Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had installed the Ohlin #6 for the rear - Howard (motorcycle metal), did not have the Ohlin fronts in stock yet - Thought I'd go Progressive Monotubes - Talked to them at Bike Week they were not installing - just selling - I did not want to do the fronts - talked with the HD Factory Crew at their demo booth / they convinced me to try the new HD offerings - I had Laconia HD install them, they looked exactly like the Progressive units - stayed skeptical until I took it for a ride - got about 1200 miles on them - very pleased - no front end dive, excellent front handling - I'm not a road racer, those days are gone - for two up touring / handling so far so good - would be interested if anyone else has installed them.

Cost was the same as the Progressive

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Thats cool, you think harley would start putting them in as a stock set up instead of an up grade. I did the progressive, way better. Glad your having the same results

·
Registered
656 Posts
Do you have a part number? Can you put in a spacer to drop it an inch?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll get it for you, they are in the new 2012 parts catalog, yes they offer with the one inch drop as well, they look exactly like the Progessive units - heard HD is also going with Ohlin as an option as well........

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats cool, you think harley would start putting them in as a stock set up instead of an up grade. I did the progressive, way better. Glad your having the same results
I asked the suspension guys at the HD tent, the exact same thing, they smiled, couldn't be sure but almost looked like dollar signs appearing in their eyes!!!:D

We all ask it, I guess like the 103, it will come when competitors force it....... Until then I guess we get to keep up the meet and greats with the parts guys!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I wonder who the monotube supplier is for HD. Could Progressive be the supplier.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
well, I got a different story, progressive was ready to tear down my bike on the spot and install monotubes and 440's, while I walked around.

someone out and about said the monotubes and ABS cause the bike to 'pull' to the left, so I got concerned and wanted to wait and see how things played out.

still, anything is better than OE, glad to hear that harley is on top of it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Might be but showa has been supplying hd with suspension for years.
+1

Showa has been supplying the "Big Piston" mono tube kits for the XR1200. Wouldn't be a big trick for them to make them for other models. As long as they've been using Showa as a supplier, I doubt they'd drop them for an American made product!:mad:

Jeff

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
someone out and about said the monotubes and ABS cause the bike to 'pull' to the left, so I got concerned and wanted to wait and see how things played out.
I have the monotubes without ABS and I have no problem with the bike pulling left or right. Never heard anything about this problem with ABS bikes.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
+1

Showa has been supplying the "Big Piston" mono tube kits for the XR1200. Wouldn't be a big trick for them to make them for other models. As long as they've been using Showa as a supplier, I doubt they'd drop them for an American made product!:mad:

Jeff
I'll be needing to do something here soon, almost bounced over the handlebars, first time I rode a glide.

re: American v. non-American, at this point American might be more cost effective, only Harley knows.

did you get those speakers installed?

I have the monotubes without ABS and I have no problem with the bike pulling left or right. Never heard anything about this problem with ABS bikes.
well, that was the rumor, and good thing, because some of these roads get technical

btw, great signature pic. Did you already tell everybody where that was taken?

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I'll be needing to do something here soon, almost bounced over the handlebars, first time I rode a glide.

re: American v. non-American, at this point American might be more cost effective, only Harley knows.

did you get those speakers installed?

well, that was the rumor, and good thing, because some of these roads get technical

btw, great signature pic. Did you already tell everybody where that was taken?
Thanks! I took the pic in Meadview, AZ that is the beginning of Lake Mead in the background.

·
Registered
614 Posts
well, I got a different story, progressive was ready to tear down my bike on the spot and install monotubes and 440's, while I walked around.

still, anything is better than OE, glad to hear that harley is on top of it.
Stock height mono tubes and abs on my bike for the last 5000 miles no problems no pulling. Big improvement.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
No logical reason this woudl happen, the monotubes do not change the structural portion of the forks, only the dampening and springs.
I've had nothing but good results from my 2" lowered setup.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just ordered my monotubes through Jett tuning. We'll see how they turn out. Stay "tuned." :D

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
i dont see how the combo would cause your bike to pull to one side. pulling while braking is usually caused by one side not braking as effectively as the other, and since you only have one front wheel, i don't see that happening.

if it is pulling not under braking, i don't see that either as the abs is virtually transparent unless you are on the verge of locking your wheel up. and i highly doubt that using these tubes would put your forks at such different lengths that your front wheel would be out of alignment because of it.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts

I have monotubes WITH ABS, no issues............

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
after 'playing' with my ABS for the last 12k mi.

I've determined one thing, if ABS is needed, it's mostly a rear braking function, with the fronts being an assist. not sure if that makes sense, but I feel like the front brakes if applied equally with the backs hinder the rear ABS.

sick of dive bombing, thanks for responding

not wanting to, but should probably take the bike apart and give it some attention. the only bad part is, deciding where to stop on new parts, and the 1" 2" dilemma.

it's like once you're in there you coulda wanna replace this and joe from down the way has that. sliders, bells, wheels, bars

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
they aren't supposed to, hence why they call it 'stock height'

1 - 20 of 25 Posts