Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had time today to install the new hayden primary chain tensioner i ordered a few weeks ago. Install was easy with provided instructions and only took me about 1/2hr to do. This first pic is of the stock ratchet style tensioner. You can actually see the the rather large amount of slack in the upper portion of the chain. The second pic is with the hayden tensioer installed and you can see theres no slack in the chain. I did however reuse both the outer primary cover gasket and the derby cover o-ring gasket. Install was simple with provide instruction on how to set up the new tensioner. [URL=http://s1073.photobucket.com/user/rlaf75/media/IMAG0220_zpsbi7ho43z.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s1073.photobucket.com/user/rlaf75/media/IMAG0221_zps5kekylcu.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
564 Posts
So, how did it affect shifting, noise, etc?? Been looking at this mod for a while. Worth it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, how did it affect shifting, noise, etc?? Been looking at this mod for a while. Worth it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
To be honest with you i was only able to take around the block cuz the roads are still covered with shit from the last snow we got. Having seen the serious slack in the chain with the stock tensioner to no slack with the hayden tensioner id say it will definately not hurt the shifting and overall performance of the clutch and compensator. For the $100 for the tensioner id say its worth it just because of the slack issue. Unfortunately i couldnt ride far to get a real feel for it

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I've removed and reinstalled my primary cover 4-times since the last gasket i purchased with no issue. As long as it looks like it's in good shape I've learned not to worry about replacing it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I put a Hayden Tensioner in my ride a couple of months ago and glad I did - Yes, it's worth it. Quieter and smoother shifting.
Same here. I had an issue with some wear but the problem was with my clutch splines being worn. I found the wear when I went in to replace the clutch.

Even though it was not a fault with their tensor they were good enough to send me a free replacement part.

Great company to do business with.

Install is easy, shifting is smoother and 1st gear clunk is greatly reduced.
If you watch their video on their site it is easy to see why it reduces wear on the compensator and transmission shaft bearings.

You may hear a very slight bit of a hum for the 1st couple of tanks but not to worry it is just chain and the pad mating the surfaces.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Did you guys use any shims ? What was your mileage at time of change ?

·
Registered
723 Posts
No shims, 65,000 miles. I talked with my local dealer parts manager about the chain when my clutch spines went south due to all the metal in the oil. He said it is a very rare thing to ever need a new chain.

Oh I forgot to mention above that finding neutral is much easier too.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I put my Hayden in at 9,000 miles when I did my motor work. For $115, 1/2 hr time investment, and piece of mind it's well worth it. No shims, just use the zip ties to compress the spring, i had to use 3.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My scoot has about 35k miles on it. I did the compensator a couple years ago but never did the tensioner til now. Two shims were provided but i didnt have to use any. The install is easy. The hardest part of the job is taking the outer primary cover really. The tensioner has 2 bolts. I didnt have to use anything to compress it either. Simply assembled the tensioner and inserted it on the clutch side and slid the tensioner assembly forward into position. Then used a screwdriver to lift the tensioner base to line up each bolt hole. Easy peasy

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts
Is the goal primarily to reduce the load on the compensator and therefore extend its life? Or is there a concern with regard to the chain? Or something else clutch related?

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Is the goal primarily to reduce the load on the compensator and therefore extend its life? Or is there a concern with regard to the chain? Or something else clutch related?
Put the Hayden in mine awhile back and I am happy with it. The stock primary has a ratcheting system and it has a tendency of over tightening and putting extra pressure on the bearings causing premature bearing failure.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Put the Hayden in mine awhile back and I am happy with it. The stock primary has a ratcheting system and it has a tendency of over tightening and putting extra pressure on the bearings causing premature bearing failure.
This to me sounds like the opposite of most people's complaints about the stock tensioner -- that with the stock part, their chain was too slack.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Looks a lot like my install... :D
Before...

After...

I noticed the primary was a lot quieter after the install. That loose chain apparently makes a lot of noise.

I put mine in at the same time I did a Kevlar Clutch and an SE Clutch Spring. While riding thru the Rockies and at Shark Week III, I noticed the clutch started slipping trying to pass going uphill. Clutch and spring took care of that problem. I figured as long as I have it open, might as well put in the Hayden at the same time.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
This to me sounds like the opposite of most people's complaints about the stock tensioner -- that with the stock part, their chain was too slack.
You can see the teeth on the stock tensioner in the pic. If the tensioner fails to work right it will ratchet up too much and the bearings will have to much pressure which will cause premature failure.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I have a Hayden that I've had for almost a year, but still haven't installed it. When I go to install it, if my chain is loose I'll probably just leave it, if it's tight then I'll change it out.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
I have a Hayden that I've had for almost a year, but still haven't installed it. When I go to install it, if my chain is loose I'll probably just leave it, if it's tight then I'll change it out.

Sent from my SPH-L710
But doesn't the Hayden tighten the chain ? Wouldn't adding the Hayden cause the comp to even over tighten more ? Is that your thinking dbell ?

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
But doesn't the Hayden tighten the chain ? Wouldn't adding the Hayden cause the comp to even over tighten more ? Is that your thinking dbell ?
When I bought the Hayden it was my understanding that the stock tensioner has a tendency to tighten too much causing the bearings to wear, the Hayden provides a constant tension. So if my tensioner is allowing a little slack, I'm going to leave it alone.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Basically dbell is saying if it isnt "broken" then he wont fix it

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Basically dbell is saying if it isnt "broken" then he wont fix it
I usually follow that thinking, but some times an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :D I also have a Hayden sitting the work bench waiting to be installed .

1 - 20 of 81 Posts