Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, was installing hertz hcx165 speakers on my '12 fltrx using the hawg wired ring adapters. when i go to put my fairing back on the speakers are sticking out too far and not allowing the fairing to fit on. i've taken the fairing on and off a million times so know how it's supposed to fit. definitely seems like a fitment issue

anyone else had this issue? if so, what rings are you using for the hertz hcx165?

i saw people mention hard ride audio but they don't seem to exist anymore. i think arc rings might fit these speakers as well as v-twin audio rings.

help!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey man, yeah i looked through your build thread to see if there was a trick to it. not sure why it isn't fitting right. i've looked at it a few times and the speaker magnets are out to far. wondering if the hawg wired bracket it different or something. really becoming a head scratcher. i might run down to street noyz to see if they have any other adapter rings to see if something else works

I have the same speakers and rings and it fits fine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do you mean by roaring? sanding?

also which mounts? the ones on the adapters?
I think he meant to rotate them 180 degrees, there may be an offset in the mount that you didn't see.

·
Registered
516 Posts
sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do you mean by roaring? sanding?

also which mounts? the ones on the adapters?
Sorry..... Damn Swype..... I meant Rotating..... Mine used 3 screws so I turned the mounts so that the speaker sat closer to the gauges and not up toward the fairing...... It was only 1/4" difference but it was enough not to hit the fairing...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right on man. the hawg wired you can only line up certain ways. i pulled them and tried them in every configuration and they still aren't fitting. either i am missing something right in front of me or this setup isn't going to work. i'm going to try some other rings out today and see if that helps.

Sorry..... Damn Swype..... I meant Rotating..... Mine used 3 screws so I turned the mounts so that the speaker sat closer to the gauges and not up toward the fairing...... It was only 1/4" difference but it was enough not to hit the fairing...

·
Registered
516 Posts
right on man. the hawg wired you can only line up certain ways. i pulled them and tried them in every configuration and they still aren't fitting. either i am missing something right in front of me or this setup isn't going to work. i'm going to try some other rings out today and see if that helps.
My arc audio adapters did hit the post on the factory speaker mounts... I ended up using a bench grinder and ground the post off then cut the screws so they wouldn't go through the inner fairing.... I figured i wasn't going to go back to 5.25" speakers so the bench grinder won the battle.......

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i ended up getting it to fit on there but man it is tight! i used to have JM rokkers so still have the foam underlayment on the fairing. hopefully that will save the fairing from rubbing against the speaker magnet. in order to get it lined up i loosened the inner fairing bolts and just had to really move things around. first side went on ok, second side fought me tooth and nail for a bit but then finally clicked into place.

i plan to pull it again in 2-3 weeks to make sure i don't have any issues with rubbing or cracking. definitely makes me a little nervous with how tight it fit but everything seems to be ok for now.

if anyone else installed 6.5's did you end up with a tight fit?

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I have Focal 6.5s and mine touch the mat also, been like that about a year now, works fine.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'v hooked up Focal's, Hawg Wired and HAT 6'.5's with the HW adapters. It's tighter with the Focal's and HAT's but it has always fit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks to all who posted, makes me feel better about the fit. sounds like it is just tight for these speakers.

of course now that i got the fairing to fit i stripped one of the fairing screws when i was buttoning it up. i took the advice of others and did the pam/plastic epoxy method. got it curing right now i will report back once it is all hardened tomorrow and i reinstall the fairing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyone ever see this? think it's a problem?

my fairing sits about a 1/4" off the hooks in the front. it is rock solid. never really noticed it before but i never really looked i guess. i have the daymaker bracket so wondering if that is holding it up a little in the back.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
Have you tried to push the fairing downwards a little so it's resting on the hook, also is it both hooks or just one?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yep, tried pushing it down but it doesn't move at all, rock solid. both sides are the same. my only though it that when i installed the after-market radio DIN tray it is holding the fairing up that quarter inch. i'm not really sure how much a problem it is. my other option is to pull the fairing and wrap some tape of something around the bracket so it has something to rest on.

Have you tried to push the fairing downwards a little so it's resting on the hook, also is it both hooks or just one?

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
It might be a good idea to pull the fairing after you've rode a few times and see if you can find any wear marks of it resting on something. If you don't find anything and it's solid, I say ride on.......

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
since i haven't totally buttoned it back up i'm going to just remove it and duct tape some small pieces of plastic to the lower hooks. figured after that i would be good.

and on a side note the plastic epoxy trick worked great for the stripped inner fairing hole

It might be a good idea to pull the fairing after you've rode a few times and see if you can find any wear marks of it resting on something. If you don't find anything and it's solid, I say ride on.......

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've never pulled my head lights when I put the fairing back on so I have no idea if mine sits flat or not........

Mine always went back together really easy until I changed to HID's and added 2 amps... this last time was a real Pita............... hopefully I don't encounter problems

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
316 Posts
Tight fit - Hawg Wired adapters

i ended up getting it to fit on there but man it is tight! i used to have JM rokkers so still have the foam underlayment on the fairing. hopefully that will save the fairing from rubbing against the speaker magnet. in order to get it lined up i loosened the inner fairing bolts and just had to really move things around. first side went on ok, second side fought me tooth and nail for a bit but then finally clicked into place.

i plan to pull it again in 2-3 weeks to make sure i don't have any issues with rubbing or cracking. definitely makes me a little nervous with how tight it fit but everything seems to be ok for now.

if anyone else installed 6.5's did you end up with a tight fit?
Hey modot66,

I did have a tight fit as well. Followed the instructions on the Hawg-Wired adapters to a T (afterall, I'm an engineer) and couldn't get the outer fairing on without hitting the speaker coil. I pulled a headlight to look through and confirm. Definitely the speaker coil. I pulled everything off, rotate the adapters 90 degrees so it shifted the speakers more up and in toward the radio rather than down and in as the instructions indicated. That allowed me enough clearance to get everything buttoned up. It was a tighter fit on the top side of the fairing, but I've got plenty of room now between the speaker coil and the fairing wall.

Incidentally...I wrote Hawg-Wired about it and they said most deviations they've seen from fitment is due to how the inner fairing is mounted to the frame. I did take my inner off for painting last year, so that may explain why my setup had an "atypical" fitment.

I hate mounting that outer fairing...always scares the crap out of me. I almost always end up removing a headlight to see what I'm doing.

Cheers,
G

1 - 20 of 20 Posts