Road Glide banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking about upgrading my radio in my 2000 SE Road Glide to a Harmon Kardon 76160-06 . From searching this forum, I came to the conclusion that:

It is a direct mechanical fit.

Same connectors that plug right in.

The only issue I will have is that it needs some kind of reprogramming that can only be done at the dealer??

I like the fact that it will play MP3 CD's and it is more powerful with a better sound.

Also it is an OEM type radio. I wouldn't even consider aftermarket.

Is it worth the cost and effort though?

·
Registered
336 Posts
ChuckB I've got a HK radio (2013 Road Glide) with CB adapter and 4 speakers for sale!

Reactions: ChuckB

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Thinking about upgrading my radio in my 2000 SE Road Glide to a Harmon Kardon 76160-06 . From searching this forum, I came to the conclusion that:

It is a direct mechanical fit.

Same connectors that plug right in.

The only issue I will have is that it needs some kind of reprogramming that can only be done at the dealer??

I like the fact that it will play MP3 CD's and it is more powerful with a better sound.

Also it is an OEM type radio. I wouldn't even consider aftermarket.

Is it worth the cost and effort though?
What's wrong with Aftermarket ? Way better than oem.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The dealer will tell you that it won't work, but it will. If the HK is used, there is no programming required. If it is brand new, it will have to plugged into an 06-13 bike and turned on. That will complete the programming. The only other programming that is needed is to turn on the rear speakers and the F-R fader, and/or the CB option. Those do have to be done at the dealer. If you buy a used one with these features turned on, you will only have to plug it into your bike. FYI - HogTunes told me that they have found that the old Radio Sound units have a higher output and less distortion than the HK units. But no MP3 CDs. I waited until mine quit and then went aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
That figures; I was told the same thing at the local H-D dealership. I don't get it though - why do they claim that it doesn't work? I was considering swapping my OEM radio on my 2001 CVO. The CD-player (in the Tour Pack) went AWOL and the casette-deck on the radio is getting ready for retirement (btw getting some mc-casettes are not easy in the 21st century. Luckily I saved my old ZZ_top tapes from the 1980s! :D)
But getting a HK-player is pricy to say the least so maybe an aftermarket player makes better sense and save you some bucks as well!

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
I guess I am an OEM kind of guy. I am happy with the 2000 radio, so the HK one will be fine for me.

You should hear the one in my '86.. it really sucks!
Back at ya :). You should hear the Alpine 149 bt in my 2010. It will blow you away.
On a side note, going aftermarket will cost a bit more out of the gate due to the install kit and handle bar control interface. I was just going to keep oem HU, but so glad I didn't, but for each his own. Good luck either way you go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back at ya :). You should hear the Alpine 149 bt in my 2010. It will blow you away.
On a side note, going aftermarket will cost a bit more out of the gate due to the install kit and handle bar control interface. I was just going to keep oem HU, but so glad I didn't, but for each his own. Good luck either way you go.
Reading the reviews and watching the videos about the Alpine.. what a beast! Aren't you concerned with it being doused with a water hose?

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Reading the reviews and watching the videos about the Alpine.. what a beast! Aren't you concerned with it being doused with a water hose?
VTWCR Harley Road Glide waterproof radio cover, fits 1998 to 2013 models | Motorcycle Audio Accessories | V-Twin Audio & More

Not with the Vtwin install kit & splash guard I was referring to in the initial extra costs. I ride in the rain a lot down here in GA. A couple of weeks ago I embarrassed my buddy who just spent $1100 on a boom upgrade to his 2015 SG Special. He brought is bike over bragging until he heard mine side by side . I got half as much in mine less the install kit, as he does in just his upgrade. He rode back to HD and slapped the sales guy.:)

Reactions: reds4 and ChuckB

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I embarrassed my buddy who just spent $1100 on a boom upgrade to his 2015 SG Special. He brought is bike over bragging until he heard mine side by side . I got half as much in mine less the install kit, as he does in just his upgrade. He rode back to HD and slapped the sales guy.
Kind of reminds me of how my buddy spent 22K for his '14 Street Glide and my old, heavy '86 FLT, (engine modified mind you), took him off the line and held side by side wide open. Can't wait till he gets back from his cross country trip so I can challenge him with my, purchased while he was gone, 2000 SE !

:grin:

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Does anyone know if the speaker impedance is different between the two units? (XXXXX-98 verses XXXXX-06)
I'm pretty sure 06 was the first year of the HK head unit which were 2 ohm. All previous were 8 ohm.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are correct.

I found a set of 2 ohm speakers from an '06 and got my radio installed. Haven't had a chance to try it out on the road, but everything works great in the garage. Here it is:

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
looks just like factory. (not that that is a bad thing) :D

I had always heard that the plugs were different between the rs unit and the hk unit. I guess they aren't? I knew about the speaker impedance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
looks just like factory. (not that that is a bad thing) :D

I had always heard that the plugs were different between the rs unit and the hk unit. I guess they aren't? I knew about the speaker impedance.
The only thing different about the plugs are that they are 180 degrees off.. doesn't hurt anything if you plug it in upside down though.. don't ask me how I know.. :wink:

As far as I know, all the features work on mine, but I heard that the automatic volume control won't. Don't know this for sure, haven't taken it down the road.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.