Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is rather simple stuff. I took everthing off that needed to come off. Then installed the Hayden Tensioner. Some of you guys say "I had it done in about a half an hour" well, I took my time, about 1 1/2hrs. Just followed the directions and was very careful about the torque values. Here are some pics....

This last pic is for Hullhorr if he sees this post.

Nevadasun

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Got mine sitting on the work bench. Plan on doing the switch soon. Did you use any of the shims in the kit ? Are you planning on upgrading to the S.E. compensator also ?

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Looking back at the pictures it looks like the chain was cutting into the stock tensioner a good bit. Looks like it was a good time to get it changed out.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maiden voyage was good, just a short trip to the store. Tomorrow I'll get up to freeway speeds. Some people say they hear a "whirling sound" for the first 500mi. or so.......kinda, maby, I guess a little.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Good idea.

Looks like you shoulda got that out of there about 10k ago...

When I went to Baker Attitude I definitely had a jingling noise afterwards for about 50 miles NO whining... and it's been peaceful ever since.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bike had about 36,400mi (2010 FLTRX) at change out. I was more concerned about bearings than anything. I don't know maybe the whole bearing thing is bullshit but, I feel better about doing this. Lets face it these things are not that expensive and I enjoy doing this stuff.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The bike had about 36,400mi (2010 FLTRX) at change out. I was more concerned about bearings than anything. I don't know maybe the whole bearing thing is bullshit but, I feel better about doing this. Lets face it these things are not that expensive and I enjoy doing this stuff.
Totally agree it's not an expensive change. When I changed out at 3k my primary was always whining at start up and when hot. The fact that the drive train feels smoother and shifts so much better says a lot to me about how badly the auto adjuster works and makes me wish I had swapped the tensioner on day one. But it's not the only achilles heal ...

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One quick question. In retrospect does anyone know or think I should have used Harley's blue locktite on the tensioner mounting bolts....just ask'n.

Nevadasun

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
One quick question. In retrospect does anyone know or think I should have used Harley's blue locktite on the tensioner mounting bolts....just ask'n.

Nevadasun
I haven't used any loctite on mine and they stayed tight. There is so much tension from the springs I don't think they will loosen up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts