Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that Harley is now making the Coolflow fan for pre-Rushmore bikes ('09-'16)! https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/coolflow-fan-pa-05-26800152--1

The purpose of this part is to draw heat away from the engine/rider and direct it beneath the bike towards the ground. It does NOT work like a Ward/Love Jugs fan that blows air across the engine to lower engine temps, but rather pull heat away from the rider for comfort.

I have a 2015 RGS and would like to put this on for my city commute riding in the summer (temps get HOT). The only thing is that I am not good when it comes to electrical connections and routing, and the instructions are not very clear to me.

To further complicate the matter, I am pretty sure I don't need this entire kit (PN# 26800152) because my bike already has fog lights installed on an accessory switch on the dash. So that makes me wonder if I just need another active switch (currently have the fog light switch and two dummy switches), the coolflow fan itself (PN# 26800151) and some sort of connector/adapter (maybe this https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/switched-circuit-adapter-harness)?

The directions don't make much sense to me. Specifically the part about the Molex connector attaching to some sort of relay? https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/1138443741414206491?locale=en_US#d1041289e171 I found the Parts & Accessory (PA) 8-way Molex connector under my left side panel. It is the big connector that sits above where my FP3 is connected. I just don't know it the Coolflow fan is supposed to plug directly into that, or into something else first?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I saw that Harley is now making the Coolflow fan for pre-Rushmore bikes ('09-'16)! https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/coolflow-fan-pa-05-26800152--1

The purpose of this part is to draw heat away from the engine/rider and direct it beneath the bike towards the ground. It does NOT work like a Ward/Love Jugs fan that blows air across the engine to lower engine temps, but rather pull heat away from the rider for comfort.

I have a 2015 RGS and would like to put this on for my city commute riding in the summer (temps get HOT). The only thing is that I am not good when it comes to electrical connections and routing, and the instructions are not very clear to me.

To further complicate the matter, I am pretty sure I don't need this entire kit (PN# 26800152) because my bike already has fog lights installed on an accessory switch on the dash. So that makes me wonder if I just need another active switch (currently have the fog light switch and two dummy switches), the coolflow fan itself (PN# 26800151) and some sort of connector/adapter (maybe this https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/switched-circuit-adapter-harness)?

The directions don't make much sense to me. Specifically the part about the Molex connector attaching to some sort of relay? https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/1138443741414206491?locale=en_US#d1041289e171 I found the Parts & Accessory (PA) 8-way Molex connector under my left side panel. It is the big connector that sits above where my FP3 is connected. I just don't know it the Coolflow fan is supposed to plug directly into that, or into something else first?
i have one on my bike. everything needed to install (switch, connector, fan & wiring) came with the kit.
the only additional part i had to buy were the heat deflectors that fit under the seat.
dealer needs to flash ecm after install.
dealer installed for about $200. wasn't worth taking the chance to me.
not much room in there for fumble farts like me.

there are 3 settings: auto, on or off.
mine is set to auto but sometimes i'll turn it on when i park the bike after a shakedown run.
it works very well but will blow air over the passenger's foot in some cases.
i don't have passenger pegs but was told this by dealer.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Maybe it is because I am in the Southeast, but I really don't notice much heat from the bike since I am already riding in a sauna and the sun is heating the top of my pants much more than the engine is heating the inside of my legs.

Have you gotten a quote from your dealer to do the installation?

I always get at least a phone quote so I know how much I am saving when I do it myself. :grin:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have an M8; I plan on added the fan assisted oil cooler and maybe coolflow fan. Coming from a water cooled metric, I’m used to heat from the fan and engine .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have an M8; I plan on added the fan assisted oil cooler and maybe coolflow fan. Coming from a water cooled metric, I’m used to heat from the fan and engine .
i normally don't ride when it gets real hot (and humid) anyway, but a recent trip to Evanston IL was a great test.
we spent over an hour in traffic in 90° temps and i was never uncomfortable with the heat from the engine.
a buddy of mine has a fan-assisted oil cooler on his '03 fatboy and it helps a bunch, too.

i think either one would help keep the bike cool, but both would be overkill. my 2¢

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have one on my bike. everything needed to install (switch, connector, fan & wiring) came with the kit.
the only additional part i had to buy were the heat deflectors that fit under the seat.
dealer needs to flash ecm after install.
dealer installed for about $200. wasn't worth taking the chance to me.
not much room in there for fumble farts like me.

there are 3 settings: auto, on or off.
mine is set to auto but sometimes i'll turn it on when i park the bike after a shakedown run.
it works very well but will blow air over the passenger's foot in some cases.
i don't have passenger pegs but was told this by dealer.
All of what you said is only applicable to '17+ bikes. The instruction sheet for pre-M8 bikes is completely different. For the 09-16's, there is no computer ECM programming or "Auto" function. You have to manually switch the fan on/off. I already have the midframe air deflectors and the switch set on the dash for my fog lights. I can buy just the fan from Surdyke for around $100 and another Accessory Switch for around $11. I just don't know if that is all I'd need.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Good to see they made one for pre-M8.

Curious how well it works as well. The lady is complaining about hot foot/calf on the right side. And yes, the head pipe has been replaced with cobras, so no cat.

Reactions: ChromeSpark

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Good to see they made one for pre-M8.

Curious how well it works as well. The lady is complaining about hot foot/calf on the right side. And yes, the head pipe has been replaced with cobras, so no cat.
Knee high leather boots will protect her from the heat. and look damn nice too.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Can't wait to hear about this kit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
Didn’t notice a big difference with my 17 M8 till Sturgis this year. I thought it was the sun scorching my right upper leg. Come to find out it’s the rear jug on the right. It’s way bigger than my 09 was. With the 4 valves per and the larger diameter, it’s throwing off way more heat. I going to get a set of air deflectors to see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Couldn't wait, placed a order with Boardtracker.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Couldn't wait, placed a order with Boardtracker.

Buzzy, could you please take a picture of the connectors that come with the kit when you get it? Or, better yet, document the install? I'm really curious to know if I can get away with just buying the fan and another active switch for my already installed AUX dash switches for my fog lights. I am hoping the fan can directly connect into the Parts and Accessory 8-pin Molex under the right side cover.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also ordered from Boardtracker a few days ago, but just got the fan and the mounting hardware. I'm not using the ACC switch on my 2012 and it looks like all the extra wiring and switches included in the kit is only used on '14 and newer. We'll see. Also, Boardtracker just let me know that the fan is back ordered until early to mid Sept.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Buzzy, could you please take a picture of the connectors that come with the kit when you get it? Or, better yet, document the install? I'm really curious to know if I can get away with just buying the fan and another active switch for my already installed AUX dash switches for my fog lights. I am hoping the fan can directly connect into the Parts and Accessory 8-pin Molex under the right side cover.
Yea, we'll get it figured out for you.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I also ordered from Boardtracker a few days ago, but just got the fan and the mounting hardware. I'm not using the ACC switch on my 2012 and it looks like all the extra wiring and switches included in the kit is only used on '14 and newer. We'll see. Also, Boardtracker just let me know that the fan is back ordered until early to mid Sept.
Great, I email in advance if it would be backordered being so new. And they said no. I was going to wait till winter if I couldn't get it before Tomahawk.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
What was the cost through Broadtracker?

Bill
I think it was $265. I figured the switch kit was worth $100, and the fan at least $100. That leaves $65 for the harness and relay. Not too bad for Harley.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts