Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meeting my best buddy in Atlanta this weekend. Anyone know any good twisy routes in the area? I've ridden HWY 136 up near Jasper but that's the only road I know and it's short although very fun. Open to suggestions in the region as we're know to ride all day.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's my backyard!

Everything north of Jasper is magnificent! Just a little farther to the north on 515 lies Blue Ridge. Just north of town take hw 60 east to Morganton/Suches. When ya get to Suches, take SR 180 North (know as Wolf Pen Gap... best to run northbound, as you'll be assending, not decending... You'll end up on Ga 129) Or you can continue 60 into Dahlonega.

The Dragon (US 129) is within easy reach. Go run it if you've got to. (Been there done that... got the t-shirts) IMHO it's too dangerous (marketing hype,) because of all the idiots who go to "concour" it. Each time I've been, I've seen riders down. One in grave condition.... kinda ruins your "Zen," if ya know what I mean.

A much more enjoyable ride imho, is the Cherohala Skyway. Runs from Telico Plains Tn, to Robbinsville NC. 53 miles that runs up and over a mountain ridge. Long sweepers with more speed. You can take your time, and enjoy the view... ya can't do that on the Dragon.

Your entering some of the premier cycle touring roads in the nation.... can't really make a wrong turn.

Have a blast, ride safe.

:cool:Beavz

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips I'm taking notes and will try to map out some of these routes. The weather is supposed to be great so I can't wait to get on the road tomorrow.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Brasstown Bald, outta Young Harris, Ga - highest peak in Georgia.

www.cherohala.com Lots of info on various routes.

If you get up into North Carolina....
One of my favorite rides is 64/28 out of Franklin into Highlands. Runs up a gorge with 5 waterfalls along the way. Absolutely breathtaking!
Don't know how much time you've got, but it ain't enough!!!!!!!

Once again, ride safe and have a blast!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beavz I took some of the routes you mentioned and was absolutely blown away! HWY 60 and all the others in that area were gorgeous and so much fun. My buddy and I had a blast and can't wait to get up there again to do some more exploring. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Anytime, Taker!

Got a buddy in Florida who rode up (with his brother) from Florida yesterday. 300+ miles through the rain! His inlaws have a little cabin up outta Blue Ridge.
Took tomorrow off... gonna meet up with them and ride up to Franklin then into Highlands. Hope to put somewhere from 300 to 500 miles on the bike tomorrow. Like I told ya... can't hardly go wrong in any direction.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Give me a heads up before you come next time... we'll get some saddle time in together.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I have to agree with Beavz the Cherohala Skyway is very nice and not crowded like the Dragon. If you don't want to go that far north, try US 76 between Blairsville and Clayton, GA.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have to agree with Beavz the Cherohala Skyway is very nice and not crowded like the Dragon. If you don't want to go that far north, try US 76 between Blairsville and Clayton, GA.
Yep...

Then head on up 441 north into Franklin, then 64 up into Highlands (one of me favorites.) Take 106 (Dillard hwy) back down to Dillard.

This is an AWESOME LOOP!

In that area..... heck, they ALL are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts