Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 RGS and thinking of installing HDs street cannons slipons with no other changes. I am looking for a bit more tone, not looking for loud. Has anyone tried these on their M8, if so, how do you like the setup?

Thanks

·
Registered
958 Posts
When I got mine the Street Cannons (HD) were the only option - I wanted the stage one done at time of delivery so I had them put them on planning on changing them out when V&H became available - I ended up liking them - they gave a nice deep tone at idle - sounded nice when you got on it - I did the V&H duals and stage III that changed the deep mellow sound a bit - it became a little more robust - but I still liked the cannon slip-ons - didn't feel the need to change them out they look good / sound good - Have been asked many times about the sound / tone - been told it's not to loud / sounds deep - what those indviduals were looking for, but to each their own......

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds just like what I am looking for.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I hav never owned a set so take this for what its worth........I have heard quite a few say that the HD SCs are not really that much louder or deeper than the stockers and with a Catted M8, that is already a very quite sound to begin with

Not bashing by any means......just relaying what I have heard and read a few times

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SE, thanks for the input, good to have.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ive had them on since around 100 miles.. now at just under 5000 miles.. I like them they dont sound too loud to wake the neighbors but if I get on it they're loud enough.\

that being said I think Ill be selling them and going with the full system from Harley, to get the heat off my right leg while riding in warm weather. they're also supposed to perform better.

·
Registered
908 Posts
My wife has the HD Street Cannons on her 17 Road Glide Special. They start sounding pretty good after 1000 miles. They are nice and deep, have a nice sound when you get on it. That said they are not as loud as a twin cam with out a cat in the headpipe.

You will only get so much sound out of any slip-on with the M8 motor and the cat head pipe. I have heard many different slip-ons on stock M8's, Rhineheart, Vance and Hines, and RC components. They all have about the same volume.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine is a 2016, so not an M8, but I've had the Street Cannons for about 15,000 miles. They are somewhat louder than stock with a deeper tone. They will bark when you accelerate. They will get louder over time, but not so loud they leave my ears "shell shocked" after 10 hours touring like some pipes, and I can still hear the radio.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
You will only get so much sound out of any slip-on with the M8 motor and the cat head pipe. I have heard many different slip-ons on stock M8's, Rhineheart, Vance and Hines, and RC components. They all have about the same volume.
BINGO - I just went through this when I got my V&H HOs to replace my CVOs with Fullsacs - I listened to everything and the "volume" is all about the same - The tone is what makes the difference.........and the difference is by no means monumental......but its there

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For me, I’m looking for a difference in tone not volume or loud. I know there are a lot of manufactures of some great slipons, but right now I wish to stay with Harley slipons with my 18 Road glide.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I originally had only street cannons; I now have a stage two torque cam and ventilator air cleaner. When I had just the cannons, there was definitely an improvement in sound that is only heard when you hit the throttle. They sound pretty much like stock pipes at idol. Keep in mind -- and I know this has been debated and some disagree -- according to my dealer and the HD website, on the M8, you are required to retune the engine with a street tuner even if you only put on slipons (that's an additional $300). Prior to the M8, this wasn't a requirement.

·
Registered
908 Posts
As some one who put 20,526 trouble free miles on my 17 CVO Street glide with Slip-ons and no tune, your dealer is full of it. Yes the P&A catalog says you have to tune also. However with the cat, there is so little change there is no need to tune. The New HD tuner can not change the fuel map anyways which is why you would tune.

My wife's 17 Road Glide has had zero issues, and the dealer installed the Street Cannons with out doing a tuner or map.

My 18 CVO Road glide has Fullsac baffles in the factory mufflers, no tune required. 4468 miles so far.

If I were to also change the air cleaner, or remove the cat then a tune would be needed.

If you remove the cat, the HD tuner can not adjust the fuel mixture to compensate for it.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are about 5 dealers within 1 1/2 hours from me and they all say no tune needed with just street cannon slipon install.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Hate to pile on a dead horse.......but I did just add V&H Slips to replace HD CVO Slips with aftermarket baffles and I asked the dealer.......with a new brand of add-on outside of HD, do I need a map and tune........answer was no.......asked the same of another dealer.......answer was no - With the CAT in, so very little is changed wth the Slips outside of a small variance in back pressure.....a retune is not needed - I have 7500 on my 17 M8 of which 7300 is with after market cans..........zero issues and the bike runs strong........strong enough to stay neck and neck with a 15 CVO RGU Stage 1.........and all my lil M8 has is slips

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Just registered to this site. Here’s my dilemma. I have a 17 RGS. At break-in did Screaming Eagle Stage One and Two upgrades. Thought, new motor, better be careful about the warranty. I also went with the high output header package with Street Cannons. Torque and HP went up from stock a bit. That’s good! The bike doesn’t sound like I want it to though. The potato-potato sound is what I’m looking for. Been checking You-Tube and other sites. Just haven’t found a convincing place to spend a wad of money. Very frustrated. Anyone had any success in this area?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I put on the HD street cannons on this winter and have the HD ventilator a/c and HD black tuner. I have about 1k miles on them, I like the sound, not to quiet, not too loud (oh my god am I getting old???!!!).

I have no potato potato potato. The only m8 clips I have seen that do usually include and a/m cam, tuner and exhaust.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2017 RGS. I bought the bike used and it had street cannons on it that were gutted. I road it about 120 miles home and it was to loud. I bought some new Street cannons and when I was changing them out I looked in the factory header. And that was gutted as well. No wonder it was loud. Lol.
It sounds much better now, I've had the new pipes on now for about 800 miles. I think it sounds pretty good now, and not to loud at all.
Bill

·
Registered
317 Posts
As some one who put 20,526 trouble free miles on my 17 CVO Street glide with Slip-ons and no tune, your dealer is full of it. Yes the P&A catalog says you have to tune also. However with the cat, there is so little change there is no need to tune. The New HD tuner can not change the fuel map anyways which is why you would tune.

My wife's 17 Road Glide has had zero issues, and the dealer installed the Street Cannons with out doing a tuner or map.

My 18 CVO Road glide has Fullsac baffles in the factory mufflers, no tune required. 4468 miles so far.

If I were to also change the air cleaner, or remove the cat then a tune would be needed.

If you remove the cat, the HD tuner can not adjust the fuel mixture to compensate for it.
Dave, going to go with the 2.0 cores and Techmat in my stock CVO slipons along with their MX pipe. Will I need a retune after doing both of these, looking at the HD SE Pro Street tuner as I am not trying to squeeze every HP and TQ out the already awesome 117 and another rider on FB said it can be set up by your dealership as I am also not map friendly. Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts