Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres my thought. I have the stock windshield and just bought a short black. One is too big and the other is too small. What I want to do is take the larger one and cut it to match the shape of my my handle bars (wicked bagger apes). Anyone ever cut a windshield and actually shape it, if so how?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Get the tape out and get your cut line masked off on both sides. I used some painters masking paper to mask the rest of the shield completely over. Get your saber saw with the finest blade you can buy. zip it off. Take a file and smooth the edge to your liking.I took some 600 sandpaper and sanded the edge to a ultra smooth edge. There is a chance that the shield could crack but I've cut 4 of them and never had one break. The hardest thing is getting the right cut line established. I went through a few rolls of tape until I was happy with the line. Good luck and happy cutting. There is some kind of chemical you can wipe the edge with to make it clear. Can't remember what it was. The 600 grit paper will make the edge smooth and almost clear. The forming part ( bending ) I haven't a clue.

·
Registered
629 Posts
There is some kind of chemical you can wipe the edge with to make it clear. Can't remember what it was.
M.E.K.
Methyl ethyl ketone. Nasty stuff, but does this job nicely. Just do not get it anywhere except the very edge. It will cloud/craze the main shield surface anywhere it touches.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice way to go, gives me another thought, I may even be able to get it done for free at the high school shop class where I contract.

This forum rocks

I marked how much I wanted off and took it to the local glass company and they cut it for $10.....the only way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
tape the windshield and use a cut off wheel in a die grinder. then sand with belt sander for the final shape. hand sand with 600 as stated above

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
A variable speed rotary tool like a Dremel with a metal cutter. High speeds will melt the material when cutting and cause distortion along the edge. After sanding with 600 grit, use Novus polishes to clear up the edge. MEK is hard to come by.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Take your windshield to a professional auto glass store that also deals with plexiglas.

My wife's 1998 Dyna Convertable windshield was way too tall for her. She is 5'3"

She sat on the bike and we measured where her eyes should be relative to the windshield top. I put a mark on the windshield. I then brought the windshield to the shop. Picked it up the next day, paid $20.00. Looks factory. Worth the $20.00. She still rides the Dyna and won't consider another. Do it right the first time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
these are all great ideas, but I want it cut to a specific shape, I don't know if an auto glass store would do it. In retrospect, tho, I found this on ebay, which is exactly what I want, if maybe a bit short: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINISTER-INDUSTRIES-WICKED-ROAD-GLIDE-WINDSHIELD-fits-ALL-ROADGLIDE-MODELS-/190711972268?fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Take your windshield to a professional auto glass store that also deals with plexiglas.

My wife's 1998 Dyna Convertable windshield was way too tall for her. She is 5'3"

She sat on the bike and we measured where her eyes should be relative to the windshield top. I put a mark on the windshield. I then brought the windshield to the shop. Picked it up the next day, paid $20.00. Looks factory. Worth the $20.00. She still rides the Dyna and won't consider another. Do it right the first time.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Check out the posts on Madstad windshield, including images of my tour of the factory.

The airfoil wing creates a wonderful bubble of little wind and little turbulence at touring speed.

Remove the wing and retain the bracket and you have close to what you reference on eBay.

If you are committed to chopping your current windshield, then consider bringing the image and your bike with the Madstad bracket installed to a glass/plexiglass shop. Tell them to replicate the look with your current plexiglass chopped. If you buy the Madstad, tell them to include holes at the right spots drilled to bolt the chopped wind diffuser directly to the Madstaad bracket.

May not be clean enough for you, but would be versatile. Have not seen it done. Easy to say with your $.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts