Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im board with my curent set up and wondering what would be a better bang for my buck. Putting high compression pistions in my stock 103 with head work and better cams or going to a 107 with head work and cams. For cams im leaning twards t man 600 or woods 555s. Do you rilly get that much more hp/tq out of a 107? Im trying to build on a budget and would install all my self this winter.
Its not a race bike just want a fun cruser

·
Registered
528 Posts
Subscribed

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would like to hear Fuel Moto's opinion, as they are the company I do all my business with. Very serious, will be headed their way as soon as things settle down here on the home front. I am facing the same question, leave it 103 with increased CR or 107. I understand from reading that FM really has their 107 kit really "dialed-in" with super nice results.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
Interesting question. Personally if I had a103 I would have done heads, cams, etc. I had a 96 so I figured 11 ci was more than 10%, therefore enough to make a significant difference, I don't think I would've done it for 4ci.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The real question is how quickly do you get bored? If you get bored quick, then drop a 124" in it and be done. Otherwise you will blow money for the two options mentioned, then drop more money later because you want more power.

·
Registered
71 Posts
if your going to buy pistons already why not look at S&S 106 pistons.. Bore out your stock cylinders and do the head work...if your buying pistons already to up the cr... just my two cents that aint worth one cent

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Building a stage IV isn't worth the money in a 103. If you're doing pistons and jugs you may as well go with a 107.
The cam is the most critical component which will give you the most HP and torque.
Heads don't provide much more torque and they are not worth doing IMO.
Look at dyno results and compare.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Interesting question. Personally if I had a103 I would have done heads, cams, etc. I had a 96 so I figured 11 ci was more than 10%, therefore enough to make a significant difference, I don't think I would've done it for 4ci.
It's more about precision machining the cylinders to straight and round with proper sized pistons and ring end gaps than the gain of 4 cu. in. A correctly sealed cylinder will make significant power gains and greatly reduce or eliminate the breather blow-by. Check the leak down rate on some stock motors, it will scare you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A 124 would be nice but is out of the budget, I guess the more i research people are boring a 103 .010 over already so i might as well go to a 107"

·
Registered
809 Posts
A 124 would be nice but is out of the budget, I guess the more i research people are boring a 103 .010 over already so i might as well go to a 107"
Do some more research, doing a 124" on top of your cases wouldn't be that much more money. Especially if you are going to do heads and cams already. Give Kirby at vee twin performance a call and see what he can offer you.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Thought it was more of a budget build. But he'll if ya want a 124, why stop there. Jims 135, S&S 144, and then Trask Turbo that thing. Smh. You need to decide how much money your willing to spend. What's your plan, and purpose. I don't see "The Need" of a 124, more just the want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A 124 is not going to happen, The way I see it a 107 runs about 2200 with heads and cams. If I did a hc 103 it would be 900 for head work 400 for cams 300 for hc se pistons = 1600 give or take a hundred. I would like to keep the build under 2k and do all I can once

·
Registered
809 Posts
A 124 is not going to happen, The way I see it a 107 runs about 2200 with heads and cams. If I did a hc 103 it would be 900 for head work 400 for cams 300 for hc se pistons = 1600 give or take a hundred. I would like to keep the build under 2k and do all I can once
Don't forget the clutch upgrade, at minimum you will need an SE spring. Also a potential exhaust upgrade, depending on how your current exhaust performs. Budget in a new dyno tune also.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts