Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question on shocks, how many members out there are happy with there HD premium shocks, and does anyone have progressives to compare, I have entry level progressives the 412s and was wondering how they perform against the HD premium shocks, are they similar or is one better, any info is greatly appreciated.:confused:

· Registered
1 Posts
Progressive front shocks

If you're talking only front shocks here, I have an '09 CVO Road Glide that I replaced the front shocks on. I went with the Progressive Monotube shocks and they are awesome. They still provide a smooth ride and they're not overly firm, but the best thing is that my cornering and braking is soooo much better. Though I've always had an over abundance of confidence in the turns on my Harleys, the way my Glide dipped into the corners and dipped on front breaking was frustrating and sometimes scary. My Progressive suspension puts me on a tight Monorail in the turns now, pun intended. I've actually been using Progressive Suspension on my Softails for years now, so I'm not surprised.

· Registered
440 Posts
About a year or so ago I replaced the crappy, leaking air shocks on my '13 RGC with the HD Premium adjustables. Very pleased, much better ride. And I wouldn't pay any extra bucks for Progressives or any of the other over priced shocks. A quality shock is a quality shock and even the HD adjustables could be sold cheaper--if the dealers wanted to or were forced to cause customers started seeing the nonsense in all the dang hype over high priced shocks.

· Registered
1,815 Posts
I was skeptical about the 12" premium shocks. My 09 had 13" air shocks. I thought the lack of travel would be an issue. I was wrong. The premium shocks do a good job. The new 49mm front end is a big improvement as well. No need to modify the suspension on the 2015. Who woulda thunk it?

· Registered
10,584 Posts
About a year or so ago I replaced the crappy, leaking air shocks on my '13 RGC with the HD Premium adjustables. Very pleased, much better ride. And I wouldn't pay any extra bucks for Progressives or any of the other over priced shocks. A quality shock is a quality shock and even the HD adjustables could be sold cheaper--if the dealers wanted to or were forced to cause customers started seeing the nonsense in all the dang hype over high priced shocks.
They do get you when selling MC shocks. You can buy a set of 4 good automotive socks for under $2 bill but when looking at MC shocks the price triples for a set of 2.
There can't be that much difference in the shocks to justify the cost difference.

· Registered
155 Posts
I have a question on shocks, how many members out there are happy with there HD premium shocks, and does anyone have progressives to compare, I have entry level progressives the 412s and was wondering how they perform against the HD premium shocks, are they similar or is one better, any info is greatly appreciated.
Regarding rear shocks: on my previous and current HD touring bikes I've used OEM air, HD premium, Progressive 412's, 440's, and 444's. My impressions are 412's are better then OEM air,then HD premium shocks are comparable to 440's and 444's. All shocks were 3 inch standard travel.

regards,

· Registered
1,390 Posts
"THE SHORT BUS" has the HD Premium F&R for 30k mi. now. Smoother ride than the Progressive bikes I have ridden. Great in the hi-speed Western sweepers, the Eastern twisties, and the Interstates in between..

The (stock) front was the weak point on the '09 SERG, it's fixed now...

· Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I was buying new it would be a consideration, but I purchased a set of HD premium shocks from another member for a good price, I have a price range I have to stay within, but on the upside I will be selling my progressive 412s as soon as I do the swap.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
I originally had the HD Premium shocks and now I have the Progressive 970's. I find the HD Premium is better for all around riding; especially on the slab. My 970's are dialed in for riding aggressively in the twisties. I sacrifice an over all smooth ride for better handling in the mountains.

· Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input from all the members, yes the HD premiums are the real deal, very happy with them and they compliment my progressive mono-tubes very nicely, a set up I highly recommend. :grin::grin:

· Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree but the shocks I installed are not the crappy air shocks, they are useless IMO, I installed the premium shocks I think they are great and a lot of members feel they are just as good as the 944s .

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.