Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard mixed reviews on the HD heated grips. Does anyone here have them on their bike or can recommend another brand with good reviews? How difficult to install if self install?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Have a set of H-D slipstream heated grips on mine, they keep my hands nice and toasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
885 Posts
Did you install yourself or did you have the factory/dealer install them?

Had the Dealer do it while I had it in for the 1k Service and had a couple other items (including the WHIM) installed while they had the gas tank off anyway...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
They came on mine. I thought they were a little frivolous but found out I like them & use more than I thought I would!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the HD factory grips on my 2011 Ultra Limited. I wouldn't have considered them if they weren't part of the package. They are great... I very much preferred them to using my Gerbing heated gloves. I almost never turned them any higher than 2 (of 10).

My current ride also came with them. 2015 FLTRUSE, same experience. Handy to have and one care wear lighter gloves in cold weather. I hate the loss of dexterity with Michelin man gloves. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have used the HD heated grips that came on my bike for several years with no issues. I agree with one other that stated they never go above setting #2. They have proven to be a great addition to the bike on many occasions.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Had H-D heated grips on an '06 and my hands were warmer than the grips were. The ones on my '10 and '12 were better. The old lady has heat demons and they are really hot and easier to use also. My '16 has the H-D again and the deal was they would go away if I wasn't satisfied, but they work as well as the Heat Demons the cook has. Hate the heated gloves, no feeling for the controls.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Over the years, I've had two sets of H-D brand heated grips, and one set on Heat Demons.

My first set of H-D heated grips was a long time ago, on an '06 Softail. They failed after a couple of years. BUT-- I believe those grips have been completely re-designed since then.

I currently have the H-D heated grips, (had them installed on my 2017 FLTRU by dealer), and I'll go along with everyone else, I never have to set them above '2'. They're only a year old, but no problems yet.

I had Heat Demons, which are an aftermarket brand on my Street Glide. I installed them, (no big deal). The Heat Demons operate on a four position switch, rather than the dial vernier type switch that the H-D grips use. I thought they were fine, I had them for three or four years, always worked great. They come in black or chrome and you can get the Control switch for either the left or right side of your bars.

·
Registered
247 Posts
They came on my 2013 Ultra Limited and they worked great. So great that I'm going to add them to my 2017 RGU.
Bill

·
Registered
504 Posts
I put these on last week or so, love them...Install was pretty easy though you gotta take a lot off for just doing grips and there is ONE dust cap on one of the two wires pre-wired for heated grips on the 2017 touring models. NO NEED FOR THE jumper, extra adapter whatever. I watched two youtube videos and really barely needed the instructions, relatively easy do it yourself thing....probably charge you an hour I'd guess as there's no need to remove the gas tank and run wires. The 2017 is already pre-wired for heated grips.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/heated-rubber-hand-grips

·
Registered
15 Posts
pretty sure Ultras do not have the power plug under the speedo..... had mine out last night and couldn't find it. not sure why specials would and not ultras. that purple/blk wire is behind right speaker and beside radio (pull fairing to access)..... then of course, depending on which grips you buy, u either get a simple plug, or 3 bare wires. bare wires option has folks running the ACC cable under right side panel... and the plug version like the black rubber grips, either running to the purple/blk behind the speaker or using the included harness to tap the cig plug.

this is what i have gathered from research. The most confusing part is the special guys saying it's under the speedo, on an Ultra thread, and not identifying they have a special. took me a min to figure all this out. So posting in case someone else comes across this thread.

of course i'd love to be wrong, so if i am wrong, let me know, as i would rather go the simple way, before i finish this install tonight...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heated Grips on 2017 Road Glide Ultra

My dealer would not install them fork me, since they would have to make modifications to fit the left side, by notching out part of the grip and with the internal wiring on the bars. I miss not having them after having them on my Ultra Limited for 7 years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
CVO grips and at least the black rubber grips are made for internal wiring... maybe others too.. although they may not be the ones u want... no mods required

·
Registered
885 Posts
pretty sure Ultras do not have the power plug under the speedo..... had mine out last night and couldn't find it. not sure why specials would and not ultras. that purple/blk wire is behind right speaker and beside radio (pull fairing to access)..... then of course, depending on which grips you buy, u either get a simple plug, or 3 bare wires. bare wires option has folks running the ACC cable under right side panel... and the plug version like the black rubber grips, either running to the purple/blk behind the speaker or using the included harness to tap the cig plug.

this is what i have gathered from research. The most confusing part is the special guys saying it's under the speedo, on an Ultra thread, and not identifying they have a special. took me a min to figure all this out. So posting in case someone else comes across this thread.

of course i'd love to be wrong, so if i am wrong, let me know, as i would rather go the simple way, before i finish this install tonight...

I can confirm that there is no plug behind the speedometer on the RGU, Dealer added the accessory wiring harness under the seat and ran the wires down there.

·
Registered
504 Posts

didn't mean to confuse and didn't realize it was an Ultra thread, just thought roadglide.....and it doesn't make any sense to do it on the specials and not on the ultras. before doing the install, it was confusing as I saw 50/50 on wired and you have to remove the tank....took a chance and looked, nice that it was the easy route for me. Nonsense that it's not for the ultra's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I finally finished my install on '17 ultra. I did them at the same time as new bars. using the black rubber grips (inside handlebar wires) .
Couple of notes on my install.
The package comes with a harness to plug into the back of a cig plug, then the wires that were connected to the cig, get plugged into those.. For one, the harness is not long enough to reach the cig plug, and they are not loose wires the harness requires to adapt. It's a big plug holding both posi and neg, and wont work. MOCO does not list ULTRA in the fitment, this is probably why.

I already had the violet/blk wire on right side being used for something else, so i bought (69200921) Y-splitter to plug into the left side violet/blk wires (other end of cig plug) then stripped the wires off one side of Y and soldered and taped it. a cleaner install would be to find the correct plug and use that. but since i wasn't stripping factory wire harness, it didn't matter to me...

I found it was much easier to run the power wire harness under the fairing by removing the headlight, then using a fish tape (weed eater line) to route it to the speedo.

install was fairly easy, just time consuming.

after the bar install with heated grips, everything is working and no codes came up :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
The black rubber grips heat up the quickest. They are great and get really hot. I've ridden in mid 30's with just my thinner fall gloves on. I haven't needed my heated gloves yet this winter. I also installed the Heat Demon seat warmer. That works great. Both are worth every penny. Some say that the grips only heat the inside of your hands but the heat does warm your gloves too. Making it doable with temps in the 30's. Any lower and I'm plugging in all my heated gear anyway. The seat warmer heats your whole lower body keeping your core temp up. Some would say their butt is the last thing that gets cold but that heat travels through your whole body. I just bought the cheap $50 seat warmer version with on/off switch and hooked it up to an extra heat troller I had and it worked perfect instead of the switch. You will need a controller. At full blast you will roast and won't last 10 minutes without turning it on and off repeatedly. A simple on/off switch won't cut it. I recommend getting your own heat troller and not getting the more expensive version with the hi/low switch. It will cost about the same but you will have more heat settings.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts