Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week I purchased a used HD Passenger Foot Rest kit from a fellow forum member here at RG.Org (perfect transaction by the way). But since the kit was used it didn't come with any installation instructions (how hard could it be right.............)

The HD part number of the kit is 50379-07B
https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/passenger-footboard-and-mount-kit

Is there a left hand versus right hand difference to the brackets or are they interchangeable side to side? The brackets are not perfectly perpendicular, but both have a slight angle in the same direction, so regardless of the side I install them on, one bracket positions the footboard slightly forward and the other slightly back. If they are left side, right side specific, they aren't marked in any way and I crossed reference the part number for just the bracket and it shows the same HD P.N. for both brackets. I also pulled up the online installation .pdf and it makes no mention of whether the brackets are side specific.

Any guidance or comments are appreciated, even if only to tell me that I'm an idiot.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have the same ones. I couldn't tell a difference in the brackets. had a buddy come by so I could look at his mounted, and there was no difference.
I just went ahead and mounted them up. The single hole goes to the top.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have the same ones. I couldn't tell a difference in the brackets. had a buddy come by so I could look at his mounted, and there was no difference.
I just went ahead and mounted them up. The single hole goes to the top.
Bevis, thanks for the confirmation that I'm imagining things or that I'm just an idiot :)

Much appreciated. I'm blaming this on the same reason for my stupid saddlebag question earlier today, nasty upper respiratory infection and good hydro cough syrup as treatment :)

Wev

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Not a problem...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'm going to hate these when I'm backing up...... But I'm sure the wife is going to love them. I swapped the brackets from side to side and it didn't make a difference one way or another. Picked up the two lower shoulder bolts at the dealership on the home last night and got them mounted in a jiffy.

Surprised by the super low torque requirements on those bottom shoulder bolts. Glad the new bolts had some thread lock on them.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Any guidance or comments are appreciated, even if only to tell me that I'm an idiot.
Screw the instructions, Just ask your wife...if she says they're comfortable...then they're on right.:grin:

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Screw the instructions, Just ask your wife...if she says they're comfortable...then they're on right.:grin:
You are wise beyond your years Stoic. That is the secret behind our 30 year union :) Well, that, and I just got too old to have enough energy to argue with her anymore :)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think I'm going to hate these when I'm backing up...... But I'm sure the wife is going to love them. I swapped the brackets from side to side and it didn't make a difference one way or another. Picked up the two lower shoulder bolts at the dealership on the home last night and got them mounted in a jiffy.

Surprised by the super low torque requirements on those bottom shoulder bolts. Glad the new bolts had some thread lock on them.
The torque requirement are lower on the bottom bolts because they are shoulder bolts and are meant to be slipped if you choose to reposition the mounts either one hole up or down. Also the bottom bolt is smaller than the top. hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts