Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to replace riding glasses soon, and I like the idea of the PPZ lenses (like polarized but don't distort) that adjust to light levels. I've read some of the recent threads on this but none exactly answer what I'm wondering.

Have any of you used these HD WileyX's PPZ lenses in photochromic - and what do you think of them? Are they really light and dark enough and change ok?

Thanks in advance!

Ron

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I can't speak to the HD Wiley x's but I did just get a pair of the Wiley x Jake's from my local Meijer grocery store optical department with the photo-chromatic lenses ( for just over $240.00)and have to say the clarity is fantastic! they get dark enough to reduce the glare and I have no problems seeing either the gauges, my GPS (Garmin) or my Samsung galaxy s3 smart phone screen. Absolutely zero distortion like with polarized lenses. Also use them for riding at night since I work from 11a-11p. and they get crystal clear when the sun goes down. my only gripe is that the frame I chose (Jake) isn't adjustable except for the temple pieces which have to be heated and adjusted by bending, and the frames sit a little close to my eyes unless I keep the "climate control" inner soft frame on. They fit very well with the inner frame but look dorky off the bike. Without the inner frame, they look better but sit a little close to the face. Guess I just have to get used to the fit. Overall I'd give the lenses a 10 out of 10 and the frames a 7 out of ten with an overall score of 8.5.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - good info. I'm more interested in the clearness and still want decent darkening. I've gotten so I feel like I don't see as well with my darkest glasses on, so don't have to get totally dark.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unless something has changed recently, the PPZ's aren't offered with the light adjusting option. I checked with Wiley's customer service about 6 weeks ago and they said that combination wasn't available.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you're interested in light adjusting glasses, take a serious look at Rudy project glasses. I have the Rydon and I LOVE THEM!!!! they get REALLY dark and are super comfortable. There are videos on Youtube of the lenses. The main problem I had with Wiley X was that they didnt get dark enough. They also were heavy and the lenses scrathed easily. Rudy project glasses are so comfortable you forget you're wearing them and they also have MANY MANY choices of lenses and are easily swappable...It's worth a look. They are not cheap but in my eyes, they were totally worth it...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love my HD Wiley X. I think they are the best sunglasses I have ever owned, LOL.

They are not too dark and light enough to see everything anywhere, including inside building. I would say its not dark enough to see directly into the sun, LOL.

When its dusk and its getting darker, I still see just fine like nothing really changed. I would buy it again. I may get set for my wife with RX prescription lenses, that easily doubles the cost :(

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've been using the WileyX Jake light adjusting for years and love them. They work great in dark/sun. The "climent control" gasket works perfect if you ware contacts.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roadboy, you're right! My dealer told me wrong. I checked the brochure closer & the website, PPZ & light adjusting combo not an option. Makes me rethink what I want to do. Wanted both - not sure which is more important to me. . . . . . Guess I'll look at them & see what impresses the most. Not one of life's biggest decisions :)

Thanks all!

Ron

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a set of the echo ppz grey silver flash. Got them because of the ppz and darkness rating. I have light sensitive eyes. They are prob the best glasses I have ever owned. Dark and very very crisp!! BUT the coating is on the outside of the lens and on my trip to Sturgis last summer I scratched them WITH the enclosed cleaning cloth. Something was on the lens. BUT( ha) WileyX replaced free. You can sorta feel the coating so just be carefull when you clean. Wet them first or something. I do love them though!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts