Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive lighting Vehicle Motorcycle Light Automotive design

Thinking of a garage opener and would like to use existing switch space. I’ve seen these and think it would be cool to locate under the fairing per other post I read here but wire to these lovely switch spots!
Thanks in advance for any experience shared

·
Registered
467 Posts
You can buy the switches from Harley for the right hand side and mount them. But I don’t think you would be able to use the built in wiring harness as that only would give you a 12v out on the press of the button. You would have to make your own harness that would just give you a close/short circuit

The wiring diagram is on the HD website for the switches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
It can be done pretty easy. You’d actually need the left side switch base and the button for the cool flow fan. It’s the only one of the switches that is a momentary switch. If you have a service manual it has the wiring schematic in it. I just put a regular garage door opener on a pice of Velcro in my left glove box. Hard wiring one in sounds cool till you have to take it all apart to swap out a batter. Just my .02.

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Guys that mod an opener themselves have me on this point, but if you’re going to give $$$ to HD for a switch, then there’s no reason not to look at this option. Why mess with a switch…

www.gotailwind.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
@Dittim
Bro, thanks for posting this. This looks VERY interesting. I wasn’t in the market for anything, but I’m looking at this pretty hard.
I've been using it for a couple years now. No issues, I have an apple phone so need the puck sensor; have one for the truck and the bike. It's a game changer.

Reactions: Jblohm

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
932 Posts
So I have multiple garage doors, and this is what I use, i learned this from an old timer, if you use a snap key ring, and hook it to your belt loop, it keeps your key fob and garage door opener, just inside the pocket, making for quick acess, but the best part is its, out of the way, and dose not pinch or bind while riding.....
Wood Gadget Cable Electric blue Wire
Jeans Outerwear Textile Sleeve Grey

What appears to look like a car alarm, is actually my garage door opener, you can't get smaller than that, no fuss no muss, no wiring to do, simply attach it to your key ring and you are in business. Just trying to give you a different way, of using your garage door opener 👍👍

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I've been using it for a couple years now. No issues, I have an apple phone so need the puck sensor; have one for the truck and the bike. It's a game changer.
So not to detracted from the OPs post to much, but you can’t “Hey Siri” this to get the door open? The only way it will work is with the puck?

I found my answer. It’s an Apple thing. It’s still cool, just not as appealing now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So not to detracted from the OPs post to much, but you can’t “Hey Siri” this to get the door open? The only way it will work is with the puck?

I found my answer. It’s an Apple thing. It’s still cool, just not as appealing now.
Sorry f I wasn’t clear, the puck is needed due to Apple, it’s not needed if you use android.

Either way as long as you have your phone with you, the door auto-magically closes as you drive away from the house and opens when you come back. There is nothing to push or to request from Siri.

Reactions: DanHappy

·
Registered
467 Posts

Was just looking over the website and found that you can use Siri to open and close the doors. See this link

The puck is only to have the open automatically when you approach.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts