Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Hayden Chain tensioner off Amazon. I've been wanting to get one for some time now because of there has been some chain 'slap' going on. Can't wait to get it and put it on :)

· Registered
3,046 Posts
I just ordered a Hayden Chain tensioner off Amazon. I've been wanting to get one for some time now because of there has been some chain 'slap' going on. Can't wait to get it and put it on :)
The Hayden is a good piece, I've had them on my last 3 bikes, well worth it in my opinion.

I have a feeling that the "slap" you're worried about may very well be your
compensator sprocket. If you're hearing a knocking noise sometimes on take off, or when you start or stop the engine, you're compensator is going bad.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had planned on doing a full oil change before I ordered the tensioner and already have a gasket. Thanks.

· Registered
12 Posts
One of the best $100 improvements that you can do to your HD. I have done the Hayden swap on the last three twin cams and I have been very pleased.:grin:

· Registered
2,104 Posts
Had one on my CVO Ultra for about 200 miles. Way too tight and and the primary scream. Shoe was worn 1/4" deep in that little amount of time. Went right into the trash, it did.

· Registered
12 Posts
That sure has not been my experience with the Hayden M6. On all three bikes the clearance from the tension shoe to the base required no shims and was slightly less than the 3/8". There was a small whine coming out of the primary for the first 200-300 miles and than it went away.

· Registered
7,115 Posts
Had one on my CVO Ultra for about 200 miles. Way too tight and and the primary scream. Shoe was worn 1/4" deep in that little amount of time. Went right into the trash, it did.
Mine was the same, but they have since changed the springs. The ones purchased in 2015 are not as tight.

· Registered
186 Posts
My first Hayden went through the shoe in a hurry and never did quit whining. I got in touch with them and sent some pics. They advised that I switch back from SYNTHETIC oil to dino oil. No troubles since. I'm still running it and no noise.

· Registered
209 Posts
One of the best $100 improvements that you can do to your HD. I have done the Hayden swap on the last three twin cams and I have been very pleased.:grin:
just as is with any product you'll have the ones who've had great success with the product and those that haven't.

I agree and same with 2 bikes I've owned and tried them on. Noise never quieted down as stated it would, high pitch whining, although my shoes weren't worn but ever so slightly after about 1500 miles. Just got tired of listening to it and pulled them out. 1st bike I put the stock tensioner back in as it was. 2nd bike had the updated stock tensioner style, so I adjusted chain as necessary, marked tensioner, tack welded tensioner and moved on.

Unless you have something else going in the primary, these stock tensioners should last you at least 50 - 60k miles before ever needing to be looked at.

· Registered
420 Posts
When I go into the primary to change some stuff I'm going to try welding the stock one. I've heard the horror of Haydens falling apart and the cost of Baker's is too much for me.

· Registered
209 Posts
i don't think you'll find a case where user error wasn't involved with a Hayden tensioner coming apart so the quality of the tensioner is there, however the majority of the issues you see and hear (or experience) is noise. Some say they work great, I've never had any luck with them and pulled about 5 out of customer bikes and my own after a few thousand miles at my expense because they were too noisy and replaced with stock tensioners. They (the stock tensioners) only need to be looked at about every 60 - 75k miles or so unless you're having another issue that needs to be addressed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.