Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the middle of an install of the Auxiliary Power Switch Kit - Fairing Mount, Part #71400129 and I’ve run into some questions. Has anyone installed that unit and could answer some questions? I sure wish there was a video for this install but just can’t find one. The instructions are pathetic, and I could use some help. I don’t want to quadruple the cost of that already expensive harness by having service come out and pick up my bike. :frown: Any help gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Several issues, but for starters, I located the connector under the right side panel that is to receive the new fused wire that runs to the battery. Should have been an easy insert, but the cavity for the terminal end has a white plastic “plug” in it about the same size as the terminal end I’m trying to get in there. I can’t get it out. Called dealership and they didn’t know what I was talking about. Did you run into this “plug”?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
What year bike are you working with? You are already throwing me for a loop. I'll have to go back and look at my setup. Also, what is the purpose for you wanting to install the switch kit?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Just looked up mine. I installed the 71400105 kit. Not sure what the variation is, but this kit was correct for my Rushmore or at least what I was doing. I have mine controlling the power for my garage door, Garmin and fog lamps. Eventually it will also control my heated gear power more than likely.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike is a 2017 RGU. I’m having Mean City customize my seat, and they are adding a seat heater that I will want to be able to plug in under the seat, and operate on/off with one of the accessory switches. I also installed Custom Dynamics driving lights, and want to be able to turn them on and off with the second accessory switch. Still struggling to route the harness to the left side connector as the only route that seems to line up with the instructions is a very difficult path. I think I can get it done, but also wondered if anyone had an easy routing suggestion. Also, I installed the driving lights using the HD harness, and the instructions for it are for “fixed fairing with a switch”. I have that harness installed, and am confused about whether the auxiliary switch harness will tie this in, or whether I need to use the ACC#1 or ACC#2 connectors on the harness? One of them is just three wires waiting to connect to something, which I assume I can use for the seat heater, but don’t understand for certain how the other switch will operate the driving lights?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If the switch in the #1 position is blocked I say go to the dealer and get the fog lamp button kit for it. PM me if you need the part #. With a button now in the #1 position you can control the 4th wire on the turn signal harness that can be accessed if you remove the upper fairing vent. As for the heated seat, you will want to hook that up to the switch that controls the relay. Can't tell you about the routing until I can get a gander at mine.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. A quick update: I found a thread on another forum that explains how to get that stinking white pin out. Absolutely nothing in the instructions for it, and service department didn’t know about it. Hours wasted for nothing. It will take me 10 minutes to get that thing out of there when I get home. Regarding the fog lights (mounted on the engine guards, I have not spliced into anything under the fairing. I have only installed the HD harness which basically plugs and plays in between one fo the turn signal plugs, then connects to each of the two lights. Nothing else. No splicing into the wires. My ASSUMPTION is that the installation of the #71400129 will end up with one of the switches turning the driving lights on and off. Anyone know if this is correct?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The only way to get the lights to turn on and off if they are T'd into the turn signal harness is to install a button into position #1. At least that is how it is on my '15 and I do not believe they changed the wiring.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BH#103, I really appreciate your feedback. It’s all over my head, I just enjoy trying to find the fine line between learning something without breaking something. I want to make sure I understand what you are saying. You are turning your driving lights on with a switch mounted in the #1 position of your faring panel and you tied the lights directly into the turn signal harness. Does that mean your bought a single HD auxiliary switch, and a plug and play harness for tying the lights to the turn signals? And there was no splicing, is that correct? Your switch came with a harness that plugged in under the seat, correct? Trying to tie that in to what I’m doing, which I think is the same thing, only I bought a 2-switch kit. So much to understand with this kit. One connector goes to the left side, power on a right-side connector, and two more items on the harness are labeled ACC-1 which is a connector and another labeled AC-2 which is 3 wires ready to power up something. So far I have been unable to establish what each of them actually does. Like I said, a video could make all the difference in the world, so many such thing would sell so much better if HD would just show guys how to install without having to pay to have it done.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I just checked the Harley parts and accessory book and our kits are different, but they are similar enough to help get you on the right path. If you look at some Harleys they come with a switch pack already installed and even have a fog/driving light button installed in (left) position 1. You mentioned that you have driving lights T'd into 1 of the turn signal harnesses, have these lights worked yet or are they part of the switch install project we are discussing. I'm asking about how the lights are wired because by installing a button in the first spot will potentially save you extra wiring. From looking at your kit, it looks like the middle button controls the 4 pin connector which will require an opposite accessory harness the dealer can supply you with. This might be a good way to hook up your seat as it will allow you to disconnect the connector for easier removal. The right button looks to control the battery power supply to the 3 individual wires. Hope this is helping you, I know this can be somewhat difficult and frustrating if you don't do this kind of work but you'll get it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for working through this with me. I so appreciate it. Final note here, after talking with Harley service, they tell me the switch required for the driving lights is a separate switch which will mount on the left side faring panel, and have the fog lamp icon on it. I have no problem with this (other than an additional $70), since it is plug and play, and I will be left with a harness installed for the two auxiliary switches, one of which will run my heated seat (connector with relay already built into harness) and the other will be available to wire to any other option I come up with, likely at this point to be garage door opener. Thank you again, BH#103.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts