Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This fall I'll have approx. 43k on the bike. At that point I was thinking of up-gradeing to the "SE" compensator but, why? What clear cut advantage is there to the "SE" comp, over OME? Maybe, I'm showing my ignorance here but, can someone explain to me the technical abvantage.

Also while in the primary area I thought I would change the clutch plates and spring. Are there better clutch plates than Harley's "SE's"

Nevadasun

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
HD stock compensators in the 2007 to 2010 models have a weaker spring and a different ramp angle and this resulted in poor starter performance such as starter clunk, grinding and starter stall and at first HD did not reconize this as a problem with the compensator sprocket and refered to this problem as "Normal". After time HD got tired of waranty starters because the dealer woud replace the starter when actually it was the compensator sprocket that was cause of the problem. I don't have all the facts on hand right now because I am on the road but I believe that 2011 was the first year HD switched to SE compensator sprocket in the Road Glides with the 103 engine and made it standard equipment in all of the 2012 touring models. The SE compensator has a different ramp angle and stronger springs which took care of the issues caused by the earlier stock compensators. Check to make sure but depending on the year of your bike you may already have the SE compensator in your primary.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Well my understanding of the SE comp, and im sure ill be corrected if im wrong, it can withstand more abuse then the stock. They are factory installed on the CVO models and 2011s and up non CVO models. The "stock" comps came from the older motors and were installed on the newer 96"ers but were a common failure because the couldnt withstand the added torque the larger displacement motors made. I can say though when mine failed i upgraded to the SE version and it made a vast improvement with shifting, finding neutral and the overall performance of the engine. It seemed to me that it made the motor feel alil tighter when it came to going through the gears

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The SE comp design may have stronger spring and better ramps to better resist bottoming out. But it's just as prone to wearing out, in fact I'd say it's probably going to wear out at the same rate as yours. I have a lot of wear on my compensator last time I looked at it in late May. I've had the SE compensator from day one (2012 103") and it's noisy and has been since new...

Maybe Harley will figure out a real fix for this poorly redesigned component, some day.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'll call Horney Toad HD in Texas and start getting some pricing. Is there a better set of clutch plates than HD, "SE's? Don't really want to go with another design.....

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Ok, I'll call Horney Toad HD in Texas and start getting some pricing. Is there a better set of clutch plates than HD, "SE's? Don't really want to go with another design.....
Do you really need new clutch plates? If so I'd say Barnett is a go to company. I would skip Barnetts Kelvar plates, I think they're finicky. HD is fine also. Honestly for a street bike without major upgrades I'd choose by price. :)

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
If youve had pretty much 40+k trouble free miles with the stock clutches then id say stick with what works. Thats assuming you need to replace the clutches. The MoCo clutches are pretty durable if you keep everything adjusted properly

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
I have over 40K on my stock clutch plates with no problems but I have the SE clutch spring in since 4K. The problem with the stock compensator along with the SE compensator sprocket is the oiling of the sprocket on the shaft. There is no way for oil to come in and lubricate the shaft the compensator is on and this will eventually result in failure, some people have cut a groove in the inside compensator sprocket to allow oil to flow in and lubricate the shaft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fix for the failing SE Comps

You will want to have a look at compensaver.com or gmrperformance.com
This stops the failures. $399 and you are done

Keep the shinny side up!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
You will want to have a look at compensaver.com or gmrperformance.com
This stops the failures. $399 and you are done

Keep the shinny side up!!!
Will be replacing my compensator very soon as it is beginning to rattle like a bunch of marbles bouncing around in the primary. I am actually considering installing the compusaver unit on my 13 RG. Assuming you have installed one on your bike. http://www.compensaver.com/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts