Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 RG just hit 15000 miles and due for oil change. I am a heavy equipment / fleet mechanic and plus maintain all my own vehicles. Should I take it to my local dealer and let them perform their 15000 mile service on it or will I be fine doing it I have owned many bike but this RG is my pride and joy.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
You really didn't expect any other answer than what your getting did ya ? With your back ground, do it your self . You should all ready have had a manual, shame on you . lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You really didn't expect any other answer than what your getting did ya ? With your back ground, do it your self . You should all ready have had a manual, shame on you . lol
Haha. Thanks I was talking to the service writer and he was naming off everything HD should do on my 15000 service and I was speechless thinking who does that?!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
They Don't ~ We ride our bikes, know our bikes ~ and are the expert on our bikes if there is an issue.... Service Yourself ~ you will know fasteners are torqued to spec and what was done ~ ....

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Service riders or back end salesmen they get commission on the tickets they write.Not calling them liars but!!!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Oh hell no I wouldn't I didn't even let them do the oh so important 1000 mile one. I fell for that crap on my first bike before I learned about this forum I thought I had to let them do it or lose my warranty and now I know that's bullbutter they ain't getting no more of my money for service jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Haha. Thanks I was talking to the service writer and he was naming off everything HD should do on my 15000 service and I was speechless thinking who does that?!
There is a lot of stuff they check. The trick is how they check it
Most equipment is just looked over or grabbed. Being a mechanic you know what to look for. A few things dont even need checked either like valve clearance. I guarantee they check that by ear.
Use your head , manual and go slow . Make sure you have an Allen socket set, a regular Allen set, and a Torx socket set along with a Torque wrench

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
There is a lot of stuff they check. The trick is how they check it
Most equipment is just looked over or grabbed. Being a mechanic you know what to look for. A few things dont even need checked either like valve clearance. I guarantee they check that by ear.
Use your head , manual and go slow .
My best friend used to be a mechanic at a Harley Dealership. The mechanics were rewarded financially for completing jobs faster then expected. He told me that the HD mechanics don't ever check the things that they're supposed to do. On a basic service they usually fill all 3 holes and throw on a filter. You're lucky if they take the time to adjust and lube your clutch.

I didn't know this until it was explained to me. My friend has been a mechanic for over 30 years. He has wrenched and managed many shops. When the shop tells you that a job is going to take 4 hours of labor it is not exactly true. The 4 hours is based on how long it would take a trained mechanic to do the job for the very first time. Most mechanics do the same work dozens of times and get faster every time. It might only take them 1 1/2 hours to complete the job but they will still charge you for 4 hours of work. Now, if the mechanic finished his 1 1/2 hour job in 1 hour, he gets rewarded. This is how the auto repair industry works (according to my friend).

·
Registered
171 Posts
I found a whole set of these on line (free). This should at least give you a basic idea of what to check. I have them in 5,000 mile intervals up to 50,000 miles. Hope this works, it was a PDF file converted to a jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Cool thanks,....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts