Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,w hat's the trick to removing the plastic panel that covers the head lights? It's held on by four tabs, and I just broke two of mine off trying to remove it! Lucky for me, it's only a $10.00 part! The service manual says "pry gently." Yea, right, like I'm going to take a screwdriver to my painted fairing. Got to be an easier way.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I did it with a flat screwdriver with painters tape wrapped around it. It's in your best interest to youtube anything you are DIY on the bike to save yourself some agony!

DJ Terry Moran

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the fairing off the bike, and still coudn't remove the trim piece without breaking the tabs.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Sounds like the black edge trim/or sides of bubble buggut encrusted and/or heat swelled, 10 bucks? why worry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True, except I have to wait for the part. Not something a dealer would keep in stock. I was using the "headlight removal" technique to re-mount the fairing. Much easier to do when you can see the two little fairing hooks through the headlight opening. Think I may try some heavy duty velcro to hold the old one in place until the new part arrives. At least I was able to clean out all the old dead bug guts.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
The trick is to leave the screwdriver in your tool box....... use a butter knife. Less chance of breaking the tabs or chipping your paint.

Push the knife in until it hits the tab. Apply a little torque, and pull out on the bezel. Start with the bottom first, as it comes loose a little easier.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
+1 on the butter knife.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
+2 on that butter knife. Its thin enough to slide between the bezel and the fairing but firm enough to apply pressure without causing any damage

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Lol I thought I was the only one that used a butter knife. I have electrical tape wrapped around it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I just did this Sunday (finishing right before the superbowl) for the first time to wipe some haze that had formed out of my headlights. I just used a small flathead screwdriver, but it did seem like a little bit of an odd angle to pop it loose. It seemed like you sort of have to push it in as much as torque it a bit to get it to come loose.

That part went fine actually, then surprised how tight the four mounting screws were holding in the headlights!

Ron

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Nay, unna I probably used a butter knife to remove it before anyof ya'll, hello my name is reds and Iam a glideohlolic

1 - 16 of 16 Posts