Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having to postpone this trip last year, because of the eastern hurricane that came up the east coast and into Vermont and NH last year, the wife and I are heading out Monday the 16th. Starting at Kittery and heading north on route 1. After we make our way up the coast headed to NH to the Kanc,and Mt. Washington and then through to Vermont. Any have to see points of interest? Any "Lobsta" pounds that could use need another taste tester?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Can't go wrong with any of those coastal towns on route 1. I just got back yesterday from a long trip that followed route 1 out of Canada, stopping at a nice B&B in Blue Hill Maine, Blue Hill Inn...very nice place to end a day! But, I understand how it has to line up with your trip. Safe travels!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Bob's clam hut in Kittery is a worthy "dive" and was featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives". Pretty good eats. Also, Acadia National Park would be worth a visit...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob's clam hut in Kittery is a worthy "dive" and was featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives". Pretty good eats. Also, Acadia National Park would be worth a visit...
Yes, We do have Bobs in the schedule.Saw the video and pumped to go. Thinking about Booth Bay and Searsport. Hoping to go the the park. Not sure about Bar Harbor yet? pretty touristy? Thanks.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Bugs are cheap this summer for softshells, couple bucks a lb to the boats.
Restaurants are slow to reflect the pricing though..

Swing out to Pemaquid Point Light when you come thru Damariscotta on US1, then go to Shaws Lobster wharf in New Harbor. You'll get the whole experience. Pretty harbor, lobster boats, bait smell, traps, all of it.
Take 32 up to Waldoboro and p/u 1 there. Moody's Dinah right there on 1 also.

Boothbay will be wicked busy this time of year, but almost everywhere on 1 will be all the way to Bar Harbor now. Bar Harbor itself will be busy, but stay on the "backside" around Bass Barbor and N.E Harbor, not as touristy.
Acadia Park ok to get around in. You can get up Cadillac Mtn with no fee, but you have to pay to go around the loop road. Bass Harbor light is right there, thats the one on the quarters.

Not much in Searsport to see, Penobsot Marine Museum maybe, and flea markets. Camden/Rockport are nice. Swing down to the waterfront in Camden
big parking lot, and the harbor usually full of boats and windjammers.

I got pics, but I'm at work. post up some later if you want.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Brown's lobster pound or Markey's (across the street) on Rt 286 on the Mass/NH border. Both are outstanding lobster & seafood, Brown's serves alcohol and markey's is byob. Then you can ride Rt1A up along the coast from there. a very scenic & winding 15 mile ride into Portsmouth, NH then back on 95 or stay on Rt1 or 1A into Maine.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Everyone has made great suggestions but youll need to watch out for black flys. Not sure when they are in full swing but those bugs are a PITA. Just alil fyi :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Any place that serves lobster rolls.
Even Mickey D's serves lobster rolls up there! :)

Hit up LL Bean if you have never been there.

Be careful at night...the mice are 6 feet tall, 1000 lbs, dark and KNOW they have the right of way. Damn locals! :)

It is tough going East to West through NH and Maine, roads tend to run mostly N-S.

Ride to the top of Mt Washington and get a pic of the Glide up there if you have time and want an e-ticket descent.
Vermont is just built for riding, nary a straight or horizontal road in the state. Can't go wrong almost anywhere there. Set some time aside to stop by any mountain stream you come across for a break here and there.

I will be riding up there from SoFLo the week after you.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Or just come to the cornbelt instead and join us for Shark Week II. We'd love to have you.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Another thought, if you get up near Cutler, cross the bridge to Campobello Island (Canada - so you'll more than likely need your passport). I have fond memories of weekend camping/fishing/clamming trips there when I was a kid. FDR's summer "cottage" is there. Pretty cool as I now live 10 minutes from his "Little White House" in Warm Springs GA.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or just come to the cornbelt instead and join us for Shark Week II. We'd love to have you.
Appreciate all the input. I would love to come to Shark Week. Had a good time last year. I had reservations and had to cancel. My nieces graduation party on Sat. night. 200 people, band, fire works and such. I wound not be able to leave till Monday AM. So i would miss half of it by the time I get there. Maybe next year, hoping to go to Colorado and mix in a time for shark week 3. Have a funny feeling that its going to be on the west coast ??????? We will see what the attendees come up with next week! I hope that all have a great and safe time.

·
Registered
816 Posts
likely need your passport
Yeah, you need it. Went up to Lubec, Quoddy Head light and the easternmost marker in the US last summer. Checked before we went over the bridge and were told we had to have it to come back in to the US.

Island with one bridge on and off, 40 degree water and 20 ft + tides twice a day, but you need a passport to come back over the bridge...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Check out Ogunquit.. A very cool area with about 3 miles of beach.. If you like walking the beach of course! Beers cold too.. Beautiful spot.

·
Registered
350 Posts
bentleys saloon

in arundel! check it out at bentleys.com! great set up, bar, campground, cabins,2 bands a day on the weekends, pigroast every sat or sunday! if ur into wildlife check out gray wildlife sanctuary on rt26. u'll be able to check out moose, bear, deer and other animals in a semi natural envirement! cheap to! seems like a lot of non mainers are interested in moose, where we see them quite often its not such a big thing for us! believe me when i say huge, 8 to 10 ft tall! old port in portland is really cool, lots of stores, bars and eateries!ll bean in freeport is a popular tourist destination, open 24 hours a day 365 days aweek! if you really want to check out "downeast maine" dont for get bar harbor, right up rt1!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts