Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking into quieter modular helmets for my wife and I and considering the Schuberth C3Pros. I know riders are fond of SENA10s and SENA20s, but starting to hear things about BT earbuds. Anyone familiar with BT earbuds? TIA.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Am looking into quieter modular helmets for my wife and I and considering the Schuberth C3Pros. I know riders are fond of SENA10s and SENA20s, but starting to hear things about BT earbuds. Anyone familiar with BT earbuds? TIA.

I haven't but I do use the Harley helmet "wired" headset on my 16 RGU. It's the only way to go long rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
Forgive me I know it's not your question but I went with the wired headsets in my helmets (x3) and that has really worked good. Plugging a cable in does away with Bluetooth syncing and searching confusion and dead batteries that often happens.

My son has used Bluetooth earbuds to listen to "his" music with a helmet on and says it makes his ears sore. I would think you would need a compact snug fit.

My Bluetooth earbuds I use with my phone while cutting the grass skip some and say out of range with the phone in my back pocket. That may be a consideration also. Good luck!

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I bought the Sena 10 a few years ago right after it was introduced, no problems at all, I may go to the 30 when it comes out. I personally don't like having something in my ear for a long period of time or having to deal with wires.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've not worn a Schuberth, but having been researching them recently in anticipation of purchasing a modular (now in a 3/4 with H-D wired comms). The C4 appears to be a worthwhile upgrade from the C3Pro, with the speakers and mic pre-installed. But I don't see going with a Schuberth unless I also go with their integrated SC1 comms package, which is now made by Sena. But dang, now we're talking $1,000 each for helmet and comms. Might be worth it given I can remove and replace the liner, potentially giving me 2x the life of a less expensive helmet.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I wanted a Schuberth but settled on a Scorpion. I got the Sena 10 and love it. No cords, nothing in my ears.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
UClear has to be one of the best systems I have used

·
Registered
197 Posts
I use Sena, I dont like the ones that come in the helmets, I like to buy it myself and install it. It has quick release and can mount to multiple lids. Second, I dont like in-ear, they get uncomfortable and I dont want to block out the sound from the street. I prefer to use the bikes audio or my Sena.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Sena 20s work really well. I can have phone conversations and siri listens to me. I am able to use them for hours with no problem. Also if anyone else in your group has them you can connect by physically shaking both of them and they connect for intercom. Intercom can be spotty sometimes if you don't op check them before riding. Only bad thing I would say is they don't connect to your infotainment and have to purchase the freewire. Thinking about getting it for voice commands with the Harley.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure about earbuds, but I picked up a pair of SENA SMH-10 headsets for when my dad gets his bike out and rides along, and I love them. Leaves a little to be desired as far as bass when playing music via bluetooth, but they are great for chatting while riding and are much cheaper than the SENA 10s or 20s. I would highly recommend them to someone just looking for some chat features.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My riding buddy and I both had SENA SMH10's, and liked them so much we upgraded to the 10S's when they came out.

Great sound, FM radio built in, inputs for iPods or other music players, pair with up to 4 riders.

Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Wife and I have used the scalarider Cardo Q3 set for a long time. They are not prefect but work. Little leaning curve. I know the newer models have a longer battery life and do even more. Can not compare them to others as they are the only brand we have owned. Just another one to add to your research list.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've not worn a Schuberth, but having been researching them recently in anticipation of purchasing a modular (now in a 3/4 with H-D wired comms). The C4 appears to be a worthwhile upgrade from the C3Pro, with the speakers and mic pre-installed. But I don't see going with a Schuberth unless I also go with their integrated SC1 comms package, which is now made by Sena. But dang, now we're talking $1,000 each for helmet and comms. Might be worth it given I can remove and replace the liner, potentially giving me 2x the life of a less expensive helmet.
(Old thread but current topic for me, and except for the WHIM option, the variables haven't changed much)
I am in the same place right now. My current helmet needs to be replaced, I have been wearing a cheaper modular and using an HD wired headset. I found a C4 at a clearance price.. I love the fact that it is really quiet. My decision now is: Do I go with the, by all accounts, outdated (and not that good to begin with) SC1 solution that will at least keep the helmet quiet by not compromising the aerodynamics (I would also need to install a WHIM on my 2017 RGS), or do I rip out the speakers and install: either the HD wired or an quality HD Sena (which would also require installing a WHIM).

This would be a lot easier if there was a way to test ride these setups.

One other question. The HD Service desk manager told me that, if I install the WHIM, I loose my 7 pin plug and the ability to use a wired headset. I did not think that was the case. Is he correct?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
One other question. The HD Service desk manager told me that, if I install the WHIM, I loose my 7 pin plug and the ability to use a wired headset. I did not think that was the case. Is he correct?
He is in fact correct. The WHIM plugs into the same harness the DIN connector is plugged into. So the 7pin DIN is no longer functional.

·
Registered
364 Posts
(Old thread but current topic for me, and except for the WHIM option, the variables haven't changed much)
I am in the same place right now. My current helmet needs to be replaced, I have been wearing a cheaper modular and using an HD wired headset. I found a C4 at a clearance price.. I love the fact that it is really quiet. My decision now is: Do I go with the, by all accounts, outdated (and not that good to begin with) SC1 solution that will at least keep the helmet quiet by not compromising the aerodynamics (I would also need to install a WHIM on my 2017 RGS), or do I rip out the speakers and install: either the HD wired or an quality HD Sena (which would also require installing a WHIM).

This would be a lot easier if there was a way to test ride these setups.

He is in fact correct. The WHIM plugs into the same harness the DIN connector is plugged into. So the 7pin DIN is no longer functional.
+1 on losing the wired connection if you go WHIM. Also, using the WHIM, you won't get stereo fidelity unless you go with the H-D branded headsets (made by SENA). So that defeats the purpose of the fully integrated C4 helmet.

After (too) much deliberation, I opted to go with an Arai full-face (FF) helmet and stayed with the wired headset. My reasoning was I may as well bite the bullet and go FF and, at the time, I was also considering moving from H-D to another brand. I didn't want to invest $1,000 in the WHIM and H-D headsets if I made that change. I subsequently opted to keep the bike for another year or two, but am going to stick with wired headsets for now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
+1 on losing the wired connection if you go WHIM. Also, using the WHIM, you won't get stereo fidelity unless you go with the H-D branded headsets (made by SENA). So that defeats the purpose of the fully integrated C4 helmet.
That (no stereo) was a consideration, but as long as the sound is clear, I am happy to live with mono.
I did consider the HD Boom!™ Audio N02 Full-Face Helmet. It is a 2nd rate helmet with a built in Sena 30. I suspect, with the wind noise, I won't be able to hear the music very clearly anyway and it has severe limitations, most notably: if the battery dies on the road, you are out of luck. One good thing about the SC1: you can carry an extra battery... If I go with the SC1, I'll see if I need an extra battery.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
+1 on the Aria fullface and wired. I use the J&M system and the sound is just fine (better than the wind blown away speakers) and I can crank it up and don't have to have people pissing about it. Price wise everytime I do this it's about a grand per helmet/headset, which is around every 7-10 years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the C4 and the SC1 - bad side is that the SC1 doesn't get support by Harley Boombox GTS - You have to buy additional equipment from Sena, but still no stereo and navi connection.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts