Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might go into the Primary area this fall and make some changes. Has anyone ever used this tensioner? If so give me some feed back.

Nevadasun

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
I just got one, haven't even installed it yet but plan to do it before SWIII. I've read many good reviews on another forum, nothing negative, I'll be doing my comments in a few weeks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have one installed. It works great. Keeps the right tension on the primary chain and It compresses when you rev the engine.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Yep, works as advertised, this is my 3rd bike with the Hayden tensioner.

The new style OEM ratcheting tensioners are better than the older ones, but have a nasty tendency to over-tighten.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Got one on my bike, works great, constant tention on the chain, no slap feeling when you throttle on let off and throttle on again, great upgrade!

·
Registered
593 Posts
hayden

Installed a Hayden on my 97 Road-king. Traded bike in at 50k and never a problem. Put the Harley ratchet type on my 05 glide at about 10k and at 45k the bearing between clutch and tranny started to go. The Harley one kept the primary chain too tight. On my 011 I pulled the stock tentioner off at 1k and put on a Hayden.If your bike has 30k plus I hope it"s not too late for the bearing. The stock tentioners are way too tight. At $100.00 the Hayden is well worth the money and piece of mind.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
It's worth every penny. I like how it keeps constant tension on the primary chain no matter how hard you get on it or let off.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Wheres the best place to get one from?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everyone seems to be sold out of the tensioners. One outfit said they should have them in by friday. So, what brand of outer primar gasket should I use? Just get another one from Harley or order some type of "super duper" gasket. If so, any suggestions??

·
Registered
362 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He's Selling to Vendors,...Another question about 3/8 gap

You can order it from Hayden directly. I read he wasnt selling them to other vendors anymore.
I called Hayden and the are selling to other vendors, in fact I've received mine from "Phat Performance". The are having trouble meeting demand however.

A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS. How many of you have had to use the shims? I just rolled 36k on the bike and was just curious if I should start out with the "thin shim" to get the 3/8 gap, your thoughts? I plan to start on this next week and I'll take pics but, is there anything else I should be looking at while I have the primary opened up?? What should I check?

Thanks, Nevadasun

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Check the compensator out and see what is going on there. Check the clutch plates. Now would be a good time to add a heavier spring if needed.

None of my bikes needed any shims. Most of the people that I have seen have not needed any shims, but you will still need to check.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts