Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the best battery the Motor Company has built to date. I had one in my 2017 RG and now in my 2020 RGS. I never have to think twice when starting my motorcycle.

·
Registered
341 Posts
HD doesn’t make batteries. It’s a relabeled unit made by someone else.

My question is, who?

I have some lithium’s in some of the bikes. They require a special charger and they don’t like long term storage without a “lifeline.”

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Glad you like them. Personally I can't see the point unless you are shaving every ounce from your race bike. I bought a used sport bike with one in it, but I didn't want to buy the special maintainer so when it died I put a glass mat battery in. My bikes are on maintainers when parked.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

My question is, who?

I have some lithium’s in some of the bikes. They require a special charger and they don’t like long term storage without a “lifeline.”
All true but I'm still fond of the HD lithium battery.

·
Administrator
10,481 Posts
Is that the one that weighs only a few pounds ?? One of the Harley dealers who has youtube videos was raving over a new battery not long ago and the light weight .. Didn't give it much thought ..

JtB

·
Administrator
10,481 Posts
Glad you like them. Personally I can't see the point unless you are shaving every ounce from your race bike. I bought a used sport bike with one in it, but I didn't want to buy the special maintainer so when it died I put a glass mat battery in. My bikes are on maintainers when parked.
Most of the time even when I ride every day , I put mine on the maintainer between rides , makes a difference I can tell especially in the summer when I go to crank it ...

JtB

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Is that the one that weighs only a few pounds ?? One of the Harley dealers who has youtube videos was raving over a new battery not long ago and the light weight .. Didn't give it much thought ..

JtB
They feel like an empty battery case, that is how light they are. For most Americans losing weight off their bodies would go a long way to increase the Horsepower to Weight Ratio of their riding experience.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is the best battery the Motor Company has built to date. I had one in my 2017 RG and now in my 2020 RGS. I never have to think twice when starting my motorcycle.

They are great as long as you live in a warm area. I bought one and had issues when trying to start the bike below ~45C. Bike would barley crank over. It would take 4-5 tries to get the battery to warm up enough internally to start. I took it out and replaced it with a normal battery. I now have a very poor 300.00 paper weight.

·
Registered
411 Posts

My question is, who?

Special charger? So my standar 1.25 volt battery tender won’t work? Please educate me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This battery requires a lithium battery tender. HD has a dual one and it works great. Lead acid batteries are a thing of the past.

·
Registered
341 Posts
That’s correct. You need a lithium compatible charger. A regular tender can damage your new battery. Most of these lithiums I’ve seen have internal circuitry to protect themselves and prevent the loud noise they make along with the smoke and heat if things go catastrophic. But it’s better to have and use the right tool for the job.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Special charger? So my standar 1.25 volt battery tender won’t work? Please educate me.
Nope. The old one won't work. You need to buy a new charger for the Lithium battery. So you're looking at $300 for the battery and another $60 for the dual mode charger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts