Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this problem, and what did you do to not allow this to happen?

I purchased some protective film but had trouble getting it to fit perfectly, even with wetting it and using all the tricks, the fender curves made this darn near impossible.

I like to have on a comfy seat for my girl, but some days I like to change it up and put on the solo seat for a change of pace.
If you don't protect the fender from the two up seat it will damage the clear coat.

It boggles my mind that HD seats are not designed with this in mind, piss poor construction that allows the fender to get damaged.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yes this kills me. Most expensive bike I have ever bought (28k) and its own approved parts wear the paint off of themselves. Also only machine I have ever purchased that you have to bend a piece in the vise (backrest on seat) to make it fit without stressing the part. Before I got this bike, I rode into a Harley shop on a 10 year old BMW and a salesman asked me if I was ready to step up to a Harley? Huh? You mean one with an adjustable windscreen, adjustable heated seat, electronically adjustable suspension, and doesn’t wobble in the corners? Show me! Ok rant over. I’ve enjoyed the bike, and I did nothing about the paint wearing as it is not visible. I do worry about the consequences when it all wears off??.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
this is not just a 'harley' problem. every seat that I've seen, whether it be stock, aftermarket hd, or full aftermarket will scuff the clear on the fender. since I ride strictly solo, I don't worry about it.

if it is a concern, you can always get the underseat bumpers that they use on the cvo seats.

I happen to have a set from my old cvo, hd wants $60 for the pair. i'll take $30 shipped. you may want to replace the 3m tape, but otherwise, I took them off right after I got the bike.... (yeah, I know. shameless plug. I gotta get new parts somehow)

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is not just a 'harley' problem. every seat that I've seen, whether it be stock, aftermarket hd, or full aftermarket will scuff the clear on the fender. since I ride strictly solo, I don't worry about it.

if it is a concern, you can always get the underseat bumpers that they use on the cvo seats.

I happen to have a set from my old cvo, hd wants $60 for the pair. i'll take $30 shipped. you may want to replace the 3m tape, but otherwise, I took them off right after I got the bike.... (yeah, I know. shameless plug. I gotta get new parts somehow)
I'll give them a try pm me and we'll get them moving.

Its bullshit that hd parts fit this poorly and damage the clear coat on the rear fender.
If it were aftermarket seats that did this it might make sense but not factory parts, pitiful.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Having just gone to a 2 piece seat myself, I recently ordered some of these bumper strips as well. That seat rub-off is absolute hell to get out of white paint.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used the fender bumpers but must not have had them perfectly placed, the dam harley hammock still put two little rub spots on my fender.

Design of all HD seats is piss poor and possibly others from the reading above.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’m not having much luck hunting for those under seat bumpers.
I’m trying online though and not the catalog.
Anybody have a link?
My bike is brand new and I know on my SG the seat scuffed the rear fender.
I think I’d like the option of switching to a solo seat sometimes without the scuffs.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Anybody have a link?
I think I’d like the option of switching to a solo seat sometimes without the scuffs.
there's no way to stop the scuffing.
anytime you put weight on a painted surface and then rub on it will scuff.
been like that since they stopped using solo "pogo" seats.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts

Anybody have a link?

I have 2 of those fender pads brand new for sale in chrome/blk. Surdyke sells them for $25 each plus shipping. Dealership sells them for $32 each. I'll sell the 2 I have for $50 shipped to contiguous US. Just PM me if interested. I'll load pics.

·
Registered
760 Posts

Anybody have a link?

I have 2 of those fender pads brand new for sale in chrome/blk. Surdyke sells them for $25 each plus shipping. Dealership sells them for $32 each. I'll sell the 2 I have for $50 shipped to contiguous US. Just PM me if interested. I'll load pics.
I will take them, money sent

1 - 13 of 13 Posts