Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill try to explain this the best I can. During one of 1000 times I ve had the fairing on and off, I broke the plastic piece that the top adjustment screw goes through. I have no idea where it went, its not in the fairing. Is there a repair kit you can buy for this?
I don't really want to buy a new fairing, get it painted, just for this is issue. Does anyone have a beat up fairing laying around they want to cut this piece off of and sell it?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Negative. Its the plastic piece that's molded to the fairing the the adjustment bolt goes thru and that piece you posted locks into it

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,862 Posts
does your headlight move? I've busted off the back part of the upper mount, where the adjustment bolt goes through, but the clip part is still good. Headlight doesn't move, I leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About half of the upper mount is gone. Without the aftermarket bezel the light would fall forward some. With the bezel in, it stays pretty much were it should, but there is still some movement.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Negative. Its the plastic piece that's molded to the fairing the the adjustment bolt goes thru and that piece you posted locks into it
Ah! Damn... lol - I've got the same problem with the bottom mount on mine. Been limping with it for a while trying to figure out how to resolve it without (Yikes!) buying a new outer. Been thinking about pop riveting a thin piece of sheet metal to the shell that the adjuster could clip into ... But haven't had time to have a go at it yet.

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,862 Posts
Ah! Damn... lol - I've got the same problem with the bottom mount on mine. Been limping with it for a while trying to figure out how to resolve it without (Yikes!) buying a new outer. Been thinking about pop riveting a thin piece of sheet metal to the shell that the adjuster could clip into ... But haven't had time to have a go at it yet.
I would think this would be a good way to fix it, as well as using some of the current 3M adhesive to solidify it some more.
philly - you can try running a few screws in a hidden spot through your outer bezel to help keep it in place. I have a few through my Mean Mug and I wasn't keen on the idea at first, but they work well and you can't see them once they are in place.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you post a picture of where you ran the screws?

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
The outer fairing isn't that expensive. I got one from Horny Toad HD a few years back with the factory paint to match your bike for around $300. I always like to fix things right myself, I still have to old fairing, the only reason I got a new outer was because it was cheaper then paying to have it painted by by a local painter.
The headlight assembly should not be real tight in the outer fairing, if the outer is installed right there should be a slight bit of movement but not too much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts