Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on prepping the plastic inner fairing for paint so it wont peel back off. Anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
372 Posts
There are some step by step instructions on the HD forum on how to paint inner fairings. Do a search and they will come up. Might also be some on this forum, can't remember for sure. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
After a very light scuff I cleaned it with Lord Fusor, and SEM soap to prep for the paint. I laid down a coat of House of Kolor AP01 adhesion promoter and then shot it with a basecoat/clearcoat gloss black. It's been almost 3-years and no peeling or adhesion problems.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Heres my steps:
Wash with dawn dishsoap/water solution and let dry

Wearing neoprene/latex gloves, scuff inner fairing with 400 grit til its all dull looking

Clean off with dishsoap/water solution

Wipe down with rubbing alcohol or prep cleaner

Spray with adhesion promoter (1 light coat then a medium coat 10 mins later)

Spray primer (if using) or dust coat of color after 10 mins from last coat of promoter

Let sit for 30 mins then spray next color coat

Let sit for 30 more and spray one more color coat

Let dry for 1 hour

Spray 1st clear coat

Let sit for 30 mins

Spray last clear coat

Let sit for 48 hrs before handling

Wetsand with 3M 1500 grit wet/dry paper using ZERO PRESSURE on the sand paper til it has a cloudy finish

Clean off with soap/water solution and let dry

Use a damp cloth and rubbing compound in a BACK AND FORTH motion NOT CIRCULAR until the haze has become somewhat shiny (wont be shiny shiny though so becareful)

Wipe down im circular motion with a DRY microfiber cloth

Now use a damp cloth with polishing compound in a back and forth motion til it shines

Wipe again with dry microfiber cloth

Use wax and give it a good coat and buff off with dry cloth

This is how I got mine to shine up!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just painted my entire r/g in my garage with basf Limco supreme +, I used a scuff pad for most of it, then if there were any deep scratches or chips, I used 600 wet or dry paper. Ive been in the body shop business for 36 years, and this stuff is as good as any of the premium paints, PPG, Kustom Kolor, all that. No primer is needed on the plastic, but spray the 1st coat as a sticky light see through color and wait 20 minutes until it will barely leave a fingerprint, then spray a medium coat over that and wait about 25 min. depending on the color {reds are more transparent) and your ability you may need (After the 2nd coat) at least another 1 to 2 more, then wait about an hour before putting 2 medium and 1 last coat to flow out the paint for less orange peel. Good luck and wait about 2-3 days before handling to let it cure. Buff any dirt or sand any runs with 1500 or 1000 and a soft block sander.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks skipper, I too have been doing paint and body for a lot of years. Just checking to see what the rest of you guys used. Not sure if I want to stick to a all black RG or go with some custom colors.

·
Registered
103 Posts
After doing a number of years in the auto body biz, You are still thinking of staying with black? Are you not tired of wiping it down every friggin day before she goes out? I know I was. I will never...NEVER own another black car, truck, or bike again. Hell, I would cringe at adopting a black dog at the shelter....Just my opinion of course. LOL

P.S. If the dog was in danger of being put down, I would adopt it anyway......I don't care if it was green or purple.

·
Registered
103 Posts
After doing a number of years in the auto body biz, You are still thinking of staying with black? Are you not tired of wiping it down every friggin day before she goes out? I know I was. I will never...NEVER own another black car, truck, or bike again. Hell, I would cringe at adopting a black dog at the shelter....Just my opinion of course. LOL

P.S. If the dog was in danger of being put down, I would adopt it anyway......I don't care if it was green or purple. Oh and those last 2 coats I was talking about were clear coats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts