Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be alot of pro's and con's. I have the PC-V now. Seems to work good. I'm doing a stage three, and wondering if I need to change.

W

·
0 Posts
I've had a PCIII on a stage III build for years and it works just fine. Not one bit of trouble.

·
Registered
185 Posts
everytime u make a change pipes cams and so on u need to dyno. i went through all that i finaly bought the thundermax TBW i dont have dyno any more the ecm learns on its own. right now i have true duals free flowing breather i down loaded the closet map and the bike runs great. my next move is cams when i do the cams i find the closes map and down load it and iam done. if wanna do a 110 motor i find the closes 110 map down load it and ride it as u ride the bike it will self tune to your specs. read the fuel moto write up how he said he installed one and he change the AFR s on purpose only for thew thundermax to adjust on its own. he put that bike on his dyno machine and it was very close to as if it were dynoed. jamie his self said he very impressed the new thundermax TBW. i bought and iam glad i did. they sell for pretty close to a $1000.00 bought mine from eastern performance for $800.00 shipped. best $800.00 i have ever spent.
Rick

·
Registered
185 Posts
You purchased your thundermax for that thats awesome could you post there contact info
www.easternperformance.com if i were u i would call them and ask them about the thundermax TBW and have your credit card ready you gonna love this thing it is awesome. good luck to ya
Rick

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the zippers married to the ecm? Can you buy a used one?

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so the thundermax is an ecm. So, you take your ecm out, and replace it with this?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ok, so the thundermax is an ecm. So, you take your ecm out, and replace it with this?
thats correct depending on your year bike if u have a 2010 or 2011 u have the small 11mm 02 sensors. thundermax requires wide band 02 sensors which are 18 mm so will have to weld the bigger ones on your head pipes.in order for the thundermax to work on your bike. if have a 08 to 09 you wont have to anything but install it very simple to do. u will not be disappointed if u buy it.
Rick

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate everyone's input. So, by some of the responses. zippers is the best?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I appreciate everyone's input. So, by some of the responses. zippers is the best?
IMHO yes i feel that is cuz u dont have to spend anymore money on dynos.

W

·
0 Posts
Seems to be alot of pro's and con's. I have the PC-V now. Seems to work good. I'm doing a stage three, and wondering if I need to change.
My final question for you would be, if your doing a Stage III then you are probably stopping at that point. Compared to the price of a T Max, other changes necessary and Dyno time, what would be cheaper and fit the bill for you???

I've been fortunate that I have friends in the business so I haven' had to pay a lot of extra money on Dyno time after my various stage builds. My Deuce is Stage III with a PCIII, my RK is Stage III with a TFI which is great because I can adjust it like a carb and have done so on trips.

My new 11 RGU Stage II is having a SE Pro Race Tuner with Smart Tune installed on it and it doesn't need any dyno time. I'll get to see how it really runs sometime next year when the snow is gone. Eventually, I'll probably do a Stage III on it and then the smart tune will take over again.

In other words, to each his own and there you have my .02..

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My final question for you would be, if your doing a Stage III then you are probably stopping at that point. Compared to the price of a T Max, other changes necessary and Dyno time, what would be cheaper and fit the bill for you???

I've been fortunate that I have friends in the business so I haven' had to pay a lot of extra money on Dyno time after my various stage builds. My Deuce is Stage III with a PCIII, my RK is Stage III with a TFI which is great because I can adjust it like a carb and have done so on trips.

My new 11 RGU Stage II is having a SE Pro Race Tuner with Smart Tune installed on it and it doesn't need any dyno time. I'll get to see how it really runs sometime next year when the snow is gone. Eventually, I'll probably do a Stage III on it and then the smart tune will take over again.

In other words, to each his own and there you have my .02..

Good luck with whatever you decide.
my whole reason was to not get my bike beat up anymore cuz thats what a dyno does so to speak. i had a 09 SG 103 that i built i spent well over a thousand bucks on dynos to get the bike to perform right. let alone the money i spent buying all my parts. and a pro tuner so to me its cheaper for me to buy the tmax and do my ugrades with out ever having to dyno any more. and yes youe are lucky to have someone that does dynos for u whos a friend. most of us are not so lucky to have a friend that u have with a dyno. all i can say to is this the tmax was a good buy for me my bike runs perfect no more heat issues no decel popping better throttle respones and easy to do. thats my 2 cents.
Rick

W

·
0 Posts
my whole reason was to not get my bike beat up anymore cuz thats what a dyno does so to speak. i had a 09 SG 103 that i built i spent well over a thousand bucks on dynos to get the bike to perform right. let alone the money i spent buying all my parts. and a pro tuner so to me its cheaper for me to buy the tmax and do my ugrades with out ever having to dyno any more. and yes youe are lucky to have someone that does dynos for u whos a friend. most of us are not so lucky to have a friend that u have with a dyno. all i can say to is this the tmax was a good buy for me my bike runs perfect no more heat issues no decel popping better throttle respones and easy to do. thats my 2 cents.
Rick
I understand you 100% on your decision. That was another reson I went with the SE Pro Tuner with smart tune. I'm not as picky as I used to be and that must be my old age.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I understand you 100% on your decision. That was another reson I went with the SE Pro Tuner with smart tune. I'm not as picky as I used to be and that must be my old age.
so true about the age iam 57 i want simplicity

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Question

PC V can be up dated at any time? and if you install the whole 9 yards it will adjust it's self as long as you give it a starting point when you first map it?
This was the reason I went with them to begin with.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I replaced the M&M EFI and SERT with the Thudermax set up on my 2001 SERG. The "stock" 1550 motor has not been stock for a long time. Wild Things gear cams, roller rockers, rineheart true duals and more. Anyway, the Thuindermax was a relatively easy install and it runs like a striped azz ape. It just makes so much sense to me.

An '01 Harley that pulls like a train. I highly recommend it. Everything just works. The throttel body, for example, fits better than stock.

I know I'm a little off topic hear but wanted to weigh in that Zippers/Thundermax is the real deal IMHO.

·
Registered
185 Posts
PC V can be up dated at any time? and if you install the whole 9 yards it will adjust it's self as long as you give it a starting point when you first map it?
This was the reason I went with them to begin with.
iam sure thats true but you can do the same with TMax and its not a piggy back either.its a ECM. i have had power commanders,sert,sest, i got best results with my tmax and it is so simple to adjust timing, AFRs,revlimiter,calbrate your speedo and adjust your idle.
Rick

·
Registered
185 Posts
I replaced the M&M EFI and SERT with the Thudermax set up on my 2001 SERG. The "stock" 1550 motor has not been stock for a long time. Wild Things gear cams, roller rockers, rineheart true duals and more. Anyway, the Thuindermax was a relatively easy install and it runs like a striped azz ape. It just makes so much sense to me.

An '01 Harley that pulls like a train. I highly recommend it. Everything just works. The throttel body, for example, fits better than stock.

I know I'm a little off topic hear but wanted to weigh in that Zippers/Thundermax is the real deal IMHO.
i have a question for ya how do you like the wildthing cams been looking at them as well as the woods 555s

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, now I'm thinking hey maybe just put on a Thundermax and forget it. I have true duals and hi flo airfiliter. Maybe put the PC-V up for sale, and do a stage II or III when ever. Baggers magazine has a good aritcle about putting a Thundermax on the bike, hi flo airfilter, and true duals, gained about 20hr and 20 torq.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts