Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,720 Posts
Sounds interesting. I'm guessing that the older bikes will likely be cafe racer oriented, and the newer ones more towards dual sport / adventure touring. That black and white paint scheme is killer! Are the horizontal pieces on each side of the gas tank painted white, or are they unpainted aluminum?

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds interesting. I'm guessing that the older bikes will likely be cafe racer oriented, and the newer ones more towards dual sport / adventure touring. That black and white paint scheme is killer! Are the horizontal pieces on each side of the gas tank painted white, or are they unpainted aluminum?
A few older cruiser styles also.

the white on the bike is a bright white. The black is light metallic.

These guys mostly camp and don’t pick a place near hotels so I am trying the tent thing. Got down in the 40s last night. Sucks when you have to get up 2 times during the night.

I thought I was doing good tucking in my tent behind the pavilion, until the flood light came on last night.
Plant Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Wheel
Plant Land vehicle Property Vehicle Tree

I moved it this evening.

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This particular bike was running an engine that powered the Hunter UAV. Yes, the US Army used a Moto Guzzi engine in the Hunter. I worked on that program in the mid 90s.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas

·
Premium Member
22 Road Glide
283 Posts
Really been enjoying your pictures, got any stories to go with?
What about rides? Ya’ll hit the twistys and roads? Hills and hollers?

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Really been enjoying your pictures, got any stories to go with?
What about rides? Ya’ll hit the twistys and roads? Hills and hollers?
I plotted a backroad route to the campground on the Kentucky river north of Frankfort, KY that was about 320 miles and 7 hours of riding.
I grabbed my wife’s old phone, downloaded the route and offline maps, and set it on the bike the evening before

I don’t yet have a GPS on the V85TT because I don’t want to spend the crazy money folks are asking for motorcycle docks for my 7 year old Garmin 660, and am waiting for a sale on the Zumo XT or a new model since the XT has been around a while now.
Anyway, I get on the bike Thursday morning and the phone is dead. The USB started charging it so I decided to head out and let it charge since it would be an hour or more before I vary off the roads I know well.
I still haven’t learned my speedometer offset yet and had a county sheriff’s deputy following me for 30 miles. I think he was heading home after working the night shift. Without my GPS I didn’t know how fast I could safely go before giving him no choice, but to pull me over. I also didn’t want to slow down a guy wanting to get home to his loved ones. I decided to run 10 over the speed limit indicated and if the speedometer was 5 percent optimistic I was going 7 over. No ticket!
With the distance, time, and cold front I was going to hit, I didn’t stop for as many photos as I usually would.
I took my first break along center hill lake. Had a snack, drink, and walked around a little.
Plant Tree Wood Natural landscape Trunk
Water Sky Tire Cloud Wheel

My route took me through Burkesville, KY which is the location of the European Riders Rally every May. Have yet to attend, but wanted to see the town along the Cumberland River.
There is this old alpine hotel overlooking the town and the steep winding road was fun to ride up and down.
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Plant
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Sky
Cloud Sky Tree Land lot Building

Someone must have been hitting the shine when they hung the sign.
Cloud Plant Sky Tire Motor vehicle

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,720 Posts
So how many bikes would you guess are there for this event? I'm always surprised to see how many clapped-out, worn-out, beat to crap old 850 El Dorado former police bikes are still out there chugging along. I came close to buying a V-10 Centauro a few years back. I always liked the looks of their cafe style bikes, but the distance from seat to pegs was way too short for my bad knees. Enjoy the rest of the event.

Reactions: twowheeladdict

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Have you seen many of the Norge's? I had thought about getting one of those, at one time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts