Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2010 Stage 4 103 - wanting to switch from 2 into 1 back to a dual setup. Do I need to pay big bucks for an aftermarket head pipe? What are the issues with finding a used stock decatted headpipe for 1/4 the cost and using that? (I don't have the original stock headpipe anymore). Looking to go with Cobra slip ons....

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have a stock decatted head pipe that will work for you....boxed and ready to ship....PM me

You have better performance now than you would with what you are going to... FYI.....

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I've got a 2010 Stage 4 103 - wanting to switch from 2 into 1 back to a dual setup. Do I need to pay big bucks for an aftermarket head pipe? What are the issues with finding a used stock decatted headpipe for 1/4 the cost and using that? (I don't have the original stock headpipe anymore). Looking to go with Cobra slip ons....
Buy a D&D 2/1/2 head pipe. De-catting a stock headpiece will cause crosstalk on the oxygen sensors and cause improper AFR's and could cause some issues with running lean and cause problems. I know, people on here are going to say it's ok to do it. In real world test on the dyno, it shows exactly what I'm talking about. Do the stock head pipes flow good. Yes, they are not bad. If you could move the bungs up the pipe toward the heads where they wouldn't cross talk, they would be fine.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Smarty makes a point... a good point. They work, good.... but not great. 2-1-2 is a better choice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
If you can find one. Get an oem headpipe from a 2009 touring model. These are cat free(except for the cvo's) and the bungs are located up by the cylinders. An 09 cvo pipe would be good if the cat was removed.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I run a fullsac sportpipe and have no issues with sensors or fit, the thing works great, its a 2 into 1 into 2. they also have the next step up the dx pipe.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yep, that's the one I mentioned just never knew it was a 2-1-2. Their description is deceiving when they say 2:2, because it's how true duals are described. I get X pipe, but the picture of the "collector" looks more like a true dual pipe that's been welded together. They don't show the other side of the pipe. Other manufacturers with that style, Reinhardt Slimline Duals, V&H Bigshots, and Dragos, call it an H-pipe which is kinda what their "collector" looks like from the other side, as opposed to Fuel Moto or Fulsac where the pipe actually collects into an X. I'm still wondering what the backside of D&D's pipe looks like. Anyway, thanks for the info, and good luck to the OP choosing a system. Tough call, and spendy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I run a fullsac sportpipe and have no issues with sensors or fit, the thing works great, its a 2 into 1 into 2. they also have the next step up the dx pipe.
I'd never drop from the performance of a 2-1 to duals. But if I were to do that. The Fullsac DX pipe is what I'd buy with a srage 4.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I'd never drop from the performance of a 2-1 to duals. But if I were to do that. The Fullsac DX pipe is what I'd buy with a srage 4.
Correct, if i had to do it again i would go fullsac dx pipe, i have the sportpipe and must say it works incredibly well.:grin:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I took stock exhaust and had the cat cut out and the bungs re welded just further up to stop the cross talk. Cost me $60.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yep, that's the one I mentioned just never knew it was a 2-1-2. Their description is deceiving when they say 2:2, because it's how true duals are described. I get X pipe, but the picture of the "collector" looks more like a true dual pipe that's been welded together. They don't show the other side of the pipe. Other manufacturers with that style, Reinhardt Slimline Duals, V&H Bigshots, and Dragos, call it an H-pipe which is kinda what their "collector" looks like from the other side, as opposed to Fuel Moto or Fulsac where the pipe actually collects into an X. I'm still wondering what the backside of D&D's pipe looks like. Anyway, thanks for the info, and good luck to the OP choosing a system. Tough call, and spendy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The link Smarty posted shows the back side of the pipe. Look at the bottom left picture in the choice of pics. It's the one of the black pipe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fullsac

I ran a decatted stock headpipe with VH Monster rounds and an FP3 tuner on a stock 2015 FLTRX for about 6 months and was pretty happy with it as it was much better than stock. Then I read a conversation with noted tuner Doc Weaver and he said the same thing as Smarty about the crosstalk. He said that until about 3000 rpm there wasn't enough pressure to prevent the crosstalk. He liked the Fullsac pipe so I bought one and WOW what a difference. This bike is now smooth and pulls well from 2000 rpm. It even runs better above 3k but the biggest was below there. I had no idea how shitty it was running down low. I would not even attempt a decatted pipe without moving the bungs as said above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Modified stock exhaust

I was looking into getting true duals for my bagger when my (welding) buddy (and Harley builder) told me of a different solution. To relieve the excessive heat generated from the catalytic converter we remove the exhaust system and got rid of the converter. We took a 4' spike and punched out the slip on's too. I also installed a Roland Sands "Clarity" intake at that time. All went back together and no more heat issues. Gotta get it dyno'd as the lean mixture leaves something to be desired in 5th and 6th gears but it works great. My buddy also mentioned that the stock pipes will give you the back pressure that the aftermarket pipes may not. I'm not looking to race, just want maximum horses / torque while putting around. This option also didn't make the bike any louder - and out here in Cali, who knows how far they'll go making laws on bikes....my pipes look stock.....fucking Arnold!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Buy a D&D 2/1/2 head pipe. De-catting a stock headpiece will cause crosstalk on the oxygen sensors and cause improper AFR's and could cause some issues with running lean and cause problems. I know, people on here are going to say it's ok to do it. In real world test on the dyno, it shows exactly what I'm talking about. Do the stock head pipes flow good. Yes, they are not bad. If you could move the bungs up the pipe toward the heads where they wouldn't cross talk, they would be fine.
We put a Decatted head pipe on my brother in laws 14 FLTX and have been having problems with the way it runs. I recently talked to a Dyno tech and he said the same thing you are saying Smarty.

We will be changing the head pipe out this spring.:smile:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts