Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's involved in replacing the headlight bulbs? It doesn't look to me to be "intuitively obvious".

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
The only way I know of to change or replace the headlight bulbs would be to remove the outer fairing. I know that removing the outer fairing is required on the 08 and earlier models, I don't know if HD made it easier on the newer models.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
You can pop the headlight bezel out with a flat head screwdriver and access the lights. The entire headlight housing can be quickly removed without removing the fairing. It's really simple, but I recommend getting a service manual. It will come in very handy when you need it most.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
You can pop the headlight bezel out with a flat head screwdriver and access the lights. The entire headlight housing can be quickly removed without removing the fairing. It's really simple, but I recommend getting a service manual. It will come in very handy when you need it most.
I knew that HD made a design change to the headlight assembly on the newer models but I was not sure if the bulbs could be changed without removing the outer fairing. I do know that if you have a 08 or older models you will need to remove the outer fairing because there is no way to remove the headlight assembly without removing the outer fairing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect - thanks a bunch, and yes, the Service Manuals are on the top of my "NEED" list. The stock lamps are much too dim, so they're coming out and Philips X-tremes are going in.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I knew that HD made a design change to the headlight assembly on the newer models but I was not sure if the bulbs could be changed without removing the outer fairing.
Oops. Good catch Mark. I failed to specify newer Roadies.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Oops. Good catch Mark. I failed to specify newer Roadies.
Thanks! Sometimes it would help if the original poster would specify the year of the bike .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! Sometimes it would help if the original poster would specify the year of the bike .
Is 'dat a hint???

Al
Southern NH
2011 Road Glide Ultra
2005 Concours

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I think that Chainsaw has a video on how to remove the headlight. It's very easy; in fact, when you remove your faring it's easier to put it back on the clip if you remove the headlight assembly and put your hand through to clip it on.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm having a hell of a time getting the upper part of the bezel to come out...Bottom was easy...but the top looks like it wants to snap......

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I had the same problem. Took the outer fairing off to change out speakers. I read the thread about how easy it was to get the shell back on with the light out. I fought with it for an hour and finally gave up. I got either the top or bottom tabs loose but I was afraid I was going to break the others. I'm too stupid to get the light out but putting the fairing back on was easy.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Got it out and installed new bulbs...The 2 top tabs are easy....Just have to do bottom first, then press the headlamps back some to rotate bezel forward and up, then a little more and a slight tug and it pops right out.....

·
Registered
334 Posts
The tops tabs are a bugger. I ended up breaking one off, and so I ordered the gloss black replacement one.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
The headlight assembly was changed in 2010, the 2009 and earlier models were designed to remove the fairing to change bulbs (I am not sure what rocket scientist dreamed that up).

I modified the headlight assembly on my 2009 so I can remove the bulbs without removing the fairing. I travel a lot of highway miles and it did not make sense that I could not change out a bulb in a auto parts parking lot if needed. While I have gotten really good at removing and replacing the fairing, it is not something that I want to do on the road.

I have seen posts were people have purchased the 2010 headlight assembly and used it in earlier models.

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Perfect - thanks a bunch, and yes, the Service Manuals are on the top of my "NEED" list. The stock lamps are much too dim, so they're coming out and Philips X-tremes are going in.
I was thinkin about upgrading my stock lights to the something brighter as well. What H size bulbs do our RG's use anywayz? I have an '07 RG.

·
Registered
453 Posts
H4, and go with PIAA Super Plasma GTX bulbs if you want the brightest traditional bulb....I know a guy that sells them <------Shameless plug.

·
Registered
303 Posts
what are people's oppinions on color temperature.

I do not want one that is too blue. I'm waivering between a "factory" 5000k and a "pure white" 6000k.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts