Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have seen that Harley finally has come out with their Wireless Headset Interface Module, aka WHIM. This is a bluetooth interface to helmet headsets.

DO NOT BUY IT!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Great idea, but HD Screwed it up. They made it so it has proprietary coding that only does Stereo with a Harley branded Headset. All other headsets, like the ones you can buy from Sena, Cardo, or anybody else, will ONLY DO MONO!!!

Harley has their own headset, called a 20S, that is EXACTLY like a Sena 20S EVO, but with a Harley Logo on it. The one with the Logo does Stereo, the one without does only MONO with the WHIM.

Leave it to Harley to take a great idea, and totally fuck it up. I bought one with my new bike, and I got ripped off!!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
It was widely described here http://www.roadglide.org/53-audio/334290-adios-freewire-bluetooth-solution-hd-now-available.html , the effect you’re describing was already known.
It seems that the HD package is even better than the original sena + freewire due to an additional CODEC that guarantee a better stereo.
In the end, if you have no system, the HD package does not cost more than 2 Sena + 2 freewire. If you already have a different Bluetooth brand you are screwed anyhow, they play mono on Whim and do not connect to freewire.
Because you already spent the money for the whim, the only way to recover is to sell your headset on eBay and then get the branded HD ones (20S evo obviously)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Of course it would be nice if every component that every manufacturer made played nice with every other component from every other manufacturer, but how often have you actually seen that. You didn’t get screwed by H-D, you screwed yourself by not doing a little homework. Kinda like buying an 18 bike and crying because an after market tuner voided the warranty. People have known about it for months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course it would be nice if every component that every manufacturer made played nice with every other component from every other manufacturer, but how often have you actually seen that.

No, it would be nice if a company would not deliberately make their component incompatible. Bluetooth 4.1 is a very open and (supposedly) regulated standard. What HD did was add to it to make their systems only work with their own.

And, with Bluetooth, at least since 4.0 came out, I see it all the time. I have a number of Bluetooth devices that all seem to work well together. I guess I got complacent in thinking Harley would do the same.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What you say is true. Yes, it's a chickenshit deal.

That being said, I sold my Sena 20S headsets for a good price on eBay and bought the HD Boom 20s EVO
headsets. When you have all the components in place, it really does work well.

-Jay
Kinda hard to do research on something the sales guy brought up to sweeten the deal. Fortunately, I am still on my Sena SMH10B. I was looking at an upgrade as the SMH10 is only Bluetooth 3. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I found this as I was about to order the Sena 20S EVO. I found the HD 20S EVO for only about $10.00 more, but still at a pretty steep discount. I also have a running conversation with a Sena support tech. It may be possible to reflash your Sena 20S EVO with HD 20S EVO firmware, and get a connection. They did not say it explicitly, but did not deny it also.

Chickenshit should only be found near Tyson plants.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Kinda hard to do research on something the sales guy brought up to sweeten the deal. Fortunately, I am still on my Sena SMH10B. I was looking at an upgrade as the SMH10 is only Bluetooth 3. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I found this as I was about to order the Sena 20S EVO. I found the HD 20S EVO for only about $10.00 more, but still at a pretty steep discount. I also have a running conversation with a Sena support tech. It may be possible to reflash your Sena 20S EVO with HD 20S EVO firmware, and get a connection. They did not say it explicitly, but did not deny it also.

Chickenshit should only be found near Tyson plants.

Yep. You’re overdue for an upgrade. Just get over being upset about it and pick up a Boom 20S Evo from Boardtracker, Surdyke, or Horny Toad. You’ll be happy with the capabilities.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Got the WHIM installed today and the HD Sena 20S Evo's in the helmets. Can't figure out how to get it all to connect and work. We get great intercom without the bike running. But with the ignition on, intercom goes away, either with the Boom Intercom on or not, we cannot speak to each other. Is there a specific sequence that the pairing should happen? I've unpaired and re-paired both the rider and passenger units twice. The stereo comes through nicely, but hate losing the intercom.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

BG

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Got the WHIM installed today and the HD Sena 20S Evo's in the helmets. Can't figure out how to get it all to connect and work. We get great intercom without the bike running.

BG

Sounds like you’ve got the units paired to each other. Don’t do that. Pair each headset only to the bike. Let the infotainment system handle the intercom duties.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Been considering the Sena system now with their wireless to the bike. I'll be getting the WHIM because it's purpose built for my bike. Better sound and I'm sure all the voice commands work as they should.

My Ciro lights and my CD lights don't play well together. It happens.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep. You’re overdue for an upgrade. Just get over being upset about it and pick up a Boom 20S Evo from Boardtracker, Surdyke, or Horny Toad. You’ll be happy with the capabilities.

I was hoping not to have to upgrade until after I paid for all the other new bike goodies. The helmet has a few years left, and when it comes time for a new one, I was going to upgrade then. Just a bit pissed off I have to bring the upgrade forward to do what this thing should have been able to do in the first place.

I stay away from Surdyke. Not because their online service is bad. Their shop is nearby, and is the only one in town where I walked in, browsed for about 20 minutes, and left without anybody even saying hello. Most places go out of their way to say hi the moment you walk in the door.

Ordered one from Boardtracker online. No telling when it will get here. Fortunately, with the new fairing, I can hear the stock speakers just fine.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could you please elaborate on: My Ciro lights and my CD lights don't play well together.
Most likely the load balancing. Older bikes need load balancers with LED lights to make the flashers work properly. Newer bikes take care of that in the computer.

Personally, I stick to Custom Dynamics. Here is why. On my trip to Alaska last summer, somewhere along the way I busted open a rear shock and dumped oil all over the back of the bike. While cleaning, and waiting for my warranty shock, I noticed my CD Tri-Bar light was missing a few LEDs. I took a picture of it, and at 10:45 at night, went to their web page and posted a support request, with the picture. When I awoke in the morning (6:45 am) and looked at my email, there was a email from CD that said my replacement had been ordered and was on it's way. Warranty replacement. No questions asked.

THAT is what I call Customer Service!!!

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Could you please elaborate on: My Ciro lights and my CD lights don't play well together.
More of the magic strobe and my bag blades. Should have been more specific but was just making the point not everything will play nice.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Most likely the load balancing. Older bikes need load balancers with LED lights to make the flashers work properly. Newer bikes take care of that in the computer.

Personally, I stick to Custom Dynamics. Here is why. On my trip to Alaska last summer, somewhere along the way I busted open a rear shock and dumped oil all over the back of the bike. While cleaning, and waiting for my warranty shock, I noticed my CD Tri-Bar light was missing a few LEDs. I took a picture of it, and at 10:45 at night, went to their web page and posted a support request, with the picture. When I awoke in the morning (6:45 am) and looked at my email, there was a email from CD that said my replacement had been ordered and was on it's way. Warranty replacement. No questions asked.

THAT is what I call Customer Service!!!
I have a 16. No issue there. It's the controller from Ciro that Don't translate the info from the magic strobe. It's a programming issue. And Ciro had replaced anything that I've had an issue with without question. And when I asked them about the warranty length they pretty much said not to worry. They're going to cover it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Trying to understand. Why by a WHIM and Harley’s Sena headsets instead of swapping the radio out for one with Bluetooth already in it?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Trying to understand. Why by a WHIM and Harley’s Sena headsets instead of swapping the radio out for one with Bluetooth already in it?
the main problem is the connectivity with the handlebars control switches. On sharks the radio unit is too far to reach, handlebars controllers are essential

·
Registered
753 Posts
For the 13 and down it's a no brainer to just go with a aftermarket HU. Much tougher decision on the rushmore bikes. There's aftermarket units that do a lot of what the stock one does, but none that really do it all and do it well. It ain't perfect by any stretch, but it's a nice unit that's pricey to swap out to take 1 step forward in an area or 2 and a couple steps back in others.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts