Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm finally heading out in the morning on my solo run. I wanted to leave two weeks ago but due to circumstance and some rethinkin' am leaving tomorrow. Funny thing is I still haven't decided for sure which way I'm goin'. I have a couple of idea's. I stopped by AAA today and picked up maps of 14 states. Guess I'll figure it out when I get to the end of the driveway :)

I don't have as long as originally planned but I have 7 days to wander around, thinkin' of headin' west.....

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
Have fun and be safe, I envy you.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Enjoy and Safe ride..

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
Enjoy your time out there on the road my friend. I cant wait to hear where you ended up!

·
Registered
958 Posts
May the Shark be with you.....:D

Have fun - be safe......

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I always keep a half dollar in the wallet just for that reason. Not sure which way to go or out riding to get lost for awhile ill flip it to decide to go left or right. Have a great time and stay safe out there.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well back a day early. Didn't go exactly as I'd hoped and didn't get as many miles as I thought but I had a good time. The first day as I finished loading my bike electric Larry called and asked if I was going to the Gap(my original plan to start). I said I don't know there's a 50% chance of rain and he said yeah but there's a 50% chance it won't. I was thinking of the reasons why I did and didn't wanna do it when the new HOG magazine arrived with an article about the Dragontail and the area in it so I figured it was a sign and went. A pretty big group went and we didn't get out of town till 1pm. Leaving town I passed a couple motorcades headed to the track. Wondered who it was, could have been the Governor or George Clooney..who knows but it was Kentucky Oats day in Kentucky the second biggest day on the Eve of the Kentucky Derby.

It looked like rain when we left Louisville but on the way to Maryville where we stayed the night, the weather was perfect. In fact everyone got sun burned on the way down. Meanwhile back in Louisville they had to evacuate Churchill Downs that afternoon due to heavy thunderstorms, hail etc.

The next morning the storm that had passed through Louisville went southeast and got to Maryville. The morning looked like a washout but after raining just an hour the weather hit the Smokies and broke up. The rest of the day was weather perfect.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heading up into the mountains the plan was to ride Foothills Parkway, Moonshiner 28 to the Cerahola Skyway. A great loop about 170 miles. The mountain air though effects different people different ways and right our of the box at the first stop something crazy happened....Rob popped the big question

Vicki said yes after Rob reminded her it was a 300 mile walk home, truthfully I think she figured he'd jump if she said no....

Great couple.

then we rode on up to the Dragontail stopping at the first pull off....

there were a couple small groups at the Gap that weekend as well..Corvettes, Audi's, the 13 annual Eastern 2 stroke guys were there with their Yamaha's, Honda's Kawi's but the biggest group were the Mini's. Talking to them they said there were over 750 of them there....some of them pretty sweet....

didn't look 43k sweet for the coup but sweet nontheless.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
....we continued on and road the Dragontail and stopped at the Deals Gap resort.

tree of shame....

parts from guys bikes that have screwed up or worse, in fact a guy was missing Friday riding a, I think, a Yamaha 150 or something....say what you will about the Dragontail but you need to respect it. You can see some of the two-stroke guys bikes in the background

leaving there rode the Monnshiner then over to the Skyway....

rode all the way across the Skyway and didn't stop. I couldn't figure out why we didn't stop at the highest point of the Skyway which is over 5k feet....we did stop at the other end though

After that we headed back to the Shed for a concert that night.....which most of us tired didn't go to. We ended up grabbing some chairs and alcohol ala SW and sat around and shot the sh#t.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts