Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the Harley Road Glide Bi-Xenon Professional HID KIT from SoCalMotoGear. HID both high and low beams. They sure light up the road. The hardest part was getting more wires to fit under the "hood". The ballast mounting was easy with the double sided tape, but cramming the other stuff (connectors) in was a chore. Couldn't find the hooks so had to remove the lights and hook the outer fairing on to make room for the back of the lights to fit, but it was worth the effort. I didn't want to tie wrap the wires inside because I needed enough wire length in case I have to remove the fairing again especially with my garage door opener and radar detector under there.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have these but haven't installed yet. What are you doing for the garage door solution?

DJ Terry Moran

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have these but haven't installed yet. What are you doing for the garage door solution?

DJ Terry Moran
I took the door opener fob apart and tied 12v to it where the battery was then cut into the press to talk wires on the bike as I do not use the CB or mike. Soldered these wires to the terminals where the opener button was. Packed the circuit board into a sandwich bag to water proof it and tie wrapped it around a wire bundle under the fairing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I haven't seen the "H.I.D. kit" from SoCalMotoGear in person, but if they are like every other "H.I.D. kit" I've seen, you are really doing a disservice to other people on the road. H.I.D. bulbs use a projector in order to focus the light beam where the vehicle operator needs to see, but doesn't shine light everywhere else, such as in oncoming traffic's eyes. Your headlight housing is a reflector designed for halogen bulbs and cannot properly aim H.I.D. bulbs. With that being said, I haven't seen this particular kit in person, but you might want to check into it before you decide on keeping them on your bike. An easy test would be just have a friend drive toward you at night and get their feedback, or even better yet, have a friend ride your bike and you drive towards the bike at night so you can see if it interferes with your vision.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't seen the "H.I.D. kit" from SoCalMotoGear in person, but if they are like every other "H.I.D. kit" I've seen, you are really doing a disservice to other people on the road. H.I.D. bulbs use a projector in order to focus the light beam where the vehicle operator needs to see, but doesn't shine light everywhere else, such as in oncoming traffic's eyes. Your headlight housing is a reflector designed for halogen bulbs and cannot properly aim H.I.D. bulbs. With that being said, I haven't seen this particular kit in person, but you might want to check into it before you decide on keeping them on your bike. An easy test would be just have a friend drive toward you at night and get their feedback, or even better yet, have a friend ride your bike and you drive towards the bike at night so you can see if it interferes with your vision.
Maybe you should check out this thread,
Bi-Xenon Headlight Group Buy #4: April; 10 - 25, 2014

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe you should check out this thread,
Bi-Xenon Headlight Group Buy #4: April; 10 - 25, 2014
I read the thread you recommended, although I didn't notice any post in there by you talking about testing it. I'm not sure if there was one and it was deleted or what may have happened, but I would be interested in your actual data from your test.

I did notice one guy talk about the beam pattern being so dirty that he was afraid it would interfere with other drivers on the road, which is exactly what happens when you put a bulb not designed to work with a reflector into a housing that uses a reflector. A couple posts later, he did say that on a night ride, it didn't seem to bother other people on the road, so that is a start in the right direction as far as testing goes. I also noticed the guy that started the group buy said that they are good to go and he hasn't heard any complaints with all the ones that were sold. If this is why you directed me to that thread, I believe you either misread or just partially read what I posted earlier.

If you choose to run them without caring enough about other people using the road, that's on you. If you care enough to do a test, I would be interested in what you find. All I was doing was giving you a heads up all of the fake kits that I have seen have had a horrible light pattern that affected other drivers and that if I were you, I would test yours to see if it is like all of the other fake "H.I.D. kits."

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have ridden 20K+ miles with that kit and have yet to have anyone flash their lights at me for blinding them. I don't know where you get your info, or what kits you've used, but the hundreds that have used this kit and myself have recorded no such incidents/complaints.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I read the thread you recommended, although I didn't notice any post in there by you talking about testing it. I'm not sure if there was one and it was deleted or what may have happened, but I would be interested in your actual data from your test.

I did notice one guy talk about the beam pattern being so dirty that he was afraid it would interfere with other drivers on the road, which is exactly what happens when you put a bulb not designed to work with a reflector into a housing that uses a reflector. A couple posts later, he did say that on a night ride, it didn't seem to bother other people on the road, so that is a start in the right direction as far as testing goes. I also noticed the guy that started the group buy said that they are good to go and he hasn't heard any complaints with all the ones that were sold. If this is why you directed me to that thread, I believe you either misread or just partially read what I posted earlier.

If you choose to run them without caring enough about other people using the road, that's on you. If you care enough to do a test, I would be interested in what you find. All I was doing was giving you a heads up all of the fake kits that I have seen have had a horrible light pattern that affected other drivers and that if I were you, I would test yours to see if it is like all of the other fake "H.I.D. kits."

Considering the number of motorcyclist that are hit and killed by drivers
(especially left turners) that "didn't see them", personally I could care less if I inconvenience a few drivers because my lights are too bright. I'd rather inconvenience them by making sure they see me than have them hit me because they didn't! IMHO the more lights and the brighter the better. When these idiot cage drivers start paying attention to other traffic on the road, especially M/Cs, and get off their dam cell phones, and quit texting while driving, then I might change my opinion. BTW, my healights are stock, but I intend to upgrade to "DayMakers" as soon as I can afford them. My 2 cents. But I do run with my brights on during the day.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I haven't had not one on- coming car flash me. I like how bright these lights are during the day also.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I installed my kit last year and finally got around to adjusting them about a month ago. The factory setting was too low by about 18" at 25'. I thought they were bright before, but now they are great. Haven't had anyone flash me the brights since the adjustment.
My brother just put a kit in his Road King and thinks they are a big improvement as well. Looks good with the three light kit from So Cal Custom. He's talking about doing the same to his Ultra Classic. His stock headlamps (2010 & 2008) have a chrome reflector in front of the bulb so the light pattern from the Bi-Zenon bulbs is spread more evenly than on my RG without that reflector. Mine has more of a batwing shaped pattern, more noticeable on low beam.
Either way money well spent for better visibility both night and day.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Blinding lite?

A great deal of the blinding light issue you describe has to do with having the housings adjusted properly. Or having a passenger that will alter the ride attitude of a bike. Since The State of Texas has discontinued to check light adjustment I see this more frequently. Also seen body shops mis wire headlights after a collision. BTW, in your initial post you failed to make the point of POS "Fake HIDs". I will stick with my HIDs from PIAA until someone releases LEDS at a reasonable price!

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I mention "Fake H.I.D. kits," I am referring to the kits that are sold as H.I.D. kits, but are just a bi-xenon bulb. This is the same type of bulb used in an H.I.D. setup, but put into your stock reflector designed for a halogen bulb instead of a projector that is designed to aim the light correctly. The issue with this type of setup is not that your lights are too bright for oncoming traffic, it's the light pattern and spillage, as I mentioned in my previous post. Regardless of how you aim this reflector, the light is going to spill out of the intended light path due to the design of the bulb and reflector. Most people will not flash their hi-beams at you to indicate that your lights are too bright because they are not too bright, they are just in their eyes. This does not make them see you better, in fact quite the opposite as it hinders them from seeing anything for a couple of seconds. Now, in regard to oncoming cars noticing you, the stock headlights are plenty enough for people to see where you are, but you are right, they will notice you more with these as they draw more attention, sortof like the attenuating headlights and blinking tailights. Also, as I mentioned in my first post, I have not used this particular bulb, so it may be different from the 2 different bi-xenon bulbs that I have tried and the countless others that I have seen, and if you choose to use them, that's your choice (I would still be interested in someone doing the simple test that I mentioned in the first post to see if you feel your light pattern is a hinderence). All I was doing was trying to put a warning out in case the original poster wasn't aware of the possibility that his lights might be a hinderence to other drivers. If you are aware of this, and you don't care, then okay. If you were not aware of this, and my post caused you to check, good.

Keep in mind, I'm not telling you that you shouldn't run them. It's your bike, run what you want. If this particular bulb doesn't do like all the other ones that I've seen, good. If it does, and you don't care, okay too. Like I said, this was just a FYI type post for people that may not know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Speaking as a rider with a bad case of astigmatism I can contest that oncoming traffic intensely hinders my vision of the road directly in my path. I installed this kit simply because the OE lamps were way to dim for my eyes to correctly adjust to for evening/night riding.

With that being said I feel quite bad for others like myself, during evening/night riding I have to wear corrective lenses to correct the "halo" effect which hinders my vision. So I put my father on my bike after the socal install and we traveled on both an split four lane highway, line separated two lane highway as well as suburban/residential roads in opposite directions me on his bike. I was quite glad with the pattern of the lamps and they didn't flush my vision near as much as a fellow motorist with standard halogen bulbs pulling a trailer or those "YoShiMoto" kits all the sixteen year olds are putting on their standard lens cars.

I will defend that the "socal" kit did install a small deflector that doesn't allow the bottom of their bulb to reflect "DIRECTLY" towards the bottom of the OE lamp housing, hence causing the OE reflectors to better distribute the lamps beam more directly w/o the flushing that is in question.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Speaking as a rider with a bad case of astigmatism I can contest that oncoming traffic intensely hinders my vision of the road directly in my path. I installed this kit simply because the OE lamps were way to dim for my eyes to correctly adjust to for evening/night riding.

With that being said I feel quite bad for others like myself, during evening/night riding I have to wear corrective lenses to correct the "halo" effect which hinders my vision. So I put my father on my bike after the socal install and we traveled on both an split four lane highway, line separated two lane highway as well as suburban/residential roads in opposite directions me on his bike. I was quite glad with the pattern of the lamps and they didn't flush my vision near as much as a fellow motorist with standard halogen bulbs pulling a trailer or those "YoShiMoto" kits all the sixteen year olds are putting on their standard lens cars.

I will defend that the "socal" kit did install a small deflector that doesn't allow the bottom of their bulb to reflect "DIRECTLY" towards the bottom of the OE lamp housing, hence causing the OE reflectors to better distribute the lamps beam more directly w/o the flushing that is in question.
This is exactly the type of test I was referring to. Thank you for taking the time to both test your lights at night and come post results.

·
Registered
407 Posts
+1 on the test justchillaxin1....this was keeping me from getting them. Now I will get them with the next group by instead of the Daymakers. This will give me enough left over to buy new bars, grips and mirrors!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts