Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently (2 months ago) bought a 2013 Road Glide Ultra, with 7,200 miles on it. Great bike. Love it, and a huge step up from my 2004 FLHRCI.

I had the bike in at my local dealer, swapping some parts out. They told me my head bearing was loose. They told me I could leave it to fix later, but it would cause some wobble in the steer at low speeds (below 45 MPH). I had already noticed an occasional wobble a few times at lower speeds.

Should a bike that is 1 ½ years old, with less than 8K miles, have this problem?

Thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Common issue on the RG from 2009 to 2013. Just adjusted as per manual instructions and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Should a bike that is 1 ½ years old, with less than 8K miles, have this problem?

Brand new bikes with near zero miles have this problem. Many bikes seem to come up with loose neck bearings very early in life. The MoCo apparently doesn't have any engineers that know how to set preload so it stays put for more than a few miles.
My '11 RGU was loose, when I went to adjust it the nut that sets the preload was not even finger tight(if you could have reached it with your fingers). The fall-away was WAY off, front wheel flopped like a flag in the wind.

Anyway, get it adjusted and greased, it'll be fine from there on most likely.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I never had a problem with my '04 RK. Just seems premature to me. Hope it'll late more than another 8,000 miles.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yep MOCO missed this one.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Had the issue at 42 miles on my brand new 2013 Fltrx. It about put me in the ditch. Needless to say I fixed the problem by cutting the neck and running a 26" front wheel. No more trips to the dealer. Lol. But yes mine were very loose from the factory. Pulled both hands off of the handlebars to zip up my pockets and it shook back and forth. It was crazy.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mine had the problem also. AAANNNDDD the stealer had the audacity to charge me to adjust it!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Had mine adjusted too. Per the dealer it's a normal maintenance item but HD does allow them to adjust it once under warranty.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I fashioned a little tool out of .060 aluminum stock when I needed my 11'' RGC adjusted the first time. Now I just check it every time I do my 5k.
Probably adjusted 3 times in 38k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Head Bearing Adjustment

My 2012 RoadGlide had the same problem....MoCo would do nothing about the problem. By specification, this is supposed to be checked at the 1000 and 10,000 mile checkup. Just one other issue that HD would rather blame on the customer, than accept responsibility.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Mine was adusted at 2K under warranty , still good at 27 K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts