Road Glide banner

81 - 100 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
First toe in the pool.
I loved my GS/A, and had it not been for the ungodly amount of oil it burned, I'd still have it. No motorcycle has ever put a smile on my face like that one did. The PA is lighter, has more power and torque, won't sound like a farm tractor, and has a far, far better dealer network/service environment. The P&A prices aren't out of line, and those are good SW-Motech cases.

I'm all about this thing. Wish I could pick one up tomorrow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Look for Rox risers to come into play, great product. If you guys plan on doing more off-road riding look at soft bags for touring. Start looking at BDR maps. Moscomoto?sp. has great products. Metal panniers can eat up legs if you/when you go down. Hopefully Black Dog and AltRider get involved. Also, gravel map.com good site for possible day ride off the beaten path.
Rex

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,962 Posts
I could see having one of these if it all pans out. But not for what it is intended. I have beaten the heck out of this body. Mostly for good reason. No regrets. I am being warned to knock it off by doctor.
But it could make a great road bike and in the just over 500 pound range it would be attractive .
Smitty, ya gotta stop doing those cornfield get-off stunts, leave that for the young guys! I haven't watched the video yet, do they give seat height in their site? I guess we'll have to wait several months to find out much more about the effectiveness of the motor (what's the torque curve look like?), and I'd expect the suspension to be biased towards the asphalt, but we'll have to see. On the surface, I agree with you that this might just end up being a darned good Sport Touring/Lite Touring bike.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Smitty, ya gotta stop doing those cornfield get-off stunts, leave that for the young guys! I haven't watched the video yet, do they give seat height in their site? I guess we'll have to wait several months to find out much more about the effectiveness of the motor (what's the torque curve look like?), and I'd expect the suspension to be biased towards the asphalt, but we'll have to see. On the surface, I agree with you that this might just end up being a darned good Sport Touring/Lite Touring bike.
If I decide to get one . My RG limited is staying no madder what. I will also wait until HD wakes up and supplies a few more to dealers. You can see what they are up to now.
It will be a one up bike like BMW's .

·
8,962 Posts
Look for Rox risers to come into play, great product. If you guys plan on doing more off-road riding look at soft bags for touring. Start looking at BDR maps. Moscomoto?sp. has great products. Metal panniers can eat up legs if you/when you go down. Hopefully Black Dog and AltRider get involved. Also, gravel map.com good site for possible day ride off the beaten path.
Rex
I never understood the whole thing with the metal panniers/bags. They are well known to be leg breakers in relatively mild get-offs. Somehow the metal panniers and TP became the iconic 'look' of an AT bike so the marketing depts. of all the manufacturers followed (and continue to follow) along. The MoCo could have really changed that by offering heavy duty soft bags and trunk AND explain in their advertising WHY they did that. Just once you'd like to see HD introduce something new first and not always be one of the last to market. Their going forward look into the future seems to always be into a mirror.

·
8,962 Posts
They knocked it out of the park. 560 pounds, 150hp, $20,000.

Take my money Harley!
So just how many Benjamns over MSRP do you figure it'll cost? You know that demand will be high (unless impartial reviews kill it) and supply will be short. It's the 80s/90s all over again! (for this one model)

Reactions: Bruce00 and RGKen

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I never understood the whole thing with the metal panniers/bags. They are well known to be leg breakers in relatively mild get-offs. Somehow the metal panniers and TP became the iconic 'look' of an AT bike so the marketing depts. of all the manufacturers followed (and continue to follow) along. The MoCo could have really changed that by offering heavy duty soft bags and trunk AND explain in their advertising WHY they did that. Just once you'd like to see HD introduce something new first and not always be one of the last to market. Their going forward look into the future seems to always be into a mirror.
First off, you are supposed to take those metal boxes off before venturing onto technical trails. Second, watch the video. HD came out with 3 styles of bags ranging from the boxes to soft bags. They all look really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,576 Posts
I never understood the whole thing with the metal panniers/bags. They are well known to be leg breakers in relatively mild get-offs. Somehow the metal panniers and TP became the iconic 'look' of an AT bike so the marketing depts. of all the manufacturers followed (and continue to follow) along.
I have met a few riders that have circled the globe and they all preferred metal bags. They would protect cameras and computers in a spill, were usually better waterproofing, and could be stacked/carted easily when they needed to bring them inside when at a sketchy area.

·
8,962 Posts
I stand corrected on the hard bag issue as I had fully admitted that I hadn't had an opportunity yet to watch the video and the only bags I had seen to date were hard aluminum panniers. I have no idea how you define technical trails, but 99.9% of these bikes won't get ridden on anything more difficult than a gravel road, fire road, or wilderness access road. I don't know of any experienced rider who would take a 600 pound bike on anything I'd call a technical trail. Technical trails are for enduro or trials bike riders in my mind.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
So just how many Benjamns over MSRP do you figure it'll cost? You know that demand will be high (unless impartial reviews kill it) and supply will be short. It's the 80s/90s all over again! (for this one model)
Zero for me. I won't pay a premium, and never understood anyone willing to. Yes, there are certain things I may never own, but that doesn't bother me. What allows me to fall asleep at night is knowing I could lose my job and not have to sell anything to eat.

·
8,962 Posts
I have met a few riders that have circled the globe and they all preferred metal bags. They would protect cameras and computers in a spill, were usually better waterproofing, and could be stacked/carted easily when they needed to bring them inside when at a sketchy area.
...at least the ones who hadn't gone down and had a hard pannnier snap their leg like a toothpick! I have no skin in this game as I'll likely never own one of this category of bikes, but it's well known that hard panniers break significantly more legs than riding without bags or with softbags. Again, I guess it depends where they're being ridden and how hard.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
A reasonable 31.1" when laden. The high end model has a feature that lowers the bike as you come to a stop.

The programmable suspension is awesome sounding.

Might have to trade the road glide in a couple years if this bike pans out to be a winner. That way I can have comfort for my back without having to sell all my Harley stuff. LOL!

They do have a cast wheel option for those who know they are 95 percent road riders.

·
8,962 Posts
Zero for me. I won't pay a premium, and never understood anyone willing to. Yes, there are certain things I may never own, but that doesn't bother me. What allows me to fall asleep at night is knowing I could lose my job and not have to sell anything to eat.
+1 I couldn't agree more. Not be willing to pay more than MSRP, or not being willing to be forced to buy a bike with $2,500. of P&A stuff on it that I had no interest in, is the single reason it took me 10-15 years longer to buy my first HD than it could have. There's plenty of gross profit margin when selling at MSRP. I'd add that I've never come close to paying full MSRP for any vehicle I've owned. There's nothing outside a "numbers" Ferrari that I'd even consider paying over MSRP for.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Hard bags are the shiznit for touring. They lock. They don't destroy your stuff when the bike goes over. They're waterproof. You can stack and strap stuff to them. They only become a liability when you're out in the ick.

I won't pay a premium. I've bought multiple bikes from my dealer, and the worst I'll do is pay MSRP.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
...at least the ones who hadn't gone down and had a hard pannnier snap their leg like a toothpick! I have no skin in this game as I'll likely never own one of this category of bikes, but it's well known that hard panniers break more legs than riding without bags or with softbags. Again, I guess it depends where they're being ridden and how hard.
With the hard bags you have to be willing to let the bike go and bail. If you throw a stiff leg down trying to save it, then bad things happen. Watch the Long Way Round to see some bail outs.

81 - 100 of 164 Posts