Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put together a little ride route that is hopefully curvy AND shady. Going to camp one night which is why the big green bag is on the pillion seat. It contains my 3” memory foam, Coleman inflatable twin mattress, my sleeping bag, and tent poles.

Tent is in one saddlebag, while 2 pillows are in the other. The rest in the top case.

Here is my general route Day one. Sticking to the hilliest terrain.
Map Ecoregion Line Parallel Electric blue

Day 2
Ecoregion Map Line Screenshot Parallel

The last time I slept on the ground didn’t go very well, so here’s hoping for a pain free restful night.

Did a 30 mile test ride today to see how it feels.
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

I don’t have GPS mounted yet. I exhausted my Garmin Zumo 660 mounts and the few stores that have them want double since they are discontinued. Will try the phone with offline maps for this ride.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Put together a little ride route that is hopefully curvy AND shady. Going to camp one night which is why the big green bag is on the pillion seat. It contains my 3” memory foam, Coleman inflatable twin mattress, my sleeping bag, and tent poles.

Tent is in one saddlebag, while 2 pillows are in the other. The rest in the top case.

Here is my general route Day one. Sticking to the hilliest terrain.
View attachment 445072
Day 2
View attachment 445073

The last time I slept on the ground didn’t go very well, so here’s hoping for a pain free restful night.

Did a 30 mile test ride today to see how it feels.
View attachment 445074 View attachment 445075

I don’t have GPS mounted yet. I exhausted my Garmin Zumo 660 mounts and the few stores that have them want double since they are discontinued. Will try the phone with offline maps for this ride.
Looking forward to your impressions of the bike. A good friend just bought one and loves it so far. It’s a very nice looking and comfortable bike, but I haven’t ridden one yet…pretty sure it’ll be top of the list when the time comes.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! What a day! The roads did not disappoint!
All the roads can be ridden on the Road Glide , but a few place might catapult you off the seat if you are not ready for them. 😳

The shade and the elevation helped keep the temps in the lower 80s except when rolling through a town or dropping elevation in the sun.

I need to go ahead and get a point and shoot that I can use while rolling or a momentary stop in the road. The curves just didn’t have places to safely stop and fiddle with the phone or even think about getting off the bike.

You can’t really zoom in enough on the maps to show the curves as they are experienced without having dozens of photos, but here is one sample.

Tire Wheel Plant Plant community Vehicle
Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Automotive lighting Vehicle
Ecoregion Map Water Geological phenomenon Screenshot

Don’t mind the pink phone. I grabbed my wife’s old phone as the sacrificial navigation device and hot spotted it to my phone that stayed safely in my jacket pocket. Worked pretty well because I also downloaded offline maps of the area.

It didn’t get off to a good start though so I had to stop in Lynchburg and get it navigating correctly.
Tire Wheel Window Vehicle Infrastructure

Google was set for fuel efficient routing so Iguess that meant it would take me on slower back roads that had less stops but about the same distance. This gave me the opportunity to enjoy the scenery a little more.
Tire Sky Wheel Building Property
Cloud Sky Plant Tire Wheel
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

I also found some more old gas stations which indeed make some of the best backgrounds for bike photos.
Sky Wheel Building Window Tire
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Building Vehicle

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
Does Lil Bo Peep know you found her lost sheep....and have been farting on it all day?

That Rte 85.....on you Kawi 300 with Supermoto Tires.........drop me off with a Gas Jug and come back 5 hours later as I'm just gonna run that back and forth and back and forth and back a few times more........damn that looks fun

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,703 Posts
Looks like a great ride and I'll bet those curves are a blast.👍

Reactions: Jacksprat56

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know @Bruce00 and @Uncle Fuzzy want to see the food pics.
Lunch stop was in the town of Monterey, TN. Another different version of a Chile Relleno.
Helmet Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plant Asphalt
Food Tableware Dishware Table Recipe

Dinner was at the newly completed Fall Creek Falls Lodge. Got a lake view table and enjoyed fish tacos.
Sky Cloud Plant Land vehicle Tire

Food Table Tableware Dishware Ingredient

Sky Property Water Cloud Shade

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,711 Posts
I hope your lunch meal was better than it looked, they get a "D" for presentation. No color on the plate, and the refried beans looks like something a cow left behind, not to mention that they give you enough beans to live off of for 3 days! lol

Dinner is a lot better looking and hopefully tasted as good as it looks.

So, I guess Tenn. doesn't issue a paper temporary plate for a new vehicle? They probably give you a temp. registration that you keep in your wallet instead, I'd guess. Every state I've lived in issues you a paper temp. plate that's good for anywhere from 10 - 30 days so I'm curious how they handle it there. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
1,703 Posts
I love story time......... an the pictures that go with it....
Dam 2Wheel....it's like your taking the fourm with you, as you go,
I am with fuzzy on the food presentation, is it hard to find authentic Mexican food in Tennessee? One other thing how did the bike ride and handle with the saddlebags and your duffel bag, does the lambskin seat cover make you feel funny? Last but not least is that a windshield extension on top of your windshield?? Quite a bit of upgrades in such a short period of time....
It just seems that we would be hard to ride aggressive with all of that weight on the rear of the bike, did it just take a little bit to get used to the weight distribution? Or was it fun to ride right off the rip?

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I reserved my campsite a few days ago there was only one campsite available in the entire state park, and they let me reserve it for one night on a weekend. Only thing I can figure is someone reserved a week starting on Saturday because they usually make you book the weekend at popular parks.
When I pulled in my neighbor came over to check out the bike and he told me that he and others he talked to had booked their sites a year in advance.
It was actually a pretty nice spot.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Fuel tank
Tent Tarpaulin Nature Leaf Natural environment

Comforts of home. I actually slept comfortably but did wake up at 0430.
After I set up camp I rode the scenic roads in the park.
Tire Cloud Sky Wheel Water
Plant Tire Plant community Cloud Wheel
Sky Cloud Mountain Tree Natural landscape
Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Plant
Cloud Sky Ecoregion Plant Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Plant community Mountain Natural landscape
Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Plant

After the scenic ride, I went to the lodge for dinner. They had a special parking spot for me.

Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope your lunch meal was better than it looked, they get a "D" for presentation. No color on the plate, and the refried beans looks like something a cow left behind, not to mention that they give you enough beans to live off of for 3 days! lol

Dinner is a lot better looking and hopefully tasted as good as it looks.

So, I guess Tenn. doesn't issue a paper temporary plate for a new vehicle? They probably give you a temp. registration that you keep in your wallet instead, I'd guess. Every state I've lived in issues you a paper temp. plate that's good for anywhere from 10 - 30 days so I'm curious how they handle it there. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Yes, Tennessee has temp plates. It is in the tour pack. :cautious: If Barney blue lights me, I will apologize and attach the plate.
I never though much about presentation and Mexican food. That meal was $6.99. It also tasted good.
Dinner did taste very good.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,711 Posts
Yes, Tennessee has temp plates. It is in the tour pack. :cautious: If Barney blue lights me, I will apologize and attach the plate.
I never though much about presentation and Mexican food. That meal was $6.99. It also tasted good.
Dinner did taste very good.
Haha. I would never do that because with my luck I'd end up with some small town LEO who happens to be a 'Barney dickhead' lighting me up. I have all the respect in the world for LEOs, but I also have a strong aversion to dickheads and every force has one. I try not to give them a reason to stop me.

I hear what you're saying about it just being an inexpensive Mexican lunch, and it probably looked better in person but the total lack of color in the picture doesn't help it. As the expression says, "You eat with your eyes first". Nice pics as always and it looks like a great riding route. Enjoy the rest of the ride.

Reactions: twowheeladdict

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love story time......... an the pictures that go with it....
Dam 2Wheel....it's like your taking the fourm with you, as you go,
I am with fuzzy on the food presentation, is it hard to find authentic Mexican food in Tennessee? One other thing how did the bike ride and handle with the saddlebags and your duffel bag, does the lambskin seat cover make you feel funny? Last but not least is that a windshield extension on top of your windshield?? Quite a bit of upgrades in such a short period of time....
It just seems that we would be hard to ride aggressive with all of that weight on the rear of the bike, did it just take a little bit to get used to the weight distribution? Or was it fun to ride right off the rip?
Most Mexican food that caters to ‘mericans is Americanized. We have a few places near the farms and chicken processing plants that serves authentic Mexican indigenous people’s food. Not sure if that was what you meant compared to fine dining Mexican fare.

The bike handles fine with 107 lbs of luggage and contents attached. The bags alone weigh 36 lbs. As long as nothing shifts is key to handling. I did have a gallon of liquid in the top case. 23 lbs of stuff in top case, the side cases had 7 and 13 lbs. The dry bags and contents 28 lbs.

I haven’t ridden it with all the bags off to see how it will handle though.

The Lambskin makes me feel comfortable and no sweaty monkey butt! Wool keeps you cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter so “they” say. Whoever “they“ is.

Part of the fun of a new bike is making it your own.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Day 2: Got rolling a little before 0700. The temps were in the low 60s and the roads were calling my name. Little did I know that the roads were also calling every manner of creature, large and small to cross in front of me.
Had to do a quick swerve for a woodchuck, but at least woodchucks are committed to their path unlike a squirrel. I never swerve for a squirrel.
I saw many deer today and had one pass in front of me so fast it was just a flash. I was going slow on a narrow road in the Tennessee river gorge and it was hightailing into the mountains. If it would have run into my side I’m sure I wouldn’t be writing this right now.
I also had a few close encounters with flying birds that I am hoping just snatched that hornet out of my path! Speaking of hornets, one made it past my cracked open face shield and stung me on the upper lip when I tried to brush it away. That woke me up!
Back to the roads. They were awesome even though I was riding on high alert!
I took a chance and stopped on Daus Mountain road to snap this photo.
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Plant Vehicle

The photo doesn't capture the road grade, but a couple strategic crops give you an idea of the curves.
Plant Automotive lighting Tree Motor vehicle Asphalt

Plant Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Infrastructure

Slope Map Geological phenomenon Pattern Art

Daus Mountain Road dropped me into the Sequatchie Valley. It is an amazing place to explore. I crossed over to the east side and then south on East Valley Road until I got to Suck Creek Road.

Here's a link to the Google map of the area. The more you zoom in the more little roads up and down the mountains you will find.

Suck Creek Road always puts me on high alert because this is where the drug addled driver hit my Sister and BIL head on while they were riding his wide glide. Happened back in 2014. They recovered for the most part

I got to the Chattanooga side of suck creek road I turned to hug the Tennessee river gorge. The road dropped down to kiss the river and back up for some nice views
Water resources Ecoregion Map Nature Natural environment

Sections of this road are not Road Glide friendly. Ride at your own risk.
Tire Plant Sky Wheel Cloud

Sky Water Tire Plant Cloud

Tire Wheel Sky Water Plant

I did run across another antique gas station and stopped for the photo o
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Sky Automotive parking light Gas pump

The bike now has 800 miles on it and I am pretty impressed with it. The only minor things right now is that it idles like it has a hot cam in it, there is some vibrations felt through the grips but not enough to make my finger tingle or numb, and checking the oil requires riding the bike 10 miles first.

Looking forward to 2 weeks on the Road Glide. Coming up real soon.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does Lil Bo Peep know you found her lost sheep....and have been farting on it all day?

That Rte 85.....on you Kawi 300 with Supermoto Tires.........drop me off with a Gas Jug and come back 5 hours later as I'm just gonna run that back and forth and back and forth and back a few times more........damn that looks fun
You don't have to have a vivid imagination to know what Lil Bo Peep and I used it for before it landed on my bike.😏

Check out my post above. So many place to rip around here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts