Road Glide banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and didn't come up with anything. If I missed it please point me to the correct thread. Here goes:

I am looking at a 2015 RG Special and having the Stage 4 done before it leaves the dealer. Besides the kit itself, what other supporting items will I need:
Air intake
Exhaust
Race Tuner? (description mention an ECM Flash but not a tuner)
Better Clutch? HD Version?

I basically want to have it done at HD so the warranty would be valid.

For those who have done this what did it run you installed?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The kits used to come with a screaming eagle race tuner but I see that has been removed. You will need -
some sort of tuner.
A better breathing a/c.
If you want performance then get a 2 into 1 exhaust system. Or new headers (the goal is to get rid of the cats)and slip ons.
There are an endless number of great parts out there so I won't suggest what I think is the best. Research and find what fits you.
I don't recall what my dealer charged me. I did it in January when they were offering 20% off parts and 50% off labor. You won't need to replace the clutch.

·
Registered
567 Posts
stage IV

i had the stage IV installed by the h-d dealer before i took delivery of my 2015rgs so it would be warranty covered. i added v&h header pipes with cfr mufflers. added screaming eagle hi flo filter. total cost about $4500,oo in canadian money. will have it dynoed when i get more miles on it,& a s.e. tuner installed. i had a 2009 s. e. rg with the 110 motor-sold. i think this 103 with the stage IV kit has just as much power,maybe more. it sure goes when you get on the throttle!!!!

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Save your money and forget about the stage IV build.
The stock 103 with air intake, exhaust mods, good cam and EFI tuner will do just as well as the stage IV build will do when it is tuned right. I did the stage IV in my bike and it was the biggest waste of money I ever spent. JMO

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,479 Posts
Save your money and forget about the stage IV build.

The stock 103 with air intake, exhaust mods, good cam and EFI tuner will do just as well as the stage IV build will do when it is tuned right. I did the stage IV in my bike and it was the biggest waste of money I ever spent. JMO

Can't say that the stage IV is really worth the money for someone else but it is definitely a good deal more power than just doing stage I and a good tune if its done right. All I can say is that someone took your money and didn't do the build right or never tuned it right or it was just one of those things. 2 guys in the group that I ride with have stage IV builds and their bikes are way stronger than the stage I guys. Even stronger than some great running 110's. I'm interested to see how my new 120ST compares once it's broken in and fine tuned.

Edit: Sorry i didn't notice you did say add a good cam. That does make a difference and could get it close to a stage IV. My comparison is not a fair comparison.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I agree with Ironmark on this one. Save your money and go with air intake, cams, exhaust and good tune.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
We have a local client that has a Stage IV in a new-to-him, used bike.
He wants more, and he'll be coming in at the end of the season for one of our hand-built 124"s.:)
BTW, we just pulled a complete service on it, and when draining the engine oil, only 35-36 oz. was in the oil pan. :eek:
Scott

·
Registered
594 Posts
I basically want to have it done at HD so the warranty would be valid.
This is a legitimate concern, and the topic comes up a lot. In my reading, it seems like the dealer that does the install is really the only one you can count on to honor the upgrades under warranty. Even so, check with them to see if you have to take delivery of the bike with the mods installed, or you can do it later so you can enjoy the before/after comparison. My local dealer stands behind their work no matter when (in the ownership process) you get it done, so I would wait until they offer a deal in the winter if you're gonna go the HD route.
On the other hand, plenty of guys go with aftermarket parts on new bikes. It should only affect the warranty if the problem is directly related (see Magnusson-Moss Act). Where do you live? Maybe someone can recommend a reputable shop in your area.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,479 Posts
A friend of mine that just finished customizing his '15 had a stage IV installed before he took possession and told me that his Factory warrantee was void as soon as that was done but his ESP still covered it. My dealer is also getting the 120R covered with this ESP.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a legitimate concern, and the topic comes up a lot. In my reading, it seems like the dealer that does the install is really the only one you can count on to honor the upgrades under warranty. Even so, check with them to see if you have to take delivery of the bike with the mods installed, or you can do it later so you can enjoy the before/after comparison. My local dealer stands behind their work no matter when (in the ownership process) you get it done, so I would wait until they offer a deal in the winter if you're gonna go the HD route.
On the other hand, plenty of guys go with aftermarket parts on new bikes. It should only affect the warranty if the problem is directly related (see Magnusson-Moss Act). Where do you live? Maybe someone can recommend a reputable shop in your area.
I am in the DC area, I have a good independent mechanic, really I just wanted to wrap it all in with the financing is the reason I am looking at the stage 4.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Do you ever thing it's just easier to have the 120" installed and be done with it?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
A friend of mine that just finished customizing his '15 had a stage IV installed before he took possession and told me that his Factory warrantee was void as soon as that was done but his ESP still covered it. My dealer is also getting the 120R covered with this ESP.

There are two different versions of the Stage IV available: street (92500011 pg 53 in 2015 SE book) and race(92500005 pg 61) Dealers will honor your existing warranty if there is a dealer installed street stage IV, the race version generally voids the warranty on the engine because it is not street legal. The major differences are the tuner and the injectors come with the race kit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
339 Posts
OC357,

Please keep us up to speed on what you decide to do and how it turns out.

I have the ESP on my 13 RG, trying to decide on whether I want the Stage 4 on mine or just have the Indy I trust do cams and tune. I know if I go the latter route the warranty will be void.:confused:

Hawkman

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.