Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2012 RG Ultra with stage 1. I am going to upgrade the heads and cams via Dan Vance with Woods 777's. Any info/advise on this mod.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Hello, I have a 2012 RG Ultra with stage 1. I am going to upgrade the heads and cams via Dan Vance with Woods 777's. Any info/advise on this mod.

Thanks
The Woods 777 cam likes more compression so you would need to install high compression pistons to get the most out of the 777. Also you will need to keep your RPM range higher with the 777 because it isn't a good low end cam.
If you are leaving the cylinders and pistons alone and running lower compression there would be better cams for your build.
Unless you are running the bike balls to the walls and want to see who can get to the next tavern the fastest there is really no need for a big build.
For a 103 the stock heads will give you plenty of power with the right cams.
Look up some dyno sheets on some Woods cams on Fuel Motos web site and you will see that the 777 won't give you much more than the 222 and the 222 will be a lot better cam for the heavier touring model Harleys. JMO

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dan Vance and Fuel moto 777 power

The Woods 777 cam likes more compression so you would need to install high compression pistons to get the most out of the 777. Also you will need to keep your RPM range higher with the 777 because it isn't a good low end cam.
If you are leaving the cylinders and pistons alone and running lower compression there would be better cams for your build.
Unless you are running the bike balls to the walls and want to see who can get to the next tavern the fastest there is really no need for a big build.
For a 103 the stock heads will give you plenty of power with the right cams.
Look up some dyno sheets on some Woods cams on Fuel Motos web site and you will see that the 777 won't give you much more than the 222 and the 222 will be a lot better cam for the heavier touring model Harleys. JMO
You should look at the Dynos Fuel moto is getting with their pipes, head and pipes. The 777 is breaking 100 ftlbs at 2400-2600 rpm in 103's depending on the build. 100 ftlbs below 2700 is plenty as long as it keeps building.

Dan Vance knows what he is doing. Have him show you some dyno's so you know what to expect.

The 222 is a good cam but if you are doing heads at the same time the 777 and 888 can make as much low end as the 222 with more upper mid range and top end.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I don't usually do the tavern/poker runs. Mostly long highway days so mid range to upper torque//HP numbers is what I'm after. I have heard nothing but great things about Dan and have a friend who did his head and cams with excellent results.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Thanks for the info. I don't usually do the tavern/poker runs. Mostly long highway days so mid range to upper torque//HP numbers is what I'm after. I have heard nothing but great things about Dan and have a friend who did his head and cams with excellent results.
If that is how you ride than the 222 is the better cam because it comes on early and it holds 100 ft lb of torque to 5000 RPM. The 777 comes on later but it will hold 100 lb of torque to 5000.
The 222 on a stock engine with exhaust and intake upgrades and a tuner will produce 112+ ft lbs of torque.
A 777 with exhaust, intake, tuner and CYLINDER HEADS upgrades only puts out 117+ ft lbs of torque.
That is ONLY 5 ft lbs of torque extra for a cost of a $1000 for the heads and thats if you do the engine work. That is $200 per ft lb for heads so IMO its not a good bang for the buck.
The money you save on heads can be better spent on other bling or a nice road trip or what ever. JMO

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
What about the infamous triple nickel, 555 woods cam. I have a couple of buddies with them in both there roadkings 2010 models with 103 .... Both of them ran away from me when I had the 95" setup. Now since the 124" is in the objects/bikers in the mirror are NOT closer than they appear. All BS aside though check the 555 out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heads and cams update

So I ended up with the Andrews 57H cams with s/s adj. push rods and thundermax tuner. I am installing this week and will advise back with results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the S&S 106, Dan Vance heads, SE adjustable push rods, Woods 555 and the woods roller lifters. I use power commander V and have had excellent results. Last Dyno was 110Hp and 115 torque.

It has more in it has well. it was running extremely rich from 2000-3000 RPMs at 100% throttle so it didnt really start pulling until after 3000 RPM's

I have worked that out but havent dyno'd again yet.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I def agree with ironmark,too many people worry about heads and such,and their problem is an incorrect cam for there engine they are running,all that extra green for how many extra ponies,no way! Got to go for bang for your buck.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
So I ended up with the Andrews 57H cams with s/s adj. push rods and thundermax tuner. I am installing this week and will advise back with results.
How did you go from wanting woods 777 to the 57H? I agree that the 57H will suit you better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The original idea was straight from Vance. After reading these posts and researching and budgeting I decided on the 57h. The bike is a totally different ride and now I may need mufflers on the V&H big shots. I plan on taking to a dyno soon, but need to dial in the tuner 100% first. Very happy with the results. Great cam for 2400 to 4500

1 - 12 of 12 Posts