Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone says that Harley has their bikes running too lean to pas the emmions set by the feds and I saw that with my 09 Ultra Classic the plugs were as white as a ghost and the bike just seemed hot. Now with my 2011 fltruse after 2100 miles it seems hot but the plugs read almost like its close to running too rich. Gotta do something about the heat for the wifes right ankle. All suggestions appreciated

·
Registered
113 Posts
Smitty,
I have a ca bike, so we were "lucky" enough to get cats in our headers before the rest. I replaced the headers and exhust, added a power commander with autotune, better air filter and syn oil, and n oil cooler. MUCH MUCH better.

Do some searches for headers and pipes as well as tuners on this site...tons of info already posted here. I think the catalytic converter was the biggest issue, but the combination made it much more bearable.

Also, i take off my lowers in summer. That's just miserable (vented and non vented)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Do a stage 1 , replace the complete exhaust system to get rid of the "cat" in the head pipe, A/C and a tuner. Easiest and least expensive way is a PCV from Jamie at Fuel Moto, better slightly more expensive way is a Power Vison from Fuel Moto.

I went with V & H Power Duals and 4' rounds , Im currently running the PC V and there is no more heat off the 2011 than my old 2005 Fatboy had and the bike runs well. But I have a Power Vision on the work bench that arrived the afternoon I was leaving for vacation so as soon as I get home next week Ill be removing the PC V and flashing the ECM with the Power Vision, I dont know if it will really run any better but I like the idea of keeping the O2 sensors in the loop and not having a piggy back device so it was worth it to me.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Twalte
Got the lowers off and the syn oil and the cooler just wondering if takin the cat out runnin the stock mufflers would make that much diff and still run okay without a ecm upgrade and not run too lean?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Twalte
Got the lowers off and the syn oil and the cooler just wondering if takin the cat out runnin the stock mufflers would make that much diff and still run okay without a ecm upgrade and not run too lean?
I believe removing the cat will make it run a little leaner.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the Fuel Moto , 2 into 1 into 2 header pipe with stock mufflers , a SE air filter and the HD stage 1 down load and the bike runs great and the heat problem is gone . Stock exhaust also sounds better with cat gone .

·
Registered
113 Posts
Twalte
Absolutely...gotta lose the "cat". Stock mufflers may be ok, but that cat in the headpipe is not helping you at all.
+1 for Fuel Moto - great outfit
I use the autotune module with my PCV, but i'd encourage you to do more research on this site for tuners. I was trying to keep the cost down and they use the O2 sensors to adjust the fuel map.
Not a fan of the vance and hines (i have the power duals and they touch down in the turns in the mountains) If i could go back and do it again, i'd get the jackpot headers from FuelMoto. I think i"ll grind them down with a few more turns, but it's a very uncomfortable experience when they do hit. If you'Re looking for a deal, i'd gladly sell them. :)

Just my 2 cents. Check out the site in each category...great forum members!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I went with Jamie got fuel moto headpipe to remove the cat, some of his 3.5 mufflers and a pc-v he programed for me. Bike is much cooler and runs great!. Its not very loud until you open it up, then its still not obnoxious. At normal riding the engine just sounds good. No problem talking to the better half

·
Registered
185 Posts
buy a oil bud oil cooler you wont believe the tempature drop i just put one on my bike and cant feel any heat. u feel a little befor the thermastat opens up 190 degrees and then its gone.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
This can easily turn into an exercise in throwin cash.

My 08 when purchased in Dec 07 was great. Great turned to summer and damn dat puppy was hot! So off I started

Powercommander to add fuel, Cams to make the motor breath, big air filter to feed the engine, true duals and slip ons to better flow the exhaust, oil cooler to help out, saddle shield to shield my boys, along with reflective insulator tape on the backside of the saddle shield and backbone of the frame, and wala motor runs cooler, and feels cooler.

20 grand - price of admission
making it something you like and are comfortable with - priceless

1 - 10 of 10 Posts