Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have spent 3 hours trying to find an answer. 18 rgu running with mk45, heavy breather, and Harley street tuner. I want to go catless only for the sound aspect. I miss the sound of my 103. I hate the way this bike sounds. So I hope removing the cat will make it sound mean again.

Can I run the harley tuner without a cat??

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can't answer your question exactly, but I can tell you this. Gutting the cat helps with heat. It will absolutely not make it sound like a 103. Nothing will. I have tried, and tried, and tried again. I'm embarrassed by the money I've spent looking for that sound. The M8 just won't sound like a 103.
I've got a gutted pipe and TABs with the Zombie baffles, S&S ac, and a FP3. It's the best sound I've found. But it ain't no 103.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Not an expert, but I believe you will need another tune when you remove the cat. The hd tuner should work just fine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured I won’t get that great sound but at least make it sound somewhat like a Harley. And thanks for the input. Guess I will have to have it dynoed.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
This^^^^^

If you remove the cat you will definitely need a new tune as it will run much too lean and the HD Street tuner will not allow you to richen it up enough because they only allow changes that stay within EPA compliance. It will also void your warranty even if it allowed for proper changes because it takes it outside of EPA compliance. You could run an aftermarket tuner but that can void your warranty also but I know guys are doing it with no problem so maybe someone can chime in on how they work that deal with their dealer.

The best way I feel, especially if you want to retain warranty, is to just upgrade to the SE Stage II torque cam and reflash to the factory MAP for that. It will make it sound better by giving it more of the Harley lope plus you will love the better throttle response and extra pull.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sgt Goody, you dont have your location in your profile, but contact Chris Waddel at Cycle Solutions if he is in an area near you. He can tell you what you need. He has a mobil dyno and hits most of the mid west/East coast shows. He also has fixed location shops that are open certain times of the year depending on the season and does the tuning himself. To put it simply, he is the WIZARD!! adown

1 - 13 of 13 Posts