Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I think you will receive about a 50/50 response on this one. I know when I rode my GL1800 Goldwing everyone wanted one because of the bikes plastic and aluminum makeup. It turned out that about 1/2 the guys riding Wings said they worked and the other 1/2 claimed they were "snakeoil." I have never felt the need for one on any of my Harleys. Many states have passed the "dead red law" allowing motorcyclists the right to proceed through an intersection on a red light after a "reasonable" (subject to interpretation by each state) amount of time.

·
Banned
845 Posts
Just an FYI- Not sure what state your from but here In Oklahoma , If your approaching a motion sensor activated street light while riding a motorcycle and you are unable to trigger the light to change you can run the red light. Try looking into ur state Motorcycle laws if you havnt already. I take this law with me to every state I travel in as well, :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have not had any issues with traffic lights while on the Glide. It seems that although there are sensors in the pavement, the lights here in NE Fl are also on timers of some sort.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you can see the outline of the sensor in the road, get as much of your bike in there as possible (at least one wheel usually does the trick). There aren't too many around here, but 2 in particular along my favorite local riding routes have given me trouble on occasion. I could've sworn LA passed the red light rule, but it doesn't show up on the AMA site: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/State-Laws.aspx

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Just an FYI- Not sure what state your from but here In Oklahoma , If your approaching a motion sensor activated street light while riding a motorcycle and you are unable to trigger the light to change you can run the red light. Try looking into ur state Motorcycle laws if you havnt already. I take this law with me to every state I travel in as well, :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Missouri has the same law but I noticed OH does not.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I read once if you put your bike on the side stand, there is more mass exposed to the sensors, though I usually run them after a wait. Now I have to look up the law in Maryland.:eek:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
An officer can issue a ticket anyhows, law no law, argue with one an see, perspectively, safety on n on, Not bad mouthin LEO's. You may win in court (if you go back to that state) but you were still in court. That said, we're the burden of risk. Agree on the 50/50.

·
Registered
184 Posts
sometimes I find that when there is no one behind me. If I stop short, just put the front wheel on the cut line for a short time, then roll forward. the light will change. I like to think I have tricked it into thinking there is more than 1 vehicle there.....Then there are the ones that have the sensors in the surface a few car lengths back. watch and stop on it before moving forward. just my 2 cents...probably just dumb luck though.

·
Administrator
10,503 Posts
I have been told ( never tried mind you ) that if you mount a magnet ( from hf or the like ) under the frame , that's rated for 100# or more , it will trip the lights ..

JtB

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a Green Light Trigger mounted under each floorboard. As long as I get one of them within the lines where the sensors are, it will trigger the light. My bike will trigger lights my car has trouble triggering. You can buy them direct at http://www.greenlighttriggers.com/. Or just do a search and you get get them cheaper. Forgot where I got them, but I think I paid about $25 for the pair. The original model was black and used a wire tie to attach. The newer model is more powerful and is self stick with a Nickel finish. They make the sensor think your bike is the size of a semi.

I used these on my V-Star because it would not trip a traffic light at all. With one under each floorboard, I never had a problem with it again. I forgot to pull them when I sold the bike, so I picked up a new pair for the RG. I've never failed to trip a light unless I've totally missed the sensor.

With them under the floorboards, no one sees them and they won't interfere with anything physically or electrically. And you increase the odds of hitting the sensor without having to put you bike in an unsafe position to trip the light.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Nailed

Green LIght Trigger?????? Some one (like a cleaver RGer) should come with a attraction gismo for nails, screws (not chrome bumpers) that are on the road and collected away from the tires:cool:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I have a Green Light Trigger mounted under each floorboard. As long as I get one of them within the lines where the sensors are, it will trigger the light. My bike will trigger lights my car has trouble triggering. You can buy them direct at http://www.greenlighttriggers.com/. Or just do a search and you get get them cheaper. Forgot where I got them, but I think I paid about $25 for the pair. The original model was black and used a wire tie to attach. The newer model is more powerful and is self stick with a Nickel finish. They make the sensor think your bike is the size of a semi.

I used these on my V-Star because it would not trip a traffic light at all. With one under each floorboard, I never had a problem with it again. I forgot to pull them when I sold the bike, so I picked up a new pair for the RG. I've never failed to trip a light unless I've totally missed the sensor.

With them under the floorboards, no one sees them and they won't interfere with anything physically or electrically. And you increase the odds of hitting the sensor without having to put you bike in an unsafe position to trip the light.
I believe I'm going to have to look into these...finally found a light yesterday morning in the o'dark thirty hours that just would not trip. Gave it 120 seconds and rolled on through. Middle of nowhere in the middle of the night, but didn't feel comfortable doing it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have one green light trigger on my left floorboard and it triggers 99% of the lights now. Thinking of getting one more because there are a couple it still won't do.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Join your local ABATE Association and push for law changes on riding through reds that don't change is the best fix in opinion.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was told by someone, somewhere that if you get in the corner of the pattern of the sensor wire in the pavement, you had a better chance of your bike tripping the sensor. It did seem to up my odds some. My odds were also upped when I moved from my FXR to my RG. Now a lot of the lights in Fort Worth and even some of the smaller surrounding cities are going to motion sensors that are mounted on the traffic light arms and are directional. I have no trouble tripping these. They seem to have been a big improvement and no magnet necessary.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I have one light that gives me trouble on the way to work,at 4.30 am there isnt a lot of traffic,so i started to experiment with where my bike is positioned on the censor,rolling forward then back will normally trip it,but after a timley wait i run it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts