Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to replace the oil filter (chrome) tonight after the top end rebuild by Blackjack HD here in Florence and the SOB won't budge one bit. I have two of the HD wrenches, tried both and they both slip without budging the filter. Engine was at operating temperature when I tried this. Before sticking a screwdriver into the filter - what other suggestions are there out there???

·
Registered
999 Posts
Been there!

The first time I changed my own oil I found the "tech" at the dealer that did my 1K service had not lubed the rubber seal on the oil filter and he over tightened it.
Took me forever to get the damn thing off.
I didn't skewer it with a screwdriver but I did get primitive with a big pair of channel lock pliers and finally got it off.
ALWAYS PUT A THIN COAT OF OIL ON THE RUBBER O RING ON THE OIL FILTER BEFORE YOU TIGHTEN IT DOWN, HAND TIGHT.
Good luck!
HSP

·
Registered
132 Posts
I second stab both those SOBs with a large screwdriver. Then switch to a K&N oil filter because they have a nut welded on so you can use a ratchet with a regular socket so no clearance issues.

·
Registered
498 Posts
FYI, The welded on nut on K&N filters doesn't always work. It's just formed sheet metal and if the filter is really stuck on there isn't enough for a socket to get a decent grip.

You can't always blame the tech. I do my own maintenance and have managed to get filters jammed on a couple of times. I'm pretty careful about not over tightening them.

Also, I'd try a lot of things before resorting to jamming a screwdriver through it. The filter is just thin metal. The screwdriver can tear through it without budging it and then you'll be left with nothing to get a grip on if it doesn't work. I picked up a filter removal tool at advanced auto that has three finger that tighten down the harder you turn it. The fingers fit over the end but still clear the cylinder base. You can find them at Wally mart or wherever

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Get the filter strap that has a socket on it. Harbor Freight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
483 Posts
Strap

Went to replace the oil filter (chrome) tonight after the top end rebuild by Blackjack HD here in Florence and the SOB won't budge one bit. I have two of the HD wrenches, tried both and they both slip without budging the filter. Engine was at operating temperature when I tried this. Before sticking a screwdriver into the filter - what other suggestions are there out there???
Hey Shirt! If you have an old serpentine belt you can slip it around the filter and get a good bite on it. I keep an old one around for just that. Good luck.

Reactions: dreeves

·
Registered
654 Posts
This is why I use the K & N filter. It has a nut welded on the top of it. Much easier to remove with a socket extender.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Even the K&N Filter can get stuck and that nut on the end is molded sheet metal and can round off very easily. It's not a guaranty as it just happened to me the other day. I had to use a strap wrench to get it loose.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If mine sticks I drive a screwdriver through it. I have had good luck with K&N though.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Get a strap wrench or you can also get a filter pliers which is like a pair of pliers that you can grip the filter by the top where it is strongest these pliers are available in 2 sizes and can be bought at a auto part store. Using one of these 2 methods will work and will be less messy than the screwdriver method. I have a large pair of these pliers that I need to use to change the filter on my diesel pickup truck and they work great.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
i've had good luck with the rivco oil filter wrench. i had an oil filter that was so tight that the harley cap wrench would slip. i finally had to drill a hole in the end of the wrench, and run a decking screw through the cap wrench into the filter to get it off.

bought this and have never had a problem since. course that could be that i've done all the filter changes too :D

Rivco Oil Filter Wrench | 911-051 | J&P Cycles

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i've had good luck with the rivco oil filter wrench. i had an oil filter that was so tight that the harley cap wrench would slip. i finally had to drill a hole in the end of the wrench, and run a decking screw through the cap wrench into the filter to get it off.

bought this and have never had a problem since. course that could be that i've done all the filter changes too :D

Rivco Oil Filter Wrench | 911-051 | J&P Cycles
I second that, skratch - give the Wench a try!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Used the K&N filters for the last 15 years, never had one stick. A couple notes:
a: spin the filter on till it hits the O-ring, tighten approx. 1/8 turn.
b: When removing, don't jump on the wrench, put some twist on it and hold it there for a few seconds
then apply a little more pressure gradually till the O-ring lets go.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have had filters stick that I put on myself maybe a little too tight. When the bike was hot it wouldn't break loose. Waited and changed all the fluids and let the bike cool down and filter came off no issues.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts