Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 18 RGU coming and want to install the WHIM unit. I have a question about installation do you need the optional cable for installation on the 18? Also I see by youtube some guys are placing the update cable right under the fairing instead of removing tank and seat. Would this be a issue? Also who has the best price on the whim unit? Thanks Bob

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have a new 18 RGU coming and want to install the WHIM unit. I have a question about installation do you need the optional cable for installation on the 18? Also I see by youtube some guys are placing the update cable right under the fairing instead of removing tank and seat. Would this be a issue? Also who has the best price on the whim unit? Thanks Bob
I have a 16 RGU and the option cable was needed for my bike. As for running the plug under the fairing, I would think "in time" the integrity of the plug would weaken being exposed. Removing the tank is not a big job if you can turn a wrench.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
The cable was needed for my 2017 also.
Price with the discount WHIM and cable were $299. Basically the discount covered the cable.
Install was $124, for that price it was worth it drop it off pick it flashed done right. If you do it yourself you still have to have them do a flash download anyway.
Already had SENA S20 head sets. If you don't have head sets already Get the HD version , better sound quality. And HD version is more weather resistant.
Happy with mine , but for the next riding season I am going to pick up HD Version of the S20's . Grandchildren can play with the SENA only version.
Just to try it I did use the Data port with my laptop and HD software to reinstall the WHIM . It was easy and problem free.
Paired it with our old Q3's and they worked, Also the hard wired system still works with the WHIM installed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That's either something new from MOCO or something you did with your own install. When WHIM came out past summer, it was either bluetooth or wired, the bike wouldn't do both. At least that's what was reported on the forums. My bike has no hard wire.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

Hi you dont need the extra cable on 2018,and its not a big deal to remove the tank, i flash my bike before the install of my whim and it works for me

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Hi you dont need the extra cable on 2018,and its not a big deal to remove the tank, i flash my bike before the install of my whim and it works for me

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
I agree with ^^^ I too have an 18 and no extra cable needed. Running the cable to as the instruction states is not that bad. Another option that some have done is to run the cable to the left upper fairing glove box. Yes, that would require a slot(not a drilled hole), cut like a tab, pulled the tab down just a bit put the cable in, push the tab back up and put silicon on it for sealing. Keep in mind if you leave the cable under the fairing, for any updates you have to remove the fairing to do that. If you do the updates(which I believe one can), not a biggie, if the dealer does it, add the cost of time to remove the fairing.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
That's either something new from MOCO or something you did with your own install. When WHIM came out past summer, it was either bluetooth or wired, the bike wouldn't do both. At least that's what was reported on the forums. My bike has no hard wire.
Incorrect. Some had reported that the wire would not work with the WHIM installed they did not have it and where just assuming . Those of us that installed it early on tested the hard wire after the install and it work same as it always did with the WHIM installed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts