Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
10,479 Posts
Interesting, but the last sentence is very interesting indeed , one I had not herd yet ..

They did say some time ago , that there were some things they would not get away from with the engines that are part of Harley heritage .. Like V Twin and pushrods ..

JtB

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
We will see what happens and when.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Time for me to add to my collection of air cooled bikes before I can no longer do so.
Ya, I would say the days of the air head are numbered. But I wouldn't start saving up for this just yet. Corporations patent pretty much everything they try out these days, even the stuff that they know they wont produce. And based on the pushrod angles as shown, I don's see that being an economical VTwin lay out. But a modular head for a 1-2-3-4 cylinder inline would work, more so as the cylinder count went up and justified the two camshafts. It could also work with actuators in place of the pushrods, which is the cutting edge at the moment.

That valve drive setup is not a new concept, it looks like a Detroit 4 valve setup they used on the old two stoke diesels.

All in all, Me like.

Nice set of low mass rockers, with a short reach. And the bridge looks to be fairly light.

If that canister where the rocker contacts the bridge is a auto lash adjuster, then me not like. Looks an awful lot like a dual valve split lift set up Delphi screwed the pooch on years ago. And we all know that the MoCo ends up with a lot of Delphi cast offs.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Ya, I would say the days of the air head are numbered. But I wouldn't start saving up for this just yet. Corporations patent pretty much everything they try out these days, even the stuff that they know they wont produce. And based on the pushrod angles as shown, I don's see that being an economical VTwin lay out. But a modular head for a 1-2-3-4 cylinder inline would work, more so as the cylinder count went up and justified the two camshafts. It could also work with actuators in place of the pushrods, which is the cutting edge at the moment.
inline 4 with pneumatic valves (or even dc motors) sounds like a real screamer.

imagine the redline they could achieve without pushrods.

·
Registered
890 Posts

That valve drive setup is not a new concept, it looks like a Detroit 4 valve setup they used on the old two stoke diesels.

All in all, Me like.

Nice set of low mass rockers, with a short reach. And the bridge looks to be fairly light.

If that canister where the rocker contacts the bridge is a auto lash adjuster, then me not like. Looks an awful lot like a dual valve split lift set up Delphi screwed the pooch on years ago. And we all know that the MoCo ends up with a lot of Delphi cast offs.
I concur, and with a name like thermodyne(MACK TRUCK) I appear to have a classically trained diesel mechanic like myself amongst us, Bravo!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I concur, and with a name like thermodyne(MACK TRUCK) I appear to have a classically trained diesel mechanic like myself amongst us, Bravo!
To set the record straight, I'm not a trained diesel tech. I have an ASE cirt on the wall, but that was just from what I picked up over the years. The name came from my personality having a narrow safe operating band, much like a Thermodyne engine.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
inline 4 with pneumatic valves (or even dc motors) sounds like a real screamer.

imagine the redline they could achieve without pushrods.
There are some proof of concepts running for both designs. The electric one claims 50% thermal efficiency when used with variable displacement.

The heads I have see are very tall, but adding a rocker to the system would make it as short as pushrod engines.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
There are some proof of concepts running for both designs. The electric one claims 50% thermal efficiency when used with variable displacement.
Mr. Customer, it's time for your 10,000 mile stepper motor replacement.
That'll be (4 heads, 2 motors per head @$79.95) $639.60 please lol

they used pneumatic-actuated valves in F1 cars and got 19,000 rpm

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Interesting for sure, but can somebody correct me if Iam wrong...……...The top view drawing looks to me, like the intake & exhaust pushrods are on opposite sides of the engine????????

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Interesting for sure, but can somebody correct me if Iam wrong...……...The top view drawing looks to me, like the intake & exhaust pushrods are on opposite sides of the engine????????
YUP! Mentioned further down on the article

"The most obvious visual change is the positioning of the two pushrods on either side of the cylinders instead of together on one side on Harley’s existing engines. The current engine uses the pushrods to move a pair of rocker arm shafts, one to open the two intake valves and the other opening the two exhaust valves"

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
YUP! Mentioned further down on the article

"The most obvious visual change is the positioning of the two pushrods on either side of the cylinders instead of together on one side on Harley’s existing engines. The current engine uses the pushrods to move a pair of rocker arm shafts, one to open the two intake valves and the other opening the two exhaust valves"
LOL, I just look at the pictures.....Thanks

Reactions: Mischief
1 - 14 of 14 Posts