Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my experience. Put the chrome HD "get a grip" grips on my '11 RGC less than 6 months ago. Now the left has terrible wear marks and the right is not far behind. Dealer says normal wear..sorry. I've used them for 5k miles tops and am not impressed with the quality. The good: they look awesome and have a nice contour and feel. The bad: they wear quick and you can't buy just one side or replacement rubber. Overall: waste of money at $80 from dealership.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I replaced some worn out Rubber and Chrome collection grips. If these fail anytime soon, I'll just go aftermarket. I try to stay away from the MoCo when possible but it goes with the theme. :D

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Kuryakyn Iso-Grips, whenever the subject comes up they come out on top. I had them on my Ultra Classic for 10 years with no issues.

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Ive got the GAG also...so far so OK...but rubber is hard..just OK...not great...hands still get numb sometimes..better than the nostalgics tho...I'll try the PM grips next...the rubber is replaceable..

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I've got the PM grips in black. Very comfy and the rubber inserts are replaceable, but mine are showing no wear yet. I always wear some sort of gloves when all-day riding as texture is quite pronounced & grippy.

Picture 4 in my album shows them installed.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Interesting, I've had mine since November of last year, over 8500 miles, and they look new.

I would say it's more like you got a bad set, and your dealer is fucking you, but there is nothing wrong with my set, nor a lot of others.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I like the Avon grips. I had the custom contour, but just recently installed the air grips because they are a little fatter. They also seem to cut out a lot of vibration felt through the bars.

I purchased the grips from a factory rep and unless I was mistaken, the grips can be sent in and rebuilt for around $20. At least he offered to have my custom contours re-worked and returned for $20. Since I had used golf club grip tape to install them, let's just say they were not coming off in one piece. Good thing is I did not have to worry about it coming off out on the road somewhere :D

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Thanks for the info, I was looking at those to replace the 9 month old H-D Slipstream grips that had part of an end fall off and basically have not survived 12K miles very well. Maybe warranty since the bike had them installed at delivery? Anyway I'll skip the HD Get A Grips and any other H-D grips . I had very good luck with Kuryakyn Transformer grips on my last bike. Some PM grips would match my PM shift pegs. OK, PM Grips it is discounted from Dennis Kirk - you can replace the Renthal rubber and they are not going to have pieces fall off as you ride.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have some HD grips that have held up fine, but I've heard good things about Performance Machine grips and may give them a try. I think they have a bit of a palm swell for a more natural feel. I hope they are good for the $100 they cost.

http://www.performancemachine.com/motorcycle-accessories/grips/contour.html
I have the Contour XL chrome and Have had them for 2 years and absolutely love them. The renthal rubber is what is used on the dirt bikes and they are comfy.

http://www.performancemachine.com/motorcycle-accessories/grips/contour-XL.html

:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts