Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to lowering the front just a little bit, for better reach to the ground.

Profile Low Touring Front Lowering Kit

Place the rider's feet firmly on the ground. This kit utilizes components designed to provide a 1" decrease in ride height.

54564-09

Fits '09-later Touring models (except FLHR, FLHRC, FLHP, FLHPE, FLTRSE3, FLHXSE/2 and Trike models). Must only be installed on vehicles equipped with Profile Low Touring Shocks P/N 54635-09. Can be installed on FLHX and FLTRX models with Original Equipment rear shocks.

MSRP US $149.95

Couple of questions:

1. Worth it? or are there better options to lower the front in this price range?

2. Easy to install for a diy? Or best left to the shop?

3. Feedback from those that have it??

Thank you all!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey bro,
I did my Road King, lowered front and back 1" and its fine, i did the harley kit, installed was 1000 out the door, made the bike useable and safe for the old lady, and she loves it. I ride it, and I have no issues, I am 6 3 btw

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey bro,
I did my Road King, lowered front and back 1" and its fine, i did the harley kit, installed was 1000 out the door, made the bike useable and safe for the old lady, and she loves it. I ride it, and I have no issues, I am 6 3 btw
1K!! for a 117.00 in parts... ouch! :eek: I really need to validate if I can do the install.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I got Black Legs and lowered it at the same time. I had the shop do it. Helped a bit with getting me closer to the ground, but i still needed a narrower seat to really do the job. im only 5'6"
I dont remember it costing that much. Of course I had a $2500 gift card with the purchase of my Road Glide.
I think i would do the progressive drop in lower kit, as it really slams the fairing down close to the fender. i just think from the pictures I have seen, i like the progressive better. But im not unhappy with HDs.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm getting the same thing done to my bike while the fork tubes are being replaced from my accident. The labor is free since the bike is apart :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
It is, BUT, if I had done it myself, the redoux woulda been several thousand, so I cut my losses early

·
Registered
195 Posts
Go with the Progressive drop-ins. They give you range of 1"- 2.5" based on the spacers you use. Easy setup. Go with the Heavy Duty fork oil. Cheaper than what your paying for the Harley springs. My 2cents are officially in ;) Best of luck!

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I also had good luck with progressive suspension. I think they put better springs out there than HD. Thats what they do.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go with the Progressive drop-ins. They give you range of 1"- 2.5" based on the spacers you use. Easy setup. Go with the Heavy Duty fork oil. Cheaper than what your paying for the Harley springs. My 2cents are officially in ;) Best of luck!
Guys you are talking to a newbie :eek:

Can you spell it out?

Progressive drop ins? What company? Linky? Cost?

Heavy Duty fork oil?? Brand? Cost? Linky?

Any links to install steps? Video?

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I had the HD ones installed by the dealer before i took delivery, along with the black lower legs and cow bells. I think i only paid 2 hrs. labor plus parts for all.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
From the video it looks easy enough that even I could do it.

Only need to find the specs on the Heavy Duty Fork oil. Is that the same as the Screaming Eagle Heavy Duty Fork oil? There is an Extra HD also??

How much do I need? Fill it to the rim kind of process?

Apologies for so many questions... Workshop manual is still on backorder... I have rebuilt car engines, but completely clueless when it comes to a motorcycle fork tube...

·
Registered
453 Posts
From the video it looks easy enough that even I could do it.

Only need to find the specs on the Heavy Duty Fork oil. Is that the same as the Screaming Eagle Heavy Duty Fork oil? There is an Extra HD also??

How much do I need? Fill it to the rim kind of process?

Apologies for so many questions... Workshop manual is still on backorder... I have rebuilt car engines, but completely clueless when it comes to a motorcycle fork tube...
Ask dealer for heavy weight SE oil. The instructions will say how much oil you need. DO NOT fill it to the rim!! The job is fairly easy if you are farmiliar with the parts and process. I DEFINITELY would not pay $1000 to have someone else do it, that is crazy. Its an intimidating job, but straightforward. If you plan to take the tubes completly off (I did, easier to re-assemble and take apart for that matter) get a 2" (diameter) piece of PVC pipe to pound the fork seals back in place. The fork seals (buy two new ones for the job) are the black ring that sits at the top of your lower fork leg. Also make sure you have a 1 3/8" socket for the bolt at the top of the forks

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ask dealer for heavy weight SE oil. The instructions will say how much oil you need. DO NOT fill it to the rim!! The job is fairly easy if you are farmiliar with the parts and process. I DEFINITELY would not pay $1000 to have someone else do it, that is crazy. Its an intimidating job, but straightforward. If you plan to take the tubes completly off (I did, easier to re-assemble and take apart for that matter) get a 2" (diameter) piece of PVC pipe to pound the fork seals back in place. The fork seals (buy two new ones for the job) are the black ring that sits at the top of your lower fork leg. Also make sure you have a 1 3/8" socket for the bolt at the top of the forks
Excellent! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
These live chats are great... Part number to order drop-in kit# 10-2003 - 129.95

Chat transcription :-

Progressive Suspension : Hi, how can I help you?
Progressive Suspension : Hi, how can I help you?
148.87.67.202 : Hello, a little confused with the part list... I have a 2011
Harley Davidson Road Glide Custom.
148.87.67.202 : Trying to figure out what part number for the progressive drop
in suspension/springs for the front forks.
148.87.67.202 : only want a 1" drop and was told this was a better option than
the HD kit
Progressive Suspension : Let me take a look, give me one minute.
148.87.67.202 : http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=6090
Progressive Suspension : Our drop-in kit# 10-2003 will allow you to lower the
front end 1"-2"
Progressive Suspension : So you can fine tune the amount of drop
148.87.67.202 : ok and that is a progressive rate setup
148.87.67.202 : excellent
148.87.67.202 : thank you.
Progressive Suspension : You're welcome, have a great day.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Some one's labor coat is way to high. The book only calls for three hours. I had the Progressive drop in the first time around. POS imho. Had them replaced with the factory lowering kit. Much better ride as the springs are cut to exact length. I also had Progressive 440 12.5 shocks installed on the rear. Bike rides smooth as glass. :D

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
BTW, if you are getting the Progressive kit, get the the monotube set up. No fork oil except for a trace amount to slide everything in. No fork oil to change in the future, no worries of a blown fork seal, making maintence just a little bit easier. I'm waiting on mine and some parts to come off back order from Klock Werks to finish out the front end all at one time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts