Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running the H-D tire shredder kit? Good? Bad? If you're running this kit, roughly what was the cost installed? Is there a better set of cams that can be added to this kit to make a little extra power?

For those that are going to say it, no, I'm not interested at this time in replacing the entire engine. Yes, I know some independent shops 'might' be able to do a better job. I've tried talking to some of them. Most won't take the time to call back. One outright lied to me about the process. I know there may be better kits, but I really want to get this build done before riding out to the Sturgis Rally, and I'll like to bump up the power on this scoot. Right now it feels like it drops off sharply at 100 mph.

Willing to listen to opinions and suggestions (and thanks for chiming in).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Anybody running the H-D tire shredder kit? Good? Bad? If you're running this kit, roughly what was the cost installed? Is there a better set of cams that can be added to this kit to make a little extra power?

For those that are going to say it, no, I'm not interested at this time in replacing the entire engine. Yes, I know some independent shops 'might' be able to do a better job. I've tried talking to some of them. Most won't take the time to call back. One outright lied to me about the process. I know there may be better kits, but I really want to get this build done before riding out to the Sturgis Rally, and I'll like to bump up the power on this scoot. Right now it feels like it drops off sharply at 100 mph.

Willing to listen to opinions and suggestions (and thanks for chiming in).
I purchased this kit to install on a 2016 Road Glide, The mechanic at the Harley dealership recommend, I purchase the 585 Cams, along with the hi-flow cam plate and oil filter. They quoted me a total of 16 hours for the install which include a full dyno tune. I am schedule to do the install the week of the 19th... I also purchase the orange Harley tuner.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased this kit to install on a 2016 Road Glide, The mechanic at the Harley dealership recommend, I purchase the 585 Cams, along with the hi-flow cam plate and oil filter. They quoted me a total of 16 hours for the install which include a full dyno tune. I am schedule to do the install the week of the 19th... I also purchase the orange Harley tuner.
I just got a quote from Las Vegas H-D. The hours you were quoted are right on par with what they said. I was told 12-hours plus the tune, which will put it around the 16-17 hour mark. They claim it should be around 110hp / 110tq with the Tire Shredder kit as is, without changing out the cams the kit comes with. Never really know how that works out, but guess I'm going to go with this kit. Will know more in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I have the tire shredder kit on my 2011 Limited. In total cost me around $8,000 which included the tune and I replaced the front suspension as well at that time. That kit, a ThunderMax ECU, Supertrapp 2-1 and the High Performance A/C dyno tuned at 110hp/119tq. I will see if I can find the dyno tune sheet but those were the numbers. I didn't change the cams and just used the kit the way it was delivered.
I had it installed when I was in NC at Durham HD ( I believe is Raging Bull HD now) a few years ago. I don't ride the bike too much anymore because I found out how much I love the Shark! But it was a blast to ride and always fund once in a while to hop on.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Had a stage 4 done on my 13. I got 25000 miles before the crank bearing went out. I would suggest get the crank reworked.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a stage 4 done on my 13. I got 25000 miles before the crank bearing went out. I would suggest get the crank reworked.
That's a little worrisome.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I put one in my 11 over the winter. Paid $2563 for the kit. Then another $100+ for a bigger air cleaner kit.

Runs like a tomcat with his balls on fire. But also started hard and pinged a lot.
Pulled the SE cams and installed S&S 585 EZ starts and a gear drive. Cured the hard start and made it ping less. But still need to run some booster in the fuel when temps are above 80.

I also did a set of S&S wheels and a Timken conversion along with an S&S cam plate and three stage pump. You can run what ever pump and plate floats your boat. But oem wheels and rods is going to be asking for trouble, IMHO.

With the SE cams it had more low end power. Would lift the front wheel at part throttle. The S&S cams are timed later so it is more mid to top end now.

I run a Tmax on it and its mapped to keep the fuel targeted at 13.9-14:1 below 1/3 throttle. Was looking to get 40mpg cruising, which it does. What I didn't plan on was it running 85+ at less than 1/4 throttle. Made a run on I81 last month, me and some rider on a King. We ran almost an hour and a half at over 80, and often 90 mph. Still got 200 miles on that tank, but the pipes were scary looking when I got home. Thing is it was only taking about a 1/4 twist to run that speed. When I looked at the maps, it was showing that the scooter was running with in 5% of the mapped targets.

Left pipe wasn't all that bad

Right pipe was real white

The right pipe has a full size cross over that uses a split spacer to make it fit the head pipe. And the split is open about a 1/4 inch. Guess I need to pull it apart and seal it up.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put one in my 11 over the winter. Paid $2563 for the kit. Then another $100+ for a bigger air cleaner kit.

Runs like a tomcat with his balls on fire. But also started hard and pinged a lot.
Pulled the SE cams and installed S&S 585 EZ starts and a gear drive. Cured the hard start and made it ping less. But still need to run some booster in the fuel when temps are above 80.

I also did a set of S&S wheels and a Timken conversion along with an S&S cam plate and three stage pump. You can run what ever pump and plate floats your boat. But oem wheels and rods is going to be asking for trouble, IMHO.

With the SE cams it had more low end power. Would lift the front wheel at part throttle. The S&S cams are timed later so it is more mid to top end now.

I run a Tmax on it and its mapped to keep the fuel targeted at 13.9-14:1 below 1/3 throttle. Was looking to get 40mpg cruising, which it does. What I didn't plan on was it running 85+ at less than 1/4 throttle. Made a run on I81 last month, me and some rider on a King. We ran almost an hour and a half at over 80, and often 90 mph. Still got 200 miles on that tank, but the pipes were scary looking when I got home. Thing is it was only taking about a 1/4 twist to run that speed. When I looked at the maps, it was showing that the scooter was running with in 5% of the mapped targets.

Left pipe wasn't all that bad

The right pipe has a full size cross over that uses a split spacer to make it fit the head pipe. And the split is open about a 1/4 inch. Guess I need to pull it apart and seal it up.
Yowza. Those pipes, particularly the right, is very lean. That would worry me about burning up pistons and heating up too much. In (car) racing circles, I've always heard lean is mean, but on air cooled bikes I thought a little fat was better. Just for separation, the next post will be an update on what is going on.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
**UPDATE**

So, as it works out, the "full" Stage 4 kit couldn't be had in time. I was told there was a 30-day lead time on receiving after ordering, and none of the other dealerships are letting loose of any they have in stock. Because I'm wanting to do the motor work, body work, and paint work before Sturgis, there just isn't enough time for waiting. I agreed to keep the motor a 103", install 10.5:1 pistons, ported and polished heads, the same cams from the Stage 4 kit, the 58mm throttle body (and air cleaner to fit), larger injectors, SE plugs, upgraded clutch kit, and new tune. I'm being told that I'll be above 105hp / 110tq. Honestly, if I'm above 100hp and close to 110tq I'll be happy.

I probably should start a build thread, but I've already installed the wrapped front fender and the extended side covers. Still waiting on the extended bags and back fender sides. I'm talking to a couple of air brush artist, but not sure yet if I will have enough time to get everything done. As close as I can tell, I'll be about $13k into this total rebuild. I've already done a lot to this bike and I really like it, so it's worth it to me versus trading for a CVO. Plus, it will be completely custom and all my ideas.

Reactions: Nutt2336

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
**UPDATE**

So, as it works out, the "full" Stage 4 kit couldn't be had in time. I was told there was a 30-day lead time on receiving after ordering, and none of the other dealerships are letting loose of any they have in stock. Because I'm wanting to do the motor work, body work, and paint work before Sturgis, there just isn't enough time for waiting. I agreed to keep the motor a 103", install 10.5:1 pistons, ported and polished heads, the same cams from the Stage 4 kit, the 58mm throttle body (and air cleaner to fit), larger injectors, SE plugs, upgraded clutch kit, and new tune. I'm being told that I'll be above 105hp / 110tq. Honestly, if I'm above 100hp and close to 110tq I'll be happy.

I probably should start a build thread, but I've already installed the wrapped front fender and the extended side covers. Still waiting on the extended bags and back fender sides. I'm talking to a couple of air brush artist, but not sure yet if I will have enough time to get everything done. As close as I can tell, I'll be about $13k into this total rebuild. I've already done a lot to this bike and I really like it, so it's worth it to me versus trading for a CVO. Plus, it will be completely custom and all my ideas.
You'll need to bump that intake valve up to a larger size in order to make use of the larger throttle body. And yes there is a 30 day wait on the kits. I'm told that's part of the MoCo's enforcement of the no tampering issue. But then most cnc head work takes about 30 days to turn around this time of year anyway.

Not sure about the 10:5 pistons on that 259 cam, its going to be real had to control the ping. Also not sure the 10.5's are a good idea on oem wheels. Be sure to gauge those rod bushings and check the specs on the crank and rod fit.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have the tire shredder kit on my 2011 Limited. In total cost me around $8,000 which included the tune and I replaced the front suspension as well at that time. That kit, a ThunderMax ECU, Supertrapp 2-1 and the High Performance A/C dyno tuned at 110hp/119tq. I will see if I can find the dyno tune sheet but those were the numbers. I didn't change the cams and just used the kit the way it was delivered.
I had it installed when I was in NC at Durham HD ( I believe is Raging Bull HD now) a few years ago. I don't ride the bike too much anymore because I found out how much I love the Shark! But it was a blast to ride and always fund once in a while to hop on.
You could buy a crate 124 from S&S or Frank for that kind of money and swap it out in a day and still have enough money to have it tuned.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

by spacer do you mean like a collar? pix?
did you dyno this bike?
would love to see the torque curve with that 585 in it

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
You could buy a crate 124 from S&S or Frank for that kind of money and swap it out in a day and still have enough money to have it tuned.
True, probably could have. That $8k included a lot more mods not including the Tire Shredder kit though. I did a suspension, exhaust, primary drive belt and few other things. Had it all done at Harley while I was floating on a ship somewhere on the other hemisphere. At the time, the reviews I read about anything over a 120 were that the reliability decreases and I ride at least 30k miles a year so I didn't want to take a chance (again, at the time).

Looking at the paperwork I paid around $2,200 for the Tire Shredder and $1,000 in labor for that installation totaling about $3,200 all in for that upgrade. With the Dyno tune it set me at $3,500. I know I saved money with the dealer because I bought the stuff on sale when they were running a special.

Now the 124......I am looking at putting one in my softail! I bet that is going to be a lot of fun!!!!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
by spacer do you mean like a collar? pix?
did you dyno this bike?
would love to see the torque curve with that 585 in it

Its a bushing sort of like this, but made of thicker material. Jackpot only makes the full flow crossover to fit their high flow x-pipes. The provide the bushing so you can use it on the regular size x-pipe.

Bike has never been on the dyno. Just flashed on a map and let it auto tune.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Its a bushing sort of like this, but made of thicker material. Jackpot only makes the full flow crossover to fit their high flow x-pipes. The provide the bushing so you can use it on the regular size x-pipe.
just curious: is there a reason you didn't use the high flow x-pipe?
is it a flow or reversion thing?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You'll need to bump that intake valve up to a larger size in order to make use of the larger throttle body. And yes there is a 30 day wait on the kits. I'm told that's part of the MoCo's enforcement of the no tampering issue. But then most cnc head work takes about 30 days to turn around this time of year anyway.

Not sure about the 10:5 pistons on that 259 cam, its going to be real had to control the ping. Also not sure the 10.5's are a good idea on oem wheels. Be sure to gauge those rod bushings and check the specs on the crank and rod fit.
What I'm getting is a complete H-D SE kit setup like this. the dealer is doing the install. Supposedly these kits are tested and setup to work together. Reckon time will tell whether it works together and how well it tunes out.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
just curious: is there a reason you didn't use the high flow x-pipe?
is it a flow or reversion thing?
Already had an x-pipe on it. Put it on back in 12 before there was a high flow pipe. And since I run butt plugs in the cans, it would just be a waste of money.

What I'm getting is a complete H-D SE kit setup like this. the dealer is doing the install. Supposedly these kits are tested and setup to work together. Reckon time will tell whether it works together and how well it tunes out.
This kit? https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/se-103-ci-performance-stage-4-kit

Just took a hour and ran through the fuel maps on the scooter. It was never leaner than 13.8 and very little rear cylinder trim adjustment. So I'm confident it just from running fast ant light throttle and the left pipe being able to draw a little air at the adapter. Might be some residue showing from the Lucas fuel booster too.

In the past, the left pipe always showed a little blacker than the right

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe that is the kit, but I haven't seen a part number from them. Also, they are installing larger injectors to go with it. They claim they have done this same setup on may other bikes with good results. He had a stack of dyno sheets with decent numbers (assuming these sheets were from similar builds as he said). I like to work on my own stuff, but I'm also not an H-D engine builder. They guy I'm working with has a decent reputation and at this point I feel like I can trust him. I hope I'm right. It's a lot of cash to spend.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts