Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The edge of my light with low beams at night is only like 15 feet in front of the bike, which makes me think that the headlights need to be adjusted up.

Is it a simple thing to get to the hex adjustment screws on the inner fairing? I looked down and saw them after checking the manual last night and would like to adjust them tonight.

Whats the best way to get to them? Small allen wrench from above or below? ratchet with allen head socket?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Eagle is right. 4.5 mm. There are openings on the inner fairing side. It's not easy to see but it's not too bad to find the heads once you get a socket in there.

I'd strongly recommend buying the service manual. Very helpful and informative.

Phil

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Eagle is right. 4.5 mm. There are openings on the inner fairing side. It's not easy to see but it's not too bad to find the heads once you get a socket in there.

I'd strongly recommend buying the service manual. Very helpful and informative.

Phil
+1 on the service manual. adjusting them up will GREATLY improve your visability. just make sure you turn the lil screws the equal number of turns in the same direction or youll start moving the lights off to the left or right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok I'm feeling a little slow today. I can't for the life of me remember where I put my owners manual. Would someone be kind enough to tell me the height and distance to aim the headlights. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Ok I'm feeling a little slow today. I can't for the life of me remember where I put my owners manual. Would someone be kind enough to tell me the height and distance to aim the headlights. Thanks.
I dont believe theres a set height. Turn each, 1 full turn or as many as it takes to get them where youre happy with it.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
I believe it takes a 4.5 mm socket

Eagle
3/16 six point deep well works just fine. No need to go buy a 4.5MM socket.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Adjust them so the Low beam actually is useful. I honestly could give a crap if an occasional oncoming driver flashes me. If everyone does, ok, then that's a problem. But the bottom line is that we have FAR less lighting at our disposal than a car. We need that light about 10x more IMO!

I put the bike on a simple scissor lift which does not lift the bike, but holds it upright. Then use a 3/16th nut driver (becuase it's close enough to 4.5mm) and adjust the lights such that they are basically straight out. I check where the beam is "hot" by walking about 10-15 ft in front of the bike, crouch down and see where the light is blinding. You will be surprised how low you have to crouch to get blinded if you have the DOT setting. A little bit below level is perfect in MY opinion.

IF you can't get the headlight pointed high enough without the lights being pushed out far enough to darn near push the bezel off, you're going to need to pull the fairing (or a headlight on the '10+ bikes) and adjust the top back.

I pull up behind cops routinely at night and have never one time had them give me a second look. (Of course I'm not aiming my beam at their side mirror like I do to asshats that I want to move the hell over... )My safety is far more important than getting flashed on rare occasion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Triplej That's what I was looking for. THe other suggestions are greatly appreciated as well.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am having the same problem.. The headlights are lighting up the ground right in front of the bike. When I added LED 's a couple of weeks ago, I adjusted them up some while I had them off. They are still running too low IMHO, but the fairing is now back on. Where are these "holes" that was mentioned. I cannot see any way to adjust them on my 2013 RG, without first removing the fairing. It would be much better to adjust them while the fairing was on.

The LED's are much better than the old bulbs it came with, but they would be MUCH better if they were pointed the correct direction.
I have been playing with an idea to modify the headlight plastic part so that I could simply remove the bezel and adjust from the front. I wonder how much interest there would be if I made a part to replace the factory part? I have a machine shop at my disposal, so I could make a whole new part, or simply modify the existing part.

·
Super Moderator
1,816 Posts
Aiming headlights.

Ok,

1. Air in your tires is at the pressure you like to ride.
2. Put a piece of duct tape 25 feet away from your target wall.
3. Line up front axle on the tape mark
4. You should be mounted on the bike to aim the lights properly
5. Have your assistant measure from the ground to the centre of the headlights.
6. The centre of your beam should be at the same height on your target wall. I placed a piece of duct tape vertically on my target wall and have the measurements for my bike and a few buddies bikes marked with a sharpie pen on the piece of tape.
7. To adjust, feel for the two adjusting holes on the inner fairing in front of the tach and speedo housings. You should be able to feel the adjuster hex. Use a 4.5mm or 3/16 deep socket on a 1/4 inch drive to adjust the lights up or down to measure the same height at 25 feet from the front axle. You may have to swing the handlebars right or left to access the holes, depending on the size of your forearms.
8. Personally I have my L.E.D.'s aimed about an inch higher at 25 feet.

When night riding up here I ride with my high beams on in the country and switch to low beam when oncoming traffic is about 4- 5 power poles away. We don't get to ride at night much because of winter but when I do I always like to see the deer, moose and elk before they wander out onto the road.

Calgaryglide

Reactions: sloride

·
Registered
317 Posts
AHHH!!!! the light just came on. With your directions, I found the holes and the screws I as thinking they would be way more forward then they really are. Thanks a bunch Will be working on this tonight if I get the time.. Seeing as me and the Wife are fighting, I am thinking I'll more than ample time...:serious:
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
How high "should" be dimension 5 in the diagram. Can't find that info anywhere! Need to adjust mine after installing the 21" with -1" monotubes. Expecting the air ride soon as well, so will be adjusting them again probably. But nowhere can I find how high the lights should shine at 25ft.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
It's the vertical distance up/down from horizontal center (with bike upright) of your headlights. ...... that main beam line 26ft ahead....at that

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
How high "should" be dimension 5 in the diagram. Can't find that info anywhere! Need to adjust mine after installing the 21" with -1" monotubes. Expecting the air ride soon as well, so will be adjusting them again probably. But nowhere can I find how high the lights should shine at 25ft.

Check the Item 6. Reading very closely it appears the height is based on the height of the centerline of your bulb from the floor (Item 5), then the line 5 would be 2.1" below that.

That's the way I read it, dunoh

·
Registered
962 Posts
I usually take 10 paces in front of the bike and center the brightest spot on my knees. This usually keeps the brightest spot below trunk lids when following cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Adjustment screws

Can someone shoot a photo of where the adjustment screws are. Im just not getting it. Sorry its definitely me :nerd:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts