double check the work before you leave, just in case.
Yeah, you would think that if HD wanted to be known a premium brand it should have qualified techs working on our 30k bikes. I've had similar experiences, now I just keep the bike stock and do all the service myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Talk about horror stories. I bought a 2018 CVO RG 117ci. Before I even saw the thing, I added the quick disconnect tour pack with the couch for her (add $1000 for CVO paint), Highway pegs, Stage IV with piggybacked tuner auto dyno, pipes, headers, big O2 sensors, the works. Yeah, I paid cash$$$$$$$ so I took this overpriced CVO and added overpriced additions and handed them a pile of money to do it right, right? WRONG!!!!! I made it 300 miles and blew the crap job up. We're talking around $55 + thousand dollars before I even saw the damn thing. New engine at a cost to corporate, $9000.00. Yeah, I should be good now right? WRONG!!!!! I made it up to 1300 miles and blew the damn thing up again. Guess what corporate? Another $9000.00 to you. Well, i should be good now right? WRONG!!!!!! 3 times a charm fellas. I made it all the way to 13000 miles. tires all warn out, some scratches in the paint, KABOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!! Engine #3 blows up but this time, the trans cooked, melted the sensors, melted the wire harness, smoke coming out of the intake and pipes. What a joke. Ah, she needed tires anyway. How much do you think a stage IV 117 engine, trans, sensors, wire harness cost corporate this time? I'm guessing $ 16-17,000.00. So that would put us at a $35,000.00 pile of junk parts. Don't forget the tires too. Hahahaha. The bike was $40,000 stock so I think the profit margin has an oil leak.
So, at my limit and without my primary mode of transportation for 6 months of these continuous episodes, I am offered the 2019 Mako Shark Fade with everything I bought for the 2018 replaced with brand spanking new. ($2,000.00 more than the 18 cost to Harley) OK Harley, last chance to get it right. BINGO!!!! I went 20,000 miles before I started to modify anything. She is broke in rather than broken. I'm comfortable spending more money on her now as she seems bullet proof. currently on my third set of tires and riding the east coast from Maine to Florida several times. I don't talk to that dealership any longer considering the exorbitant amount of money I spent for a shitty mechanic who couldn't even be bothered to re attach the wires each time he worked on it. Seriously, I throw that kind of money at you and you cant even put it together right? I bet the owner hovered over this clown when they built the 2019 as I'm sure the owner had to eat some of the costs of building a total of 4 bikes.
To top it all off, I was told corporate said I may not be riding the bike correctly. Bitch, I am in my 50's and have built bikes from scratch, sold them, and they are sill on the road today. I do it all from fabrication to paint. I currently have 9 bikes in my garage I own. I am a daily rider who ignores the weather. I've ridden so many miles in my life, without these problems, that I have a seat stuck to my ass permanently. I went through 8 big wheels since I was 4 and wore out every single one of them till the wheels wore off and I switched to 2 wheels with engines from 8 on. I've had just about every make and model out there so yeah, my ass is sore but do not tell me this is my fault and I'm not riding correctly because your bike sucks.
Bicycle wheel Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle tire
Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Wheel Rim
Automotive tire Wood Clock Auto part Metal
White Automotive tire Light Crankset Motor vehicle
Bicycle part Rim Automotive tire Nickel Bicycle drivetrain part
Gear Bicycle part Rim Nickel Machine tool
Automotive tire Tire Gear Motor vehicle Machine tool
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Riding toy
Photograph Water Blue White Light

·
Administrator
11,714 Posts
^^^^^

another reason to keep what I gots .. and is why I been doing 99% of the work on my scooters since the early '70's ..

sux big time ..

JtB

·
Registered
20 Posts
^^^^^

another reason to keep what I gots .. and is why I been doing 99% of the work on my scooters since the early '70's ..

sux big time ..

JtB
I have always done my own work. Times have changed. From ordering fast food, to buying used sex toys from aliens. They rarely get my order right. From my truck, to my house, to even ordering parts. People just don't seem to care at all. WTF! plays on a loop in my head and the best world renowned psychiatrist cant even prescribe the correct Thorazine dosage. My wife says "Take it to a professional". Why, so I can eat another case of tums when they screw up more of my crap? I don't care if its a lawn mower. My tools, my patience to use the correct thread sealer and actually use a torque wrench. I was a little intimidated when i had to flash my self installed stereo upgrade with a digital technician plugged in between my bike and laptop but presto!!! I now can be just as obnoxious as anyone playing bad music loud enough for God to hear. If you have the means, the tools, the place, the time, the patience, by all means, you are the only one who can do it right unfortunately. I only had Harley do it because the M8 was still new and having problems with valve seats, head gaskets, oil pumps, cam plates, sumping, etc. Not wanting to stay comfortably within warranty on such a new engine would have been a bad mistake at that point. Just don't tell anyone you know how to fix shit otherwise they want you to work on their bikes while they drink all of your beer, eat all your food, and make fun of you until the job is done.
Flash photography Style Black-and-white Font Entertainment

·
Registered
2021 RGS (Black and Chrome)
144 Posts
People generally will not care for your things as you do. I avoid having people work on my things - guitars, guns, bikes, etc….sometimes it is necessary, but most often than not I can do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 35 of 35 Posts